Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    We were way way behind on testing and manufacturing PPE. That's the first thing a good president would have done. Also a good president would not have been totally downplaying the threat the virus posed, saying stuff like we'd be close to zero cases soon and that the virus would just magically go away. And then since February, outside of a brief period in late March where he pretended to take the virus seriously, he's been a total disaster. A good president would not be telling people to liberate their states and intentionally dividing the country at a time we need to come together most. Trump has been a total disaster for the US, and the numbers clearly show that and unfortunately will continue to do so. We could not have had a worse leader through all this.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    california shut down hard for 3 months and still is blowing up. By your standards we are home schooling until a vaccine is available. That isn’t feasible.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    LOL.. It's not readily apparent that you have no clue what you're talking about or anything. Just keep it simple: Trump bad, GOP bad, hurr hurr.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  4. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Trump had the dire IC assessment in January. We knew what was going on in China. Boots on the ground and signals intelligence. That info never got to CDC. Defenders of the incompetence in the White House tend to forget facts like this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    I was going to ask the same thing, what’s the number of cases in Germany compared to the US? What level of social distancing and social responsibility are their citizens taking with their kids outside of school compared to ours? There’s no way it’s an apples to apples comparison, Americans are putting their kids at risk far more than any of the European nations that have gotten spread under control. I’m sure spread will look very different if one or two kids are infected in the school compared to hundreds or thousands here.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    California has not been shut down hard. California had to re-order most indoor business to shut down this month. They had reopened and cases shot up.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    Where did I say he called the virus a hoax? I didn’t.

Trump’s poor performance during this crisis cannot be fixed by spinning after the fact. He had several weeks of warning as Europe was the first epicenter of the crisis, and he failed to learn from it because he didn’t want to learn. It was always about the economy with Trump, and by failing to act he made it worse. And, as four former CDC heads wrote today, “No president has undermined its (CDC’s) science the way Trump has.”

But let’s look at the numbers, not just the sheer number of cases, which are terrible, but the slope of the trend line. Our trend line is going in the wrong direction, up, even compared to the UK, which also did a lousy job against the virus. The US 7-day average is 62,000 new cases per day.

Finally, the American people agree with the view that Trump has done a bad job.

An ABC News/Ipsos poll released Friday reports that a record 67 percent of respondents now disapprove of “the way Donald Trump is handling the response to the coronavirus,” while only 33 percent approve — the widest gulf in public sentiment since ABC News and Ipsos started surveying on the pandemic in March.
    upload_2020-7-14_13-58-0.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    California was shut down hard. Just because it doesn’t fit your narrative you don’t have make up stuff.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    Then how are they re-closing ? That would imply they’ve been open, no?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    That just isn't true. California began reopening the state May 8. About a month later, Newsome rescinded much of the reopening order and locked down the state again. But last week, just about anywhere in CA, you could have gone into a retail store and eaten inside a restaurant. Today, it's more like it was 6 weeks ago, with lock down. If you are going to say California was locked down hard since March, please bring some evidence to back up the claim. Otherwise, you are the one making stuff up.

As for kids death with COVID-19, we really have no clue what the total would be under "normal" school activities. One, German study does not make a large enough sample size. Especially if the area studied had a low rate of infection and would say, for example, meet current CDC Phase 2 reopening guidelines. This study would suggest that the CDC would be correct opening schools in Phase 2.

But what about places that are nowhere near Phase 2 metrics? What does reopening schools look like in these places? What's the rate of spread to kids? To adults that work in schools? Do we really want our school children and teachers to play lab rats to find out the answers?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    they were shut down, opened, blew up and are now shutting stuff back down. Very hard to comprehend I guess...

12. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I never said California didn’t open. I said they were shut down hard from early March until late May for most of the State. They opened, blew up and now shutting down. Stupid.

13. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Second time I've seen this claim, still haven't seen any support for this claim.

What is this based on?

14. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    Yes, I get it. It is pretty obvious really. What’s confusing though is how a place can be “shut down hard” if they opened things back up. You claim they’re shut down hard and open at the same time, that’s where you lose me. Thanks, I’ll hang up and listen!

• Like Like x 1
  15. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    Except you didn’t...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Directed the CDC and the pandemic team to disseminate information to state health departments and make sure they started the process of spinning things up so we were prepared in case it got worse.

17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No I didn’t. I said they were shut down hard. And they were. They opened. Blew up and now closing up.

18. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    If you want any credibility you gotta stop making stuff up. You're wrong. Look it up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    Ok, now maybe you're getting it. They were shut down. Then they reopened and cases went way up. Now they are shut down again. Glad you learned something here.

• Like Like x 2
  20. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    So you’re telling me cases didn’t increase exponentially while shut down hard? Well, ya learn something new everyday! That seems to imply the shut downs were effective, hmmm...

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1