Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Good try at deflection. But the data is there for everyone to see. Sucks that your doom and gloom scenarios don’t hold water.

And when you can’t have a good rebuttal, blame it on partisanship. That’s when you know you lost the argument.

2. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    Which 34 states have had Covid for 12 months, that would suck?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Alabama's numbers were high today too. They've been on the rise there. Too many Trumpers running around without masks, I guess.

There was a lot of Memorial Day socializing this past weekend. In about 2 weeks we will see where we are at. The numbers will almost certainly be higher but who knows by how much. Maybe just a little, maybe a lot.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    Your numbers include flu and pneumonia and they are for 12 months instead of 3. How is pointing that out deflection? Ironically, you saying 'deflection' to every post is actual deflection.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    some numbers from the 4 day, sat-tues, weekend. total tests 1,466,767, average of 366,691 a day. new cases 80,376, average of 20,095 a day. deaths 2,932, average of 733 a day. positive test % was 5.5%. wednesdays numbers should be real telling, out of the holiday period.

6. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

Well, that's not exactly accurate:

[​IMG]

COVID-19: Data Summary - NYC Health

Colorado COVID-19 death count down almost 25%, as state differentiates 'dying with,' 'dying from'

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    so i guess no leftist liberals were w/o masks, only trump supporters, you hide your distaste well.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    alachua county commision at it again. DeSantis gives the go ahead for summer youth activities, camps, etc, but our great county leaders say.
    , " not so fast, my friend " vote to not allow

9. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m not sure, maybe we can break it down by state for the 40+ million out a job instead.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I am of two minds on this. Clearly something is fishy here. Given who these folks are, there is literally no excuse for the massive errors in the study (they violated basic sampling methods that anybody with a basic research methods class under their belts knows and, obviously, Stanford doesn't hire people with only a basic understanding of research methods). But the economist in me asks why somebody at Stanford would risk their reputation for $5,000. I wonder if there was maybe a little more...consideration...involved here.

11. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    It's a factor. Trump supporters are going to be less likely to social distance and to wear a mask, since that's what their leader tells them. And we know there a ton of Trumpers in Bama.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  13. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    wait, these are only 3 months of Covid19 data? Who would’ve thought...

Grasping at straws.

14. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    And cons are fine with local leaders overruling state/national leaders when it suits them. In fact, we're always hearing from cons that more decisions should be made at the local level.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    He did argue the data. Here is the data argument:

1. You are comparing 12 months to 3 months.
    2. You are comparing deaths that are purely estimated with margins of error, utilizing only the point estimate, with data that is collected in a different manner and may be systematically biased downward if people died of Covid without knowing they had Covid (if you individually died of the flu without knowing, the methods used to estimate that are designed to still capture it).
    3. Those figures contain both flu and pneumonia. Lots of pneumonia deaths have nothing to do with flu or any viral infection.
    4. I'll add a fourth: the flu season didn't have a shutdown to slow the rate of spread while the Covid outbreak did. So clearly you are comparing different contexts.
    5. And I'll add a fifth: he tried to claim that flu is worse because this is only killing older people and they matter less or something. However, flu also has a heavy age bias. 83% of all US flu deaths are for Seniors. Some areas are more than that, like Pennsylvania, for Covid. Some areas like NYC, are less, with 73% of the deaths to Seniors.

Coronavirus Age, Sex, Demographics (COVID-19) - Worldometer

So there are a bunch of purely data-driven answers.

• Winner x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  16. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    yeah, let’s listen to Cuomo on his ideas on where to house Elderly Covid19 positive patients. Brilliant!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. dangolegators

Apr 26, 2007
    Your numbers are deceptive, now intentionally so since you've been told and you haven't retracted them. If you want to be taken seriously around here, you need to present credible numbers. Folks see right through you when you put up obviously inaccurate numbers and make obviously invalid comparisons.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I guess he thought people were smart enough to know the difference in time. I guess he was wrong...

19. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Although rationally the Second Amendment has nothing to do with Covid-19 and social distancing restrictions, apparently these folks think that there is some type of link.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    yeah, I tried so hard to hide the numbers. I guess it’s hard to hide the 40+ million jobs losses too...

Dude, who’s hiding numbers?

• Agree Agree x 1