Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    This is what we had in international airports across the country when we shut it down. There was absolutely no plan in place for social distancing or testing or quarantine of all those returning from abroad. Total lack of leadership resulted in exponential spread. It didn't take a rocket scientist to predict, and account for this, but our stable genius and his throng of unqualified yes men he surrounds himself with couldn't see it coming. Like DeSantis setting up checkpoints on the interstate and then pulling them down because they created a traffic jam. WTF did he think was going to happen? How can you support that level of intelligent (not) thought process? They aren't playing chess and would likely lose at checkers as they can't seem to see the next move, let alone 5 moves out.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Convenient how they leave the rest of that out, isn't it. Intellectual honesty be damned.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    First, the virus clearly was spreading in the US WELL before Feb.
    Second, thank NY, NJ, Mass governors for a shit job protecting the vulnerable....
    Third, here is a very long thread on everything the White House did. I know you likely wont read it since people here for whatever reason on both sides wont open their damn minds to anything but at least i shared it:

Trump admin: 01/03: Tried to get CDC into China (numerous attempts made/China never allowed)
    01/06: Began issuing travel notices (issued multiple)
    01/07: Created issue management system
    01/17: Began screenings at airports
    01/20: Announces work on development of a vaccine
    01/21: Activated its emergency operations center to provide ongoing support to the coronavirus response 01/23: Sought a “special emergency authorization” from FDA to allow states to use its newly developed coronavirus test
    ***01/23: CHINA finally quarantines Wuhan, had lied to the world for weeks about what was going on and how contagious the virus was and deadly it was Dr. Birx even said scientists misjudged the disease because of China's lies and deception

Trump admin response continued:
    01/29: Creates Coronavirus Task Force
    01/31: Bans travel from China / Declares public health emergency / suspends entry from foreigners who pose risk of transmitting coronavirus
    02/02: CDC expands screenings at airports
    02/05: Briefs lawmakers about pandemic
    02/06: CDC ships tests
    02/09: Briefs governors about pandemic
    02/11: Expands efforts with private sector to expedite vaccine
    02/14: Partners with local labs to conduct influenza surveillance to see if alarms are going off
    02/24: Writes Congress asking for billions to combat coronavirus
    02/29: Bans travel from South Korea / Iran

***This brings us to March, when you said that he started doing something***
    03/03: Donates entire quarter's salary to fighting coronavirus
    03/04: Announces massive buy in N95 masks (which Obama-Biden admin depleted and never replaced): https://usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/04/03/fact-check-did-obama-administration-deplete-n-95-mask-stockpile/5114319002/…
    03/06: Signs $8.3 billion to combat coronavirus
    03/11: Bans travel from Europe/made numerous moves to lower interest rates
    03/13: Declares national emergency, freeing up $42 billion.

More for you:
    He never called the coronavirus a democratic hoax, he called Democrats' reaction to it in the early days a hoax Trump at the same event: "we have to take it very, very seriously. That’s what we’re doing. We are preparing for the worst"
    FACT CHECK: Did Trump Call The Coronavirus A ‘Hoax’ At His South Carolina Rally?

Trump did not cut the pandemic response team, it was reorganized and merged into different units of the National Security Counci
    https://t.co/bj1Nxgxs2W?amp=1

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    That's hard to say for sure. We shut everything down for covid but not flu. We'd have a lot more dead kids if it was business as usual. But even if flu is more deadly than covid for kids, kids carry covid to their parents, grandparents, teachers, caregivers, et al. Many more people will die if schools are filled with kids than if not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy

Apr 3, 2007
    It is very difficult to take you seriously when you persistently post in an alternative fact universe.

You appear to disdain the truth... or just don't care how far afield you are from the truth so long as you gig some "liberal" poster.

Cuomo made mistakes. And admitted them and got better. NY is now in far better shape than Florida and all other states who reopened against guidelines.

Trump intentionally ignored the intelligence briefings he received, repeatedly lied about the threat of the virus, failed to prepare for the known threat (after already having disbanded the pandemic task force... because Obama created it... behaved like a little freaking kid), and has repeatedly discouraged us from following the guidelines of health professionals, including the CDC reopening guidelines. He has even intentionally encouraged protests against the guidelines, making the nation's health a politically divisive issue.

