Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

Are you calling me a pig?!?!?! I mean, I have been called dirty.... (humor intended)

2. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    Well you called me virtuous and I couldn’t let that insult stand.

;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

Fair enough!! Please accept my apologies!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Maybe somewhat off topic for this thread but I've used the same quote regarding Democratic political candidates who try to stoop to the level of Donald Trump.
    [​IMG]

5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    And that we are just a bunch of scared wussies that don't deserve the air we breath.

Somewhere behind hiding in a cave and kissing in the choir there is appropriate behavior that will substantially reduce the spread of the virus while allowing life to proceed. Our family is flying to Alaska to visit MIL. Masks, glasses, hand sanitizer, wipes, travel size lysol spray, 3 nights in hotel when we arrive, rapid tests for all of us prior to heading to MIL for 2 weeks. Not scared but very respectful of consequences and compromising to minimize risk. You know, a mature, rational response..

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    how is doing less than what the state says is optimal doing more, only in impossing harsher conditions on its residents.

7. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Mature like Cuomo sending Covid19+ patients back into the worst possible scenario...

Have fun on your trip.

8. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Directional language requires a starting position. The starting position is 0% limitations. The state is requiring 25% limitations (all numbers inexact and used to demonstrate the point rather than for accuracy), the county is requiring 50% limitations. The county is requiring more limitations than the state is requiring.

9. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Does it ever flare down?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    you are mis-understanding. the state says 50% occupancy is allowed, alachua county wanted only 25% occupancy, half of what the state says is ok. they also wanted only 25% dinning occupancy while the state said 50% is all right, plus, again on the masks, the state said recommended, the county said mandatory, all these are, again, harsher than what the state is allowing. the purpose of the commision, imo, is to adhear to the desires of its residents, and they clearly do not want to have the harsher guidelines the county wants impossed on them. lesser store and dinning occupancy equals less employees working equals less jobs.

11. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    Does someone else want to try explaining it?

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    what is there to explain? the county wants to impose more severe limitations than the state is allowing. do you not see 25% occupancy limit is less than 50% occupancy?they are going against the mandate of the higher authority, ie the state, in doing things the citizens do not want.i guess you just want to entice me into a arguement.

13. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Hard pass.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    here, simple math. the state says publix can have 500 people at a time, the county wants only 250. the state says 100 people can be in outback at a time, the county wants 50.simple logic says less foot traffic equals less number of employees needed equals less jobs in those stores, is it that hard to understand?

15. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    I’m one of them. It’s still my opinion.

One of the reasons I moved from Alachua county was lack of representation. Their county commission is set up where everyone votes on every commissioner. Gainesville controls the election of every commissioner. I lived in the western part of Alachua county. Every election the people from my district supported and voted for a commissioner that was never elected due to Gainesville citizens voting for someone different.

I’m glad I left. They are same people that elected the city commissioners that gave them the boondoggle GREC.

I went from the city to the western part of the county. Too liberal for me personally.

17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    No, that was stupid but it pales in comparison to requiring everyone to rush home from Europe and then stacking them up like cattle in a pen when customs had no plan to handle the rush.

Do the math. NYC and other places were likely mainly seeded from the petri dish in customs queues the first few days after the recall

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    The state is cutting 500 customers from Publix, the county is cutting 750. The county is doing more than the state.

More is a comparative word, it implies that we are further away from our starting point. The county is further away from doing nothing than the state. The county is doing more than the state.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Pales in comparison? Look at the average age of death and the fact that almost 45% of deaths are from nursing homes. When almost half of our deaths in certain locations, that makes it problem number 1. But Trumps decision to not have a way to keep people separated when going thru customs was a disaster. Trump also downplayed the virus for too long in my opinion and should've restricted flights into and out of China, only allowing for US Citizens to return home but to be quarantined.

Lot's of blame to go around. No ones hands are clean as far as i'm concerned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    you must be one of the people the poster in post 11956 is referring to, how do you rationalize cutting potential customers out of a buisiness as a good thing?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1