Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Interesting chart comparing NY and Sweden.

upload_2020-8-26_14-50-31.png

Not sure Cuomo putting a book out about leadership lessons on Covid is a good idea LOL..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    should not he read one first....?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Wow- I'm just amazed I could get 2 disagrees from RIP and AZ. So disappointed.
    There was frankly nothing to disagree about, so let me take my statements one at a time and figure out what these 2 disagreed with...

1) Looking across the water, Spain had one of the most severe lockdowns in the world.
    Perhaps RIP and AZ don't know, but this is true. My son lives there. He said they could get a huge fine for simply venturing out of their apartment.
    Is that what they disagree with?

2) However, Spain has now opened up their country and now the cases are going back up.
    Again, what is to disagree with? It's all over the web. It was in WSJ today.
    Here's a link, but it's all over.
    https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe...more-than-3500-new-cases-20200827-p55pp4.html
    Why would anyone disagree with this?

3) Sweden didn't lock down at all (this is a slight exaggeration, but in general its true) and they have had zero resurgence.
    Again, how can anyone disagree with this. The numbers are the numbers. Here's the graph until august 1st. ..
    After August 1st, Sweden has gone up a tiny bit, with Spain climbing higher.
    [​IMG]

So again, who can disagree with that?

4)Then I said perhaps Sweden hasn't had much resurgence due to herd immunity. I have no idea, it was just speculation. Hence the word PERHAPS and the question mark at the end of the sentence.
    PERHAPS RIP and AZ don't understand what speculation is.
    If I felt strongly about it, I would have been more definitive. I was just speculating.
    Not worth throwing negative rep up, unless perhaps these facts made them feel uncomfortable.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Not disagreeing with the Spain numbers. They are disconcerting, and if people aren't vigilant by doing things like wearing masks, this is what happens. Numbers spike.

I am disagreeing with the assessment that Sweden has hit herd immunity. Several factors say they aren't even close, including the fact that the entire country tends to take the month of July off, meaning a built-in, social distancing goes into effect. In addition, after the seeing COVID-19 numbers for Sweden versus their Nordic neighbors, the Swedes took it upon themselves to socially distance and attempt to cut numbers. Last, school is out in Sweden, and I think now is just starting to open up. These factors are much more likely to explain what is happening re: Covid-19 in Sweden than herd immunity.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Don't take it so personally. I understand what speculation is perfectly. I disagree that perhaps they have reached herd immunity. I am also speculating. I just hadn't had time yet to respond to the actual post.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    NC State students ordered to leave university housing after 'unrelenting' spread of COVID-19

Both UNC and NC st have sent the students home from campus. Why is the ACC still planning on playing football?

If its not safe for students its not safe for athletes. If I were a parent and my kid got sent home but they still played football, I would be lining up my lawyer for a title IX discrimination lawsuit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Personally I think a lot of colleges opened up with the intent to go fully remote...solely for the revenue of on campus living, student fees, and to encourage not taking a gap year. Pure speculation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Shame on you. You and RIP need to be more concerned about feelings and such as you wantonly toss about emojis.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    And Sweden didn't open full up and encourage tourism like Spain did. And 40% of swedes live in single member households

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Wonder if they are going to refund all that dorm money now?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Woodson said students will receive prorated refunds for their fall semester housing and dining, and students with special circumstances can apply for waivers to stay on-campus. During his news conference, Woodson said students who meet the following criteria can apply to stay on campus, and should do so as soon as possible:
    • Students who cannot return home due to international or out-of-state travel restrictions
    • Students experiencing financial hardships or housing insecurity
    • Students from rural parts of the state that might have less access to internet connectivity
    • Students who have a parent, guardian or sibling who is high risk for COVID-19

football players fall under special circumstances.......lol

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Former college football player, 25, dies from COVID-19

Peterson’s fiancee found him unresponsive and lying on his apartment floor after checking on him after work, according to W.S. Neal assistant football coach Robbie Grace. Grace spoke to AL.com on behalf of Peterson’s mother, Yolanda Nelson.

According to Grace, Peterson tested positive for COVID-19 two weeks ago, and quarantined in his apartment. His family said Peterson’s condition deteriorated over the weekend.

Both Peterson’s fiancee and his roommate were concerned about Peterson’s coughing and breathing on Sunday, according to Grace, but the coach said Peterson wanted to try and fight through the illness rather than go to the hospital.

Grace coached Peterson in high school, and said he had asthma when he played. That didn’t stop him from excelling on the field, though. He was at Stillman when its football program was shuttered, and then transferred to Faulkner University. Most recently, Peterson was an assistant manager at Lowe’s in Montgomery.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    So flawed, even dishonest, certainly unintelligible

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn’t realize a chart was so difficult to grasp. My bad. I would love to know how it’s dishonest. It’s numbers. Numbers don’t lie.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  15. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Here are the eagerly awaited updated stats from world o meter as of 8 am EDT. There was a decrease in active cases yesterday of over 25,000. There were 21 states that had a decrease in active cases. There were 9 states with 1-2 deaths and 6 states with 0 deaths yesterday.
    0 8-27-1.JPG
    0 8-27-2.JPG

16. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The death rate per reported case fell again yesterday.
    0 8-27-3.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  17. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    If I had said, "Sweden has achieved herd immunity!" Then that would have been declarative.
    That is something to disagree with.
    But I said PERHAPS they had. Like it was 1 of many possible possibilities. I mean- it's possible.
    Neither you nor anyone else can say without a shadow of a doubt that its impossible. Unless you have almost infinite knowledge.

So yeah- that's not something you can really disagree with. AGain, I was SPECULATING not declaring.
    It was a random thought about something that has happened.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    That was disagreed with, you are still complaining about that?
    There are people that will "disagree" or "come on man" 40 posts in two minutes based solely on the OP and not the content. Not particularly right nor does it add value but people generally don't complain about it every time it happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I said as much and my tennis team partner, who is a Department Head at UNCG implied as much when we spoke about the re-opening.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    No disrespect intended, but I am hoping that you really do not care we I, or others, say on a message board or rate your posts? It is by no means an attempt to belittle or disparage you or your point of view. They may simply disagree with you....that is what having a forum for differing opinions is designed to foster, no?

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1