Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    And since its a sports site, to apply a sports hypothetical to his flu vs covid numbers, it would be like saying FSU won the game because they scored more points in 4 quarters than the Gators did in one quarter. That's how ludicrous that particular flu/covid comparison is. Yet we have Gator95 running around here with it trying to show that the 2018 flu was worse than the covid pandemic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    wow, we shut down? Didn’t know that...
    Good one. Since you don’t like the numbers and they show only a small portion of the US should’ve shut down, you attack the website/author. Flu season is a very short time, it’s not like flu season rages on thru the summer.

it’s more like UF scored 35 on Tennessee at Tennessee and then took the foot off the gas. But you guys aren’t very good at analogies so maybe I shouldn’t have used that one.

And how is that love affair with Cuomo going? I know you were a member of his fan club early on...

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    now go read the Forbes article and wait for your marching orders from msnbc.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    yes, but they have to vote only for candidates in their district, i believe city residents can vote for all 5 seats.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    Cons don't like it when they can't gerrymander. Are not the people who live in Gainesville also residents of Alachua County? Maybe a college town isn't for you. If you don't want to live around liberals, you should move to Palatka.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    Besides that being the obvious. Fewer customers doesn’t automatically equal less money unless every customer spends the same. There is absolutely the realistic possibility of fewer customers feeling more comfortable, less rushed, and taking their time and spending more. 50 customers spending an avg of $2 each is the same as 100 customers spending $1 each.
    I’ve shopped at Kroger during this pandemic and felt rushed and uncomfortable because there were too many people. I’ve shopped at Trader Joe’s which caps their customers at 50 at a time. That was the most relaxing shopping experience I’ve had and a guarantee I spent more time and put more impulse buys in my cart.

• Like Like x 2
  7. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You sure about that? Can you offer me a link that explains how it works? Seems odd that they would split it into districts and then decide that districts no longer matter within the city limits. This map certainly doesn't give off that impression:
    https://www.votealachua.com/portals/alachua/documents/maps/County_Commission_Districts.pdf

8. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    but the residents outside of gainesville are not citizens of gainesville, therefore they, following your logic,cannot vote in city elections, but gainesville citizens can vote in county election plus city elections

9. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    Pretty sure that's how it works everywhere. I live in a city and I vote for county offices too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    That makes sense. Residents of the city are also residents of the county. Residents of the county are not residents of the city. It's like Florida residents being able to vote in national and state elections. But while a person who is a resident of another state can vote in the same national election (i.e., POTUS), they can't vote in Florida elections.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    So yesterday, I posted the 100k death statistic for Covid-19 on my fb page with a sad emoji. Nothing else. Only an expression of sorrow over the grim milestone.

One of my friends almost immediately responded with "Over 1 million recoveries!"

I didn't respond to her comment, but it made me curious as to why some people feel the need to point that out.

I don't recall ever hearing anyone after 9/11 or after one of the mass school shootings, or the LV mass shooting say "[fill in the number] didn't die!"

So why here? What's the thinking on it? Is it that these deaths are perceived as hype?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Maybe for TooHot, but for Gator Country, Barely halfway. looooong way to go. :D

13. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I take it you don't live in Gainesville, but out in the county?

14. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Sadly, this thread is for a reason we do not want. We passed page 136 here with a clear complexion, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    She just wanted to see the full glass.

• Like Like x 1
  16. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    yes, in newberry

17. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Because recoveries are part of the story. It helps us to hear good news too.
    Using the Trade Center alone, There were news reports telling us how much worse it could have been. 50,000 people worked in the WTC and 120K came through daily.
    This was talked about quite a bit. Stories of heroism and happy discoveries happened almost daily for weeks.

As for school shootings, peopl absolutely tell stories about teachers saving kids, and police ending standoffs and saving hundreds of students.

The deaths are not hype....but ONLY talking about one side is. The story needs both sides to be complete.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    i think because there is, whether right or wrong, far to much negative coverage about covid19. where is the talk of rampped up tests, lower and lower new cases every day, deaths and death percentage dropping, recoveries increasing every day , it is as if only bad news is allowed to be reported, things have gotten increasingly better week by week, yet some in the media just refuse to report on the positives.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Unless it some easily packaged hero story, bad news sells better than good.
    I am by nature someone who looks for the problems or issues in things (it’s even crucial in my job), but that doesn’t mean hearing good news is bad. And after things continually being worse than predicted (15 cases to zero, the original UW survey saying 60k, Trump keeping it under 100k would be good etc), folks are naturally weary of premature good news.
    Heck, I watched the Memorial Day parties and packed boardwalks, just waiting to see what happens in the next few weeks from that along with the slow openings over time. That is not doomsaying, just natural worry.
    It’s also why I generally don’t contradict your daily posts on the numbers - I respect that you are basing those off of factual data and we just have different outlooks on the same basic facts. Nothing wrong with that, no one POV is ever absolutely right.

20. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Whole we discuss death rates, we should also understand that COVID 19 also leaves people hospitalized with organ damage. 30% according to reports addressed in this John’s Hopkins report.
    Coronavirus: Kidney Damage Caused by COVID-19

• Agree Agree x 1