Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    no time but a triple post? Interesting... :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    page 500.......

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. mjbuf05

mjbuf05 Premium Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Exactly. You have to search for articles in which states or areas don't have enough tests. This was front page news on every outlet 3 weeks ago. Do we have enough to test everybody in the population, no. Will we ever have enough to do that? Not sure, probably not anytime soon. Will everybody agree to take a test? No

I do think we have tests to test anybody who needs one at the moment in most places, or we would be hearing about the shortages.

4. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    And yet there they are :rolleyes:.

Edit: removing snarky comments :oops:

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  5. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Not until almost August at this pace. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    But you implied that if someone wants a test they can get one and now you're saying that its the doctor that makes the call. So perhaps you should clarify your original position.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. AlfaGator

AlfaGator VIP Member

Aug 31, 2007

9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    The article on Kansas (and less clearly on Ohio and other places) was Section A Page 1 of the New York Times last Sunday. Not 3 weeks ago.

10. tilly

Lets address your links in detail:

Nevada: The Nevada article sites specific state clinics, but other clinics say they are "still going steady".
    The state is not out of tests. Specific sites are. Who's at fault in that scenario? No idea.

The article also mentions that at home testing is available for Vegas and Reno, the only two large metro areas in the state.

Wisconsin: The article does not say the shortage is for people needing tests. (Which was my clear claim.)
    The article clearly says they "have made significant and really important progress". It also is only discussing CAPACITY, not need. Test are available for those who need one, but they have the capacity to do much more (ie personnel, locations). They need more tests to make sure they are running the states full capacity, not the states full "need". That is a very important distinction as early on people NEEDING testing could not get it.

North Dakota: The article does not say testing is limited. In fact they have plenty of tests, but the plates needed to process the surplus of tests were allocated by the feds to presumed hotspots.
    Here's the kicker, upon further review a NDSU had the needed plates on hand and there was no state shortage after all.

This is my whole point. Early on, we had no tests. Sick people could not get tested. It was a massive failure.
    Now we are citing states with plenty of tests because they could process more if they have them, or they were unaware they had the needed equipment after all.

Apples to oranges and times are much better.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
  12. tilly

Read back. I said "it is not the case everywhere". I have been very clear that I understand exceptions exist.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. CoGator

CoGator Freshman

Apr 11, 2007
    CO
    Colorado

14. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    "Better" and "If you need a test, you can get a test" are not synonyms. Better? Sure, although that is a very low bar given how bad it was 3 weeks ago. "If you need a test, you can get a test" universally, no, not even close.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Well I responded to post 9936. Do I need to go back and read all 270 of your posts in this thread to get a better understanding of what your position is?

16. tilly

No one that NEEDED testing was without. I have used the term NEEDED intentionally several times now. I referred to Tests WANTED in a different context referring to my area and areas acknowledged some areas differ.

But back to North Dakota: All that needed testing were tested. I addressed ND just upthread:
    "Only targeted demographics, such as teachers and healthcare workers, were supposed to be tested at Monday's event. There wasn't a great turnout, so workers invited the general public a day early."

The NYT article refers to Georgia as having the tests, but hospitals think the labs are too slow so they have developed their own methods.

Conceding a meet packing plant and nursing home, again I ask....where are all these people NEEDING tests that can not get them? And is it not the states fault in both of those instances?

17. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Stop Letting Jared Run Things

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. tilly

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well Trump changed his mind again, and now the Covid team isn’t disbanding.
    So glad we have steady consistent leadership.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. tilly

Again....Where can you not get a tests if you NEED a test?