Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Wow. Geez man. With all due respect. (And I think you know I mean that.) I think you are reading into one word and ignoring multiple others.
    Let's break down what I said, and I will concede where I got it wrong per your claim.

OK. So above, I did use the word "is" in saying I think it "is not as bad as some think because"...I then went on to give my reasons why.
    I used the word "was" and "before". (As in past tense) and acknowledged the economy is "struggling during a pandemic". But questioned what that had to do with "before" the pandemic. All of this clearly shows that I am referring to PAST tense.

Next quote:
    Now above I did incorrectly use the word "are", but I was referring to the general economy that GK was mocking. I sort of prove that by saying "was good" and "it was" in the same quote, but yes I incorrectly used the word "are" in the present tense when talking about the post virus economy.

Next quote:
    Here again, I use past tense terms on three occasions.
    1. "American's were pretty happy with the economy"
    2. It "WAS chuggin' along."
    3. "WAS three months ago."

So to clarify. I referred to the good economy 8 times. 7 in the past tense with one erroneous use of the present tense.
    I also twice mention that the virus has shut down the economy. So I think some grace can be served as to what I meant when I give 9 references to the virus hurting the economy and once incorrectly used the word "are" when speaking about the economy.

So if you were referring to the "are" reference, then yep. I misspoke. If you are speaking to my belief that the economy is not as bad as some thing now due to the stimulus, then I don't know how we rectify either side, but I am more thinking of this economy as frozen, then I am dead. Unemployment numbers are mostly temp according to many folks. Could I be wrong? Of course. I just think we will see a quicker resurrection than people think.

And @gatorknights , I love ya man, and I should not have said that. I like to rib you about your RE rants, but that crossed the line on my part.
    It just gets silly around here. I mean the economy getting hit by a virus does not mean Obama and Trump did not have this thing rolling. It just doesn't...but taking shots at your hard work was low rent of me, and I should not have done that. I called you out publicly and I will ask your forgiveness publicly.

• Like Like x 3
  2. tilly

From my post above:

And @gatorknights , I love ya man, and I should not have said that. I like to rib you about your RE rants, but that crossed the line on my part.
    It just gets silly around here. I mean the economy getting hit by a virus does not mean Obama and Trump did not have this thing rolling. It just doesn't...but taking shots at your hard work was low rent of me, and I should not have done that. I called you out publicly and I will ask your forgiveness publicly.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. tilly

Of course I did. I said it 9 times. But I crossed the line with GK. and Davis and I are good. We bang heads on certain issues but have a lot of common ground.
    I make no bones about the fact that they are two of my favorite posters on this board, though the feeling may not be mutual at the moment. ;):D

• Like Like x 1
  4. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Today's "Helpful Tips On How To Kill Your Citizenry" was brought to you by the Committee to Re-Elect Matt Bevin.

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    We're good dude. I respect you for sure. I am a bit touchy about that subject as it was my life as I personally experienced up a lotta jacked up stuff, and good people got hurt by bad people. If we don't recognize it, it is bound to happen again and it should never happen again because we're better than that. In all kinds of weather. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. tilly

I closed a business during the recession. I know. Trust me.

and yes...
    "In all kinds of weather we all stick togetherrrrrrr........during T-H-E-C-O-V-I-D"

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    FWIW,,,,

I love errybody

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 4
  10. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    MUST SEE VIDEO: California Doctors of Immunology Say Only Sick and Elderly Should be Quarantined, Businesses Should Open, and State is Pressuring Drs. to Add COVID-19 Numbers
    California Doctors of Immunology Say Only Sick and Elderly Should be Quarantined, Businesses Should Open, and State is Pressuring Drs. to Add COVID-19 Numbers
    Two California doctors of immunology and owners of a Bakersfield Urgent Care facility say only the sick and immuno-compromised individuals must be quarantined, not healthy people.

Via KIRO News 23 –Doctors Dan Erickson and Artin Massihi said their facilities have tested over 5,200 patients for the coronavirus throughout the county, making up for over half of all testing in Kern.

According to their data, the death rate of the coronavirus is similar in prevalence to the flu.

Dr. Erickson: ER doctors now, you know, the friends that I talk to are saying you know it’s interesting that when I’m writing up my death report I am being pressured to add COVID. Why is that? Why are we being pressured to add COVID? To maybe increase the numbers and make it look worse than it actually is?… This is not about science and it’s not even about COVID. When they use the word “safe” the word safe is about controlling you. So when I talk to all of my ER doctors who work in a hospital with no stake in the game, same opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  11. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    Another conservative conspiracy theory written by a guy given awards by breitbart. The actual article has so much spin it’s not even worth disputing. Conservative talking points are just nuts at this point trying to get people back to work for the sole purpose of getting the president re-elected. It’s gross.

edit: only lifesite and the gateway pundit are pushing this right now. Both are extremely right wing and the pundit is known for pushing fake news conspiracies. What’s funny is a Canadian sourced online site like lifesite is viewed as slightly more believable than the gateway pundit. Why do people read this garbage.

