Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    In addition to the importance of masks, the case highlights how crucial contact tracing and isolation are after exposure to help stop the spread of the disease.
    The salon kept impeccable records that made contact tracing possible, Goddard said.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    To people who dont want to get infected

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

You are literally the only person I have heard say that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I had to go back and read his posts this morning. I admit to having a couple of post ride beers on the front porch last night, but reading those posts this morning brings no extra clarity.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    States like AZ, TX, etc are not having a 2d wave-this is their first wave.

I don’t think we are going to remotely shut the economy down even if this thing (hopefully doesn’t) blast off. So hold on to your hats if it does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    I’m in Gwinnett, I feel the same as you. Why relax the restrictions while cases are increasing? May as well just lift them completely. if you arent going to base them off of anything other than doing what Kemp wants to do, why even have them at this point. No logic, certainly no science factored into this decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. NavyGator93

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Jealous of you being in Gwinnett, you guys have some incredible food out there.

8. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Then you need to read more. Florida sees highest single-day number of new coronavirus cases
    Undoubtedly testing plays a role but to act like ending measures to slow the spread of a viral disease has no implications on spreading said disease is silly. Further, the POTUS turning trying to stop spreading this disease into a political issue is immoral and will have repercussions.

And I am one that believes we have to reopen, but intelligently. I equate it to a citizen deciding to wear a mask - if you wear a mask and nothing happens, you are just a little annoyed. But if you don't wear a mask, your or somebody else's grandparent could die.

What is so hard about being responsible and everyone proceeding cautiously instead of turning this into a political question and risking an increase in cases and deaths that some embrace (Trump rallies with no mitigation but attendees must sign waivers)? Florida appears to be heading the wrong way.....

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    c 6-12-1.JPG c 6-12-2.JPG Here are the updated stats as of 8:30 am EDT. There were 11 states with a decrease in active cases yesterday. There were 6 states with 1-2 deaths and 8 states with 0 deaths.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    c 6-12-3.JPG
    It stayed the same today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    • Informative Informative x 3
  12. NavyGator93

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    It kills me that a disease became political, how screwed is this country if we continue down this path.
    We need to re-open, but safely as you said. I have no idea why some insist on being moronic, if the 2nd wave becomes huge I can't imagine that what that will do to the economy in the US.
    My company is bringing back more furloughed workers next week, mostly in production and shipping. It will be great to get them back, I would be better to keep them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Not an encouraging look to this untrained eye...

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Where did I say any of that? You proved my point. He said testing is increasing because of cases increasing. He is the first person that I have heard flip that one. I mean does that make sense to you? You yourself just said "Undoubtedly testing plays a role." Which means that you disagree with his statement too.

The rest of your post is lost on me as I wear a mask. I Make my staff wear masks. I did mot mention the POTUS nor did I defend him.

All of that was filler that ignored my comment.

My comment was simply, that increased testing will lead to more known cases. Who is denying that at this point?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I got the gist of his post I just find the content a little accusatory. Those who choose to stay home aren't living? I get my work done, plan and cook delicious meals, spend time with my pets, read fun sci-fi books, watch movies with my wife, and exercise regularly. Does that sound like living dead? Maybe he was only speaking for himself and I extrapolated too much out of it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Damn dude. Did you even read the article I sent? Quote: "State health officials have attributed the high number of new cases to increased testing. But groups watching, like the news agency ProPublica, say that the number of positive tests per 100,000 tests is increasing." Nobody is "denying your point" but I was correcting that nobody else has claimed that testing fully explains the current rise in virus cases!

You seem to look at things as binary. Yes - increased testing means more positives. AND it can also be true that the underlying number of cases is going up due to MORE cases, indicating that not only are we getting seeing more cases from testing, but there ARE more cases from easing of social restrictions.

Sorry that you view that analysis as filler, but honestly you seem to hyper-sensitive to many attempts at rationale discussion, in my opinion often viewing many comments (especially if they implicate conservative views/religion) as "attacks." I am genuinely concerned that the virus is spreading more and we may not be recognizing it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    And more cases will lead to more testing. Do you deny that?

18. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    1902 new cases in Florida today. It's because of more testing -- eye roll.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. NavyGator93

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    His posts were over all weirdly worded and i didn't have the patience for another group of ridiculous.
    As for the whole #livinglife movement, I have had people in my neighborhood post that stupidity. It looks great on an REI motivational poster but for most of these people it means going into the Olive Garden instead of having to get takeout.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. NavyGator93

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    What the hell is vermont up to. Of course, it may have just gone from 2 to 4 people, but looks odd on this map being in that sea of green.