Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    These idiots that signed a covid waiver to hear trump say that Covid isn’t a big deal. They’ll probably be sharing toothbrushes.

• Funny Funny x 5
  2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

True. I just like that we are a month into many reopening and still seeing a decline in deaths. I know we are all rooting for the same thing on this one.

3. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    How many cities do you think there are in the US? Do you know how many cities you have to have to get millions of looters out of 200 per city?

• Like Like x 2
  5. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    There are numerous videos of protestors doing exactly that.

Speaking from ignorance is rarely effective.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    No, sadly he doesn’t... On the flip side, he’s a huge proponent of reporting numbers accurately!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Texas had their highest two day death total in a month.

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Too early to judge on mortality, I think the more encouraging thing is that we're not seeing a rapid uptick in cases. Deaths will follow cases, as we really haven't gotten THAT much better at treating this thing. With that said, if the Oxford results on steroids is reproducible, then that could be the first real game changer.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. NavyGator93

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    If buckeye gator is going to judge all protester by the relatively small number that were violent, I assume he will judge all cops by the relatively small numbers that are violent racists.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Updated stats from world o meter as of 8:15 am EDT There were 10 states with a decrease in active cases. 10 states with 1-2 deaths and 9 states with 0 deaths.
    c 6-18-1.JPG
    c 6-18-2.JPG

11. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    c 6-18-3.JPG
    Death rate continues to slowly drop.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's the same way BLM judges cops. You know it's true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. NavyGator93

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I don't and neither do you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  14. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  15. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    The link takes you to their What We Believe landing page. I can't find any mention of police or law enforcement. What specifically are you referencing as problematic?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. GatorGuyDallas

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    Arizona governor relented last night and said that local governments can set their own rules on wearing masks. He figured out he's killing people with his intransigence. Better late than never.

• Like Like x 2
  17. NavyGator93

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    https://blacklivesmatter.com/defundthepolice/

Calling out the police.

19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No, but you are.

https://blacklivesmatter.com/defundthepolice/

It's almost like you are trying to make excuses for them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GatorGuyDallas

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    Thanks -

Hard to see a problem with their opening.
    "Enough is enough.

Our pain, our cries, and our need to be seen and heard resonate throughout this entire country."

Let's move along. When we have officers kneeling on a black man's neck for almost nine minutes in full view of the public until he is killed, it is hard to find much off the mark in the belief that Black lives are dehumanized. It doesn't say all police. There are a laundry list of dehumanizing actions taken by police. Saying that is not saying all police are bad. I'll keep looking for problems on your linked page. I have not found any yet.

"We demand acknowledgment and accountability for the devaluation and dehumanization of Black life at the hands of the police.

We call for radical, sustainable solutions that affirm the prosperity of Black lives."

You could reach for a problem here "law enforcement doesn't protect or save our lives". I'd agree that is too universal of a statement. The following "They often threaten and take them" steps back from that a bit with the word often.

"George Floyd’s violent death was a breaking point — an all too familiar reminder that, for Black people, law enforcement doesn’t protect or save our lives. They often threaten and take them.

Right now, Minneapolis and cities across our country are on fire, and our people are hurting — the violence against Black bodies felt in the ongoing mass disobedience, all while we grapple with a pandemic that is disproportionately affecting, infecting, and killing us."

You may not agree, but many do agree there are problems with systemic racism in law enforcement. I don't find that an outrageous statement.
    "We call for an end to the systemic racism that allows this culture of corruption to go unchecked and our lives to be taken."

I'm not a fan of the term "defund the police". I think it hurts the cause more than it helps the cause. I am for some thoughtful reallocation of resources that shift some of the work from the police that might be better done in other agencies. I am for investing in under served communities.
    "We call for a national defunding of police. We demand investment in our communities and the resources to ensure Black people not only survive, but thrive. If you’re with us, add your name to the petition right now and help us spread the word."

I can't find "hypocrisy" on that page. I can find some things about which reasonable people might disagree.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1