Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    If there was a reason for the test he should have self quarantined eliminating the ability to infect others.

Amirite?

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I'm not trying to change anything.

I'm merely trying to look at the data and make observations.

Certainly there may be more deaths, the policy of sending known COVID patients back or into nursing home certainly has hastened the deaths of many of our oldest most at risk. Perhaps it was a way to cull the population who is a large expense to the State/Federal Gov. Not saying that was someone's eugenics plan. But it seems that is pretty stupid plan.

In my area 98% of the deaths are people who were 65 or older and almost 80% were 80 or older. Some were on hospice so its likely they would have died any way.

REMOVED UNSUPPORTED LINK>

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

What does that number look like if you take out NJ/NY, Detroit and Nawlins? I think that is the problem when looking at national numbers. My state is like 40% lower than that and it is a top 20 population.
    Take the NE out of this and the numbers are in the 2's and 3's % for a great deal of the country.

You can't look at national data for a country that is the size and varied demo that we are.

If we divided our country into 6 smaller countries, some of those countries might be nice examples, while others might be viewed as total failures.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The CDC link doesn't match the stated claim.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    In Arizona, you still need major symptoms or been in contact with someone who had a confirmed case to get a test. There are 2 drive in sites where you can simply sign an affidavit that you've been in contact with someone, but they're both a 45 minute to hour drive for me, then you wait in line. So technically I could get tested, but it would take half a day.

As for opening up the country, Gov. Cuomo said it best. Either we lesson the economic burden but cause the body count b go up, or we save more lives while we shelter in place longer. We need to figure out what's most important.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. tilly

This.

I appreciate you Phil because you just speak facts. Good and bad.

It is weird that saying anything positive is viewed as defending Trump by some.
    Just be honest people, even if on the off chance that honesty makes Trump look somewhat good.
    Be honest when things are bad. Be honest when things are good.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe you’re the one seeing the whole picture and everyone else is blind, but then again, those some of those people probably think the same about you.

The UK's coronavirus policy may sound scientific. It isn't | Nassim Nicholas Taleb and Yaneer Bar-Yam

8. tilly

Az, this is exactly my point. Two months ago there were no tests. It was all we heard.

Now the complaint is only those who show symptoms or are willing to make a 45 minute drive can get one?

1. In your state symptom free testing is available for those who really want it.
    2. There is no shortage for those in need (and no 45 minute drive required for them I assume)

I mean outside of having the tests Amazon Drone dropped in your driveway, what do we want?

This is a huge improvement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tilly

As we approach 500 pages in this thread, an Off Topic reminder of how much we love football.

It has taken us 2 1/2 months to reach 500 pages for the worst pandemic in our lifetimes.
    It took just 8 days to reach 500 pages in The Thread. :D

#GoGators

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    TY,

Bad thing about the net you get the same link from 4 different articles.
    I'll look for the actual spot on the CDC site.

Thanks again.

Hard to find a way to compare month - month data.

I did find this.
    In 2018, a total of 2,839,205 resident deaths were registered in the United States—25,702 more deaths than in 2017. From 2017 to 2018, the age-adjusted death rate for the total population decreased 1.1%, and life expectancy at birth increased 0.1 year. Age-specific death rates between 2017 and 2018 decreased for age groups 15–24, 25–34, 45–54, 65–74, 75–84, and 85 and over.

11. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Here is a CDC link for excess deaths, which shows that total US deaths in March are up. The orange line is the upper bound for the 95% confidence interval on expected deaths. You can see the 2017-18 flu season, and you can see covid19 taking us over that threshold in March. The dataset they are using is the same one that only reported 37,000 covid19 deaths this week, so they are a couple weeks behind. But even with that limitation we can easily see the massive increase in deaths in the US.

Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. tilly

My HR Director just forwarded all me a memo from our county to pass along to my staff stating that the county has free testing for anyone who wants it M-F 8am - 5pm.

• Like Like x 5
  13. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    What we want vs. what we will ever be able to have are two different things.

Personally, i want to be able to pick up the phone, schedule a test - whether I pay the cost or not is irrelevant to me.
    Then, since i have to go out among people, i want to be able to do that against next week. And, on and on and on if i so chose.

What reality is in N Carolina is, if you are sick, have a doctors perscription or have been exposed to someone with the disease, you can get tested once. That is it.

Getting tested once is great, for today. If you want to truly contain this, everyone needs to be able to be tested multiple times and frequently. There is simply no reality where that can occur.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. tilly

What county are you in? I am in Wilmington. New Hanover County.
    Anyone can get free testing right now. See my post above.

I mean they ask for you to have symptoms, but a headache is listed as a symptom. It has been on our news. Zero cases in our hospitals. 3 deaths. (all 3 happened weeks ago), and plenty of testing. Outside of Charlotte and the Triangle, NC is doing great, especially on the coast.

15. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    This may be the most unaware statement about unaware statement claims posted in a while. Shame on you tilly o_O
    How myopic can you be judging America by your state only :rolleyes:

16. tilly

It would be myopic, had I done that. I mention others...clearly. I mentioned the entire NE in one post. I mentioned dividing the country into six regions in another.

What I am asking is where is their a shortage of tests outside of the other states that I mentioned (that you are now claiming I did not mention.)?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    starting to get worried?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Guilford County. Just to see, i called the number, sat on hold for a time (not too bad) and at the end of the screening, they said I was not a candidate for testing.

19. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Here is one article from today:
    Coronavirus test shortage? The state is working on it

Here is another article, but from may 1.
    https://madison.com/ct/news/local/g...cle_870c35ac-67a3-5a4e-8760-69d8201f9318.html

North Dakota loses out in COVID-19 competition for supplies, cancels testing events

I don't have time right now to search for more.

20. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Here is one article from today:
    Coronavirus test shortage? The state is working on it

Here is another article, but from may 1.
    https://madison.com/ct/news/local/g...cle_870c35ac-67a3-5a4e-8760-69d8201f9318.html

North Dakota loses out in COVID-19 competition for supplies, cancels testing events

I don't have time right now to search for more.