Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    so cuomo put knowingly infected people in with the general population instead of isolation, imagine if trump did that, what would the outcry be?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Nursing home patients require nursing home level of care, hotels cannot provide that.

Actually the most vulnerable group is those already in the hospital. The alternative is no beds in the hospital to treat patients who need an even higher level of care.

The question is, where would you put them? IMO the best solution would've been creation of COVID isolation units e.g. in converted basketball arenas, convention centers and such. Hospitals were full and NHs are dangerous so existing facilities are not good options. I think that's what they did in China and I think there are actually studies that showed it improved outcome. I don't know why that wasn't done in New York, and I think that absolutely should get a closer look.

Just to be clear, I'm not a Cuomo apologist. I think his press conferences have looked good in comparison to Trump's, but I think his actions before and during the lockdown leave a LOT to be desired.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    was not the reason for the hospital ship to transfer non-covid cases to allow for more rooms for the infected, do not know the numbers but it seems that, and the massive set up in central park was a complete waste of time and effort, am i wrong on the very little usage?

5. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    My understanding is that non-COVID patients wasn't a big issue, it's where to put the symptomatic COVID patients who don't quite need to be admitted to the hospital that was an issue. The hospital shop at least initially refused to accept COVID patients, even if they did though it only had like 2000 beds I think. They needed at least 10x that, probably more.

6. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    do not believe it was ever intended for covid patients to go on board, they wanted them in as close proximity, health-wise, as possible, not here, there, and everywhere.

7. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I've read that study, but it's scope is just too narrow. The study period is only over 1 week, too short of a period which opens it up to too many confounding variables. It's also a univariate study, but clearly with many significant interventions various governments have applied a multivariate study is much more appropriate. For example, by far the strongest positive association in the study besides geography was Healthcare spending. That is, higher Healthcare spending was strongly associated with an increase of case growth. Does that make sense to you?

I think when this year is over and people look at the growth rate and total cases from first reported case versus the temperature range in each region, you'll likely see that even without using a multivariate analysis that temperature will have a significant association between severity of outbreak and time spent in the optimal temperature zone.

• Like Like x 1
  8. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
  9. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The ship ended up taking COVID patients. New York City hospitals were just a few days from being overwhelmed and the doctors and staffs were overwhelmed. There weren’t good solutions there. The nursing home requirement was not one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I recall reading originally they were to treat "non-covid" patients, but I think it was reported at the end they did end up taking a handful (presumably because they were equipped to do so).

As it turns out, NYC didn't need the ship, but there was no way to know that. With the exponential trajectory they were on and the type of death they were seeing, better to have the anticipated capacity there than to just hope blindly that the social distancing/lockdown worked in time. The ship itself turned out to be a more symbolic thing than of any real utility. Even in a worst case scenario, the ship only had limited utility. They were thinking they might be 10's of thousands of beds short in their projections, which could only be addressed with other types of structures. The ship is only 1000 beds maximum, and it was never going to be able to handle that many COVID patients who would need more isolation (so their COVID capacity might literally have only been a couple hundred max, rather the full 1000 beds).

12. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    To be fair to these people, that was in early March before shutdowns and during a time a lot of us were in the dark that the virus was all over the place. They probably did not have good information or instruction. But it again shows the risk of large gatherings

13. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Just replace Cuomo with trump or desantis and that's all you would see on msm 24/7.

15. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Yea it sounds like poor coordination of with state officials, not adjusting quickly enough to the changing conditions on the ground.

With that said, 1500 beds between Javits and the ship is nothing, that's the surge bed level of a single hospital. My guess is that you'd need many times the beds to house all the isolation patients who are not sick enough to be admitted to the hospital.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    They barely missed overrun and didn’t know ahead of time when the curve would flatten. Meanwhile, South Florida has excess beds because there are few tourists here

17. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I generally don't like to get political in this thread, but I think this is fine since it's gonna hit both sides. Frankly I'm not very impressed by either Cuomo or Trump's response.

For Cuomo, NY shut down way late. In my very first post in this thread, back when we had ~50 deaths a day nationally, I predicted that COVID in NYC will be epic. If you've ever lived in NY and been in one of their hospitals, it's really a no brainer. NY, specifically NYC, should've locked down way before anywhere else in the country. Cuomo made sure it didn't happen. He's also at least partially responsible for the swathes of hospital closures in NY long before the pandemic that depleted the state's ability to respond to a healthcare crisis. NYC wasn't close to being overwhelmed, it WAS overwhelmed. A lot of patients, including COVID patients, who would normally be admitted was not until they were near death. Cuomo is responsible for much of that.

Now, during the pandemic, with the hospitals being overrun and the aforementioned patients who regularly would've been admitted to the hospital with nowhere to go, it would've been sensible to set up mass quarantine centers e.g. in basketball arenas, convention centers, school gyms and such. There could've been a coordinated federal assistance to marshal resources from less impacted regions to help staff those facilities. Trump was useless in this. He could hardly be bothered to distribute ventilators let alone setting up a federal program to re-allocate other resources. He seemed more interested in where to allocate blame and praise instead. It's ridiculous how little the federal government helped.

I'm thus far much more impressed with Newsomes' response. Everything has been science guided, and he's been quick to update state regulations with new data, not being stuck to any particular dogma. When the federal government sent him faulty ventilators he could've raised a rackus and scored points with his base, but he just chose to fix them up and distribute them to hospitals instead. When we're short on PPEs, he used his own connections to secure large supplies instead of bitching incessantly at the feds.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    ha. Good point, trump isn’t too bright.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    . I know New York very well. When I was married, I had a place there and my ex lives in the place there. For many years, it was a second home. I know New York more like a resident than a visitor. I don’t think Cuomo got very good information from the national government. But, like you say, when there are 50 cases, there are too many and you are chasing. And with the density and reliance on mass transit and livery there, New York was in trouble when it didn’t shut down. Cuomo closed too late. I have a well off friend who had a bris for a grand child there the first week in March. I was going to surprise the family. But they move the grid from a synagogue to an apartment. My friend became successful because he is very smart. That decision may have also saved my life, because I had a significant sinus infection that likely became strep not too long later. A double header would have been really bad news for me.
    My friend flew his whole family to South Florida and have sheltered here since. Newsome has been great. My friend lives in California, and the response has been spot on. Ohio too.

• Like Like x 1
  20. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    so cuomo gets a pass, because, as you say, he did not get good information from the national government, gee, what was he doing, after all, he is the highest elected official in the state, you think nyc would have kept him in the loop.