Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    What's amazing about that nurse exchange, I'm sure they were all vetted politically. To ensure only those "highly supportive" of the President would be allowed in. You don't think this administration would allow anyone pre-disposed to be critical in there, do you? So this woman just made an anecdotal statement, certainly true and which reflects the situation in much of the country, and somehow the pathological one is set off. It's a personal affront to him. Going forward, they are going to have to hire actors to follow a script. It's the only way these things can be done to Trump's satisfaction.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The death rate isn't more than 1%, maybe as low as 0.5%. More like 1-2 million dead.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It does say "no public transportation". Which is surprising. That is certainly the main way the outbreak got going so fast in NYC, packed subways and streets. I would have thought that would still be the main way it would spread even with much lighter public transit.

But obviously those that still got the virus caught it somehow, and it wasn't "from their home". Could be they had a visitor or relative that spread it without knowing they had it (continued asymptomatic spread). Or went to the local grocer, bakery, or butcher without a mask and just got it from a random unknown.

If a person has months supply of food and no contacts, a true isolation, their chances of the virus are near zero.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Well, there is zero chance America is going to be okay with a true "lock down" in their homes now. That window of opportunity has passed. Many are already fed up with the quarantine, you can't make it more strict now. I think you guys are going to have to accept it. A majority of the governors are loosening restrictions. Not because they're okay with a lot of death, but because they know it's simply not feasible to keep everything shut down for months on end.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    those are not our only choices. if we had true leadership e would have sufficient testing and contract tracing to greatly reduce the deaths.

Again, are you okay with 4 million + dead?

just because a minority of whiny, entitled, vocal people feel one way doesn't mean that we have to sacrifice millions of our fellow citizens so you can go to the grocer without a mask

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  6. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Many people would risk the deaths over contact tracing.

How China, Singapore, Taiwan, and other countries have been using technology to battle Covid-19

I can’t even wrap my head around how intrusive the gov will be in our lives in 20-30 years. What a great portal this virus could be to those wanting to know our every movement and action.

7. mjbuf05

mjbuf05 Premium Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Wonder if any will actually watch this. Very well respected Dr in his field. What he is saying makes total sense, but I am sure most of you won't watch or dismiss him as he doesn't agree with the masses on the social distancing.

8. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    You guys need to call and argue with cuomo over his 'shocking' numbers. Stay at home!! stop the spread!! :emoji_joy:

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    It will be something along the lines of #notmydoctor.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Yeah, I see where this is going. All about Trump. Do you honestly think if they had the ability to snap their fingers and make that happen, they wouldn't have done it by now? We have tested more people than any other country and it's not close. Could it be better? Sure, but it's not as though the administration and snap their fingers and make it be. They're working towards it. Again, I will point out the country we were told has the #1 healthcare system in the world, France, have tested a smaller per capita amount than the U.S. and have a much higher death rate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Ok so you have no argument as to how those staying at home got infected. Noted.

12. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
  13. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Plentifully debunked, but this is the statement by his professional organization.

ACEP-AAEM Joint Statement on Physician Misinformation

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    you realize that the county that these guys work in and both national physicians organizations strongly condemned this, and YouTube actually removed the original video?

they are 2 urgent care docs who decided to make a political statement. But of course it fit the narrative many wanted to hear, so it has popped up several times on this thread.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. mjbuf05

mjbuf05 Premium Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Link? CA has been aggressive and they are one of the states with cases going up.

upload_2020-5-7_10-42-17.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    From the NY Times article that phil linked above:

"Measuring excess deaths is crude because it does not capture all the details of how people died. But many epidemiologists believe it is the best way to measure the impact of the virus in real time. It shows how the virus is altering normal patterns of mortality where it strikes and undermines arguments that it is merely killing vulnerable people who would have died anyway."

17. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    or have the house power washed with bleach

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mjbuf05

mjbuf05 Premium Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Did you watch the video? Didn't sound like a political statement to me. I want to hear from all sides, not just Dr's that fall in line with my line of thinking. I know there have been many others who have stated things like this. I will try and find some links. The new video from the lady who worked with Fauci is very interesting as well.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I watched. Of course what he said makes sense. But our immune systems aren't going to go to shit staying at home for 2 months. And he ignores the outbreaks in population dense places, as well as simply trying to flatten the curve in these places to prevent hospital overcrowding. What makes sense in Butte won't be the same thing that makes sense in Brooklyn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    What I caught from the video is that we need to be exposed to bacteria and virus in order to have a healthy immune system. I don’t see anyone debunking that argument. Many of us believed that prior to January. I’ve never gotten nor will I get the flu shot. I don’t sanitize my girls the second they walk in the door after they go for bike rides or play in the yard with the neighbors kids. I think they are better off for it. That doesn’t make me an anti-vaxxer either.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and course of action.

• Agree Agree x 1