Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    perhaps the virus entered through their eyes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. pcamera01

pcamera01 Freshman

Jul 21, 2020
    OK but we regularly see links from Huff Post, Vox & Slate referenced here and they are in the exact position on the opposite side of the spectrum as Breitbart is. So Huff post "batshit" crazy too?

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    One of them had a cough that they thought was allergies, and I don't remember the other one's symptoms.

4. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    On a census test, that is actually not good news at all. 0.83% total active infection rate is quite high. Over the entire country, that would mean something like 3 million active cases. That is a fairly large seed population.

These aren't the opt-in tests, which have much higher positive rates.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    possible if they spent any time in close proximity to an infected person who wasn't masked.

7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Do they live in a community with high infection rates? Any children or grandchildren that visit without both parties mask up? Sadly it seems that is how too many people get infected, ie asymptomatic family/friends that they trust. Hope they both do well. Until we get the community infection rates down we are all at risk, it just doesn't get real to some until it hits close to home.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Masks aren't 100%, not even N95 are 100%, but most masks are quite a bit lower than 100%. So it could also just be the mask didn't work. Just takes one time, one of them, then one infected the other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I wouldn't know, since I visit Huff Post exactly as much as I visit Breitbart or Fox News. That is to say, zero.

I don't think those are even linked all that often, honestly. More than zero, but some conservatives basically ONLY use some particular websites - because they don't trust the "lying mainstream media" or whatever - so they trust some batshit crazy site instead. You probably weren't here before many of them left, there's only a couple here left that tend to do that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Couple Alabama and Notre Dame and we don't have a high rate at all.

11. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't know about their infection rates but their whole family is going to get tested now, kids and grandkids.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    It is a highly contagious airborne virus and I think it's pretty obvious that a decent chunk of the population are, dare I say, "immune" to it. As you've noted, all the necessary precautions were taken by your in laws and they still got it. Every place that has seen a surge are places that were not hard hit before the shut down. We could probably let 'er rip and there's not going to be millions of deaths.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  13. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Well, the words were "almost immune" and people are taking him out of context. As for kids spreading the disease, they're doing that now, without being at school. It is not as if kids have been under quarantine for the past few months.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    It's anecdotal, but my district runs 26 elementary schools. During the average, normal summer, 8 of them run a summer camp, with about 1/2 capacity at each. The town I live in is just under 70 square miles, so the schools that hold camp are strategically placed so people don't have to drive too far to find a school that is holding a camp.

This year, they moved all elementary school summer camps to the three high schools in the district, and limited the numbers so that there were no more than 10 campers per one counsellor. Overall numbers were way down too. I don't have exact figures, but likely cut by 25% or more.

Was there community spread during these camps in the summer? Probably. Does the amount of potential community spread during the summer equal the potential if schools reopen and are even at 75% of normal operating capacity? Not even close. So many more kids and adults will be packed into smaller spaces during school than during the summer.

• Like Like x 1
  15. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Wh
    when does school start in your county?

17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    More evidence that nursing home infections are directly related to the community infection rates. The thought of isolating is great, the reality not so much as nursing homes are struggling, and failing, to keep the virus out, especially in hot spots. Selfish people going to bars and other mass gatherings with no respect for how they are raising the community infection rates which ultimately raises the deaths in the nursing homes.

For all those advocating for less restrictions and isolating and protecting those most likely to die...IT DOESN"T WORK...increase community infection rates correlates directly to increase infection rates even in facilities that do not accept guests

Covid-19 surges back into nursing homes in coronavirus hot spots

A separate analysis of 35 states released July 21 by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that cases in long-term care facilities jumped 11 percent in the two weeks ending July 10. But in 23 hot spot states, they rose 18 percent, compared with just 4 percent in 12 states that had the virus under better control. That review included nursing homes, assisted-living facilities and other kinds of long-term care.
    …………………..……………..
    Much of the surge is blamed on younger adults who flocked to bars, restaurants, beaches and parties, where some picked up the infection. Many of them displayed no symptoms but were highly infectious to others — including the staff and visitors of nursing homes.
    …………………..…………………………………………..
    “The number one way we can reduce covid in nursing homes is if everybody in the country would wear a mask,” he said. “When people make the conscious decision not to wear a mask, they are making a decision that will kill older people.”
    …………………..………………………………………...
    But with testing still inadequate and protective equipment for workers lacking in some places, it is still too early to know, said Vincent Mor, a professor in Brown University’s School of Public Health who studies long-term care. Community spread is still having the strongest influence. “The exact same phenomenon that [took place] in New York, New Jersey and Seattle is working here,” Mor said.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Took a short hike out to Knife River today. Dog enjoyed it! Knife River2.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  19. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Started last Wednesday in my district. Some in the area started a week earlier and the latest started this week. We don't have country school districts. Too big. Each suburb city has their own public school system, and Phoenix has a few. Some districts overlap city lines.

All school in Arizona is online until 8/17. The Governor put out guidelines metrics and as to when school can start, but they are guidelines, not mandates. Most districts have agreed to keep online until metrics are met except a few of the more red district. They're going back 8/17.

20. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    oh wow well I hope it all works and any potential outbreak is controlled quickly. I check out AZ numbers here and there.