Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Your participation on this forum to the contrary. :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agreed. The last I looked the typical hospitalization period was 18 days for folks that die. Combine that with a 5 day incubation period and pre-hospitalization period and you get one scary scenario.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Well then consider yourself shocked. This update from the poster was from today.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL

Sorry I don't share your disdain, state and local hospitals should work to get the needed equipment and not do nothing expecting the Feds to supply their needs.
    It doesn't have to be an all or nothing the Feds and locals can work the problem at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    I cant wait for some weeks from now to say I told you so to the hypemasters on this nonsense that think the country should come to a halt over this.

6. gatormike51

gatormike51 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The US response is an extreme overreaction. Twump should have allowed this to play out instead of resorting to the extreme measures taken which could result in an economic catastrophe.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 4
  7. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Well played.
    There are certainly some people on this board who I no longer bother reading but generally some really good insight. There are many on this board who def hold different views than I do but I still read their posts as I don't want to get trapped into just having my views massaged.
    I participate in spurts, been interesting lately and I have been on these boards since early 2000's (if I remember correctly).

• Like Like x 1
  8. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I hope to hear you saying I told you so some weeks from now. That would mean things went better than expected for our country.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I figured as much "party before country" Where have I heard that before?

10. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Sorry I'll not take as fact from a 3rd party unverified source.

No different from my wife's friend who told her Publix was out of meat, only to find it full to the brim.

For what its worth (not much) I did text a fellow PA who works at Shands ER in Jax, they are testing people there for it, but mainly the sicker patients who have some respiratory distress. Certainly an old person admitted with Pneumonia would likely fit that criteria.

11. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    We will never know whether or not this is an over reaction.

We do know that Trump views this as such and wanted this to just play out - which according to every expert in the field would have been a bad idea.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Italy had the attitude of just letting it play out. To date, over 2,100 dead in a country of 60 million, and climbing daily.

The US does have less cases per million, but has also tested just 20,000 people, versus a country like S. Korea, that has 1/6th the population, and has tested over 200,000 people. S. Korea has about 12X the amount of cases per million, but if you look at the prior link from the Johns Hopkins Professor, there are likely 25X the cases in the US, or more. But we just don't know, because we haven't tested nearly enough people.

If you look at Italy, where again, their response was this was just another flu that will blow over quickly, they have the highest total of cases per million. Fortunately, it's likely we won't hit those numbers because of all the things that have been cancelled and everyone who is taking this seriously practicing social distancing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I don't see where the State and local hospitals are doing nothing. But State and local hospitals need help. This is exactly where Feds should step up, and should have six weeks ago.

Now you understand the difference with Obama's response to immediately provide aid to States before the H1N1 hit, rather than after like Trump.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    I can't wait for that to happen too. I would absolutely love to be completely wrong.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    lol Nothing hardly was done for that until many deaths.

The US is actually prepared some medical wise unlike Italy and that is why they have the crazy death count - even worse than China who had crap capacity when that stuff started.

16. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
  17. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    I don't really care if you believe it. This isn't a fairy in which disbelief will make it go away. The poster is as republican as it gets and is a Trump fan btw. When it happens to a family member and you hear it from a doctor with your own ears it kind of takes the partisanship out of the equation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013
    Well if you are listening to and believing the lefty media points they will be wrong as usual but then again these are the same idiots that told us Trump was wrong for stopping travel and that Europe should keep its borders open before.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    We would definitely know if we under-reacted though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    I've stated about a thousand times that I don't get much of anything from mainstream media
    I listen to actual numbers and the testimony from scientists in the field of diseases and immunology.

• Like Like x 1