Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Husband of ‘Reopen North Carolina’ leader says he is ‘willing to kill’ in fight against lockdown

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    On the beach in Alabama, why they're not concerned with the virus:
    "I don't want to die, but if that's what God has in store for me, that's OK."
    "We're all going to get sick with something eventually."
    "If he (Trump) isn't wearing a mask, I'm not wearing one."

• Informative Informative x 3
  3. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    There were about several to many members who have tried to use various other outbreaks, whether Hong Kong flu as you identify, seasonal flu, or H1N1. This was in an effort to dismiss the seriousness of the situation. It seemed to me some of this came from an earnest inability to reckon with risk due to a weak grasp of infectious disease (some putting economics over people). Some, however, no doubt were parroting the president. And others, it seemed to come from misguided views about masculinity.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Those people making those predictions are going to be a heck of a lot closer to the total deaths than the 3-5 million predictions. Plus, they win if you are doing Price is Right rules.

5. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Those who have downplayed the pandemic have been wrong every step of the way. Now they're the ones calling for opening everything back up and ending social distancing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Broke 100,000

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy

Apr 3, 2007
    The high predictions were based on business as usual. It is rather pointless to compare that to us actually trying to reduce the death rate.

We locked down and cut back the death toll. So far.

100K in three months. How many by year end?

This isn't over. And we don't know how many who recover will acquire permanent injury to their heart, liver or other organs. Nobody is even measuring that as far as I know.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Yup. I'd add, that it's possible (though I'm not sure of how probable) that the 3-5m could have been worse. We know it could have been. It's hard to convey just how serious a threat a novel animal virus is to the human population. But then again, it shouldn't be that hard, history has shown us this.

Good point.

There will no doubt be many studies (likely many already occurring) examining post-illness injuries in the short term, and others that will track people in the long term.

9. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    There's an air of "see we were right" about it too, despite that being right ignores the mitigation efforts.

Early on many predicted that would occur, which is why they'd be wrong again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We wouldn't be close to 100k if we didn't send Covid19 positive elderly patients back into nursing homes. That falls on Trump and any Governor who let that happen. Should've been isolating the sick and elderly from everyone in the beginning.

11. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    It was simply so prescient of those that downplayed the virus to know we'd shut it all down, and social distance. Or maybe what they say about hindsight? Maybe the impeachedpotus had HQC dumped in all the municipal water systems to save us!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

Hold on, are you saying that the "defiant types" are only those who believe in the 2nd Amendment? What has the 2nd Amendment have to do with this discussion?

I also have no idea in what your last comment is referencing. Rambling? Walking the walk? What?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. LLCoolJ94

See below (edited for relevance)

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I think you might be confusing how many actually died in nursing homes vs those who were "sent back" and died or got others sick. The latter is assuming that the formerly sick covid patients were still in a situation that they could transmit the virus, but we don't know that. What we know is about 35% of all deaths are associated with nursing homes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    If you can't understand that those protesting were often wrapped in guns and those defying orders often invoked claims about freedom than that is on you.

You claim to want civil discourse yet you called my comment rambling. I pointed it out to you, so don't play dumb.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. LLCoolJ94

What about those gun-owning people who stayed home? Don't they count?

They are right to call into a question a suspension of civil liberties when the goals are not defined clearly.

I literally have no idea what you're talking about re rambling. Please quote it so I can view the entire context. Still, I have no idea what you mean by "walking the walk."

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  17. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    I don't know what the total would be if we hadn't sent any covid-19 positive patients to nursing homes and neither do you. Certainly it would be lower, but we can't know by how much. Florida did not allow infected patients back into nursing homes and there is still a high percentage of covid deaths from nursing homes in Florida.

I do know that if we had been doing business as usual for everyone except old people, as you want, the death totals would be much higher.

18. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    Who was predicting 3-5 million American deaths?

19. philnotfil

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't know about year end, but if the 0.26 IFR that is so popular this week is correct, that leaves us with about 600,000 dead Americans before we get to herd immunity.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    it took 33 days to go from just over 50,000 deaths to just over 100,000, and i am by no means making light of that, but it seems to me a month ago people were saying it would take only about 3 weeks to double, has been almost 5, so we must be doing things right in treatment. i know some doom and gloomers will say it is still to m,any, and they are right, but at times you need to look on the positive side once and awhile and savor little victories when you can.