He has done everything possibly to screw this up, and on that count, he is winning... winning bigly!

As a result of all of his buffoonery, we're in the worst shape of any country not named Brazil... which has a similarly incompetent leader.

• Agree x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  6. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    No he didn't. He called for his base to liberate states. He attacked governors who didn't end the shutdown as early as he wanted them to. And now he's calling for school funding to be withheld if states don't do as he says. And he's trying to kick foreign exchange students out of the country. There's a long list of this stuff. You can't hide it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Wow, a doctor said the situation could change. Whoopty freakin do. He clearly stated the risk was very low at a time when it was indeed very high. I really don't care that Fauci got it wrong on Feb 29th. What I take issue with is people acting like Trump should have somehow saw the future more than a month in advance of the nation's leading epidemiologist.

So politifact rates it not true because Fauci gave himself an out. That's like a meteorologist saying "right now, it looks like rain, but that could change." Lol, everybody heard "it's going to rain". Nobody paid attention to the "that could change part", but the meteorologist can always look back and say "I said it could change!!"

I mean, as long as you can add a "that could change" qualifier to everything, you'll never be wrong.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    It sure doesn't sound like he was ignoring it in January and February.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Go back some posts and see that kids aren’t transmitters of the virus like older people are. German study I believe. And the flu/pneumonia kills many many more kids than Covid-19 will. Have teachers wear masks, N95 or whatever will keep them safest. The children will be fine and those that want to stay home schooled can.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
  10. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    Oh awesome! Thanks for fixing this quagmire for us. I guess all the kids that currently have it aren’t really real? You know will keep them the teachers the safest? Digital learning until we get more than one study completed. Again, it’s been asked , why is death the only consideration? I don’t want my kid having reduced lung capacity the rest of his life because we rushed back to reopening schools. Why do you keep glossing over that little caveat?

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes some kids will die from Coronavirus. That is a fact. But a much bigger percentage die from the flu/pneumonia. What is so hard to understand about that? There is no definitive study saying kids will have diminished lung capacity for the rest of their lives. You are making things up. When a peer reviewed study comes out show me, otherwise you are spreading fear. Keep your kids home, mine will be attending school if allowed.

12. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    he wasn’t and it doesn’t matter how much proof you show some people. They just know Orange man bad.
    It’s disgusting to me how so many people on both sides completely shut their minds to anything from the other side.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    The only thing Trump was doing in February was telling us we would soon be down to near 0 cases.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    did he actually do anything to any state though?!
    I don’t blame him on the school part. Plenty of reports out how bad virtual schooling is. Many students not even staying online or reporting at all. I believe even LA said enough and is going to push for schools to open.
    Plus plenty of reports indicating children are very unlikely to catch it or spread it. I do see a concern to protect teachers and staff. That needs to be addressed.
    Trump did the right thing and walked back on sending exchange students back. Was a dumb call to begin with and glad he listened to the calls on reversing it.

15. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    At the level of community spread we are currently at, reopening schools will be a disaster and lead to many more cases and deaths. Even if kids are less likely to transmit the virus, the huge increase in social interaction with schools being open will certainly lead to way more cases. Teachers, administrators, janitors, lunch ladies, bus drivers, parents, etc, will come into way more contact with the virus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Well that’s one imaginary way to look at this like trump did something right.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    Telling states that he will withhold school funding isn't doing anything to any state? What true authority does Trump have over the governor of say, Michigan, in running her state, other that threatening her and withholding federal funding?

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    What is imaginary about it? Guessing you didn’t look at a damn thing.

Let me ask, based on the info we had back in Jan and the political climate at the time, what would you have done differently?

19. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    But has he done it? By the way, if the schools don’t open, why do they need so much funding? At that point your just paying staff. No longer worried about utilities, food services, daily building maintenance, health services and supplies...

What about the many parents that actually want their children in schools for both a better education but also because they need to work. Do they get a voice?

20. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    coordinated more with the states about the need to social distance. He didn’t announce that until March 16 when it was too late. Among many many other things.