I recommend that you listen to a podcast called rabbit hole that discusses how sites and videos like this radicalize people. Don’t let yourself be radicalized by fake news and agenda based reporting.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    • Winner x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  13. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    They read it because it because facts and truth do may matter. They live in the realty of “alternative facts.” That reality looks at 50,000 plus deaths in a very short period and wait, “just like the flu” or no worse than the flu. That report grabs onto statistically flawed studies that rely on self selected subjects and ignored the lack of statistical reliability. Etc. And when the “it is a Democratic hoax” or it will go from 15 cases to zero etc. false clams blow up, they just move to the next false reality with no accountability for their falsehood. Once you see Breitbart or Gateway Pundit, might as well move on.

14. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    this is a predictable strategy for the right wing right now. They’ve tried just about everything else now the only way to convince people that everything is over exaggerated is to reduce the credibility of the statistics. If they can convince people that the numbers dead are all part of a “plandemic” then they can forever push the conspiracy that this is no different than the flu and a hoax by the liberal media and academia/science institutions to ruin the economy to hurt trump’s reelection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I've largely lurked here the past 2-3 days b/c I wanted to sort out my own thoughts on this re-opening.

I'm sure I'm viewed as extremely liberal by most here, and on most social issues involving liberty and freedom I absolutely am.

However,if you've read my posts over the years, on most fiscal issues I'm far more moderate, maybe even somewhat pragmatically just right of center today, having run numerous large (multi-billion $) real estate platforms around the country for public and private companies whose names would be well known to anyone in the RE or finance business.

My conclusion is simple, if: 1)we don't get this economy started at least in part soon and 2) the cash flow impacts of the stimuli packages run out of steam on or around 6/1-6/15, then we will have a new normal, and it won't just involve wearing mask and gloves. It will involve 20%+ of systemic unemployment and a several year recession/ worldwide depression that will run right through my and many of your targeted retirement dates. We're already forecasting an almost $4T deficit this year. Think about that, tea partiers and proclaimed fiscal conservatives, and only about half is from the pandemic, so maybe we shouldn't be so quick to label others any more.

Likewise, it will be easy in hindsight to say, see, we should have just shut the country down for 6 weeks starting on 3/15 and we'd be out of this. Well, we didn't, we wouldn't be, and we're well past that point of saying "I told you so"- hindsight won't solve this problem and just adds to the enormous existing friction so there's really no sense to revisit it daily. The issue is what do we do starting NOW (and I'm not calling out any poster specifically).

If you want a reminder as to how important the American consumer is to the rest of the world, all we need to do is screw this re-opening up and it will be on full display with a prolonged worldwide depression. There's not a person in America who wants that and the accusations on this board that "liberals want a recession" are just foolhardy.

The bottom line is simple. We need to get this country re-opened BUT we need to do so smartly. Re-opening a hair or nail salon in Walton County FL (where we have a beach place-most pristine beaches in America down there -35 cases, 0 deaths) is very different than re-opening one in Fulton County GA (where our primary residence is-2,543 cases, 91 deaths) which is very very different still than re-opening one in Williamsburg, Brooklyn (Kings County NY-where our daughter is supposed to live but she's been with us for the past 6 weeks-41,660 cases, 3,734 deaths).

Brian Kemp (of whom I am no fan personally, I think he's a very unbright man regardless of politics) has largely gone all in on re-opening GA while our case counts are still increasing and where its not yet that easy to get a test. Time will tell whether he's correct, but if he's wrong, and if these other governors are wrong, the price we pay for re-closing and starting over, and the systemic loss of confidence that will cause to our economic system, will force us to pay a brutal price that will take many years to repay.

So like I said above, this re-opening should only be done with extreme caution, and with political and scientific leadership the likes of which we've not seen in many years. The complexities are enormous, but we've already prepaid $2T for re-admission, and a second one will be far more costly.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    All I got out of that was....BLAH BLAH...I'm in real estate......real estate....I'm bigger in RE than @gatorknights ......LOL

:D:D:D:emoji_upside_down::emoji_upside_down::emoji_upside_down::emoji_upside_down::emoji_upside_down::emoji_upside_down::emoji_upside_down::ninja3::ninja3::ninja3:

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Huh?

18. slayerxing

Aug 14, 2007
    good post. I’m sorry to tell you we don’t have the leadership in place to do this right. Sorry lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Sorry North I was trying to be funny this morning at your expense. GK always references his mortgage/RE experience in everyone of his humorous posts. I was throwing props his way.

Serious note I agree with your post.

• Like Like x 2
  20. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm looking on the bright side. At least the U.S. has not fallen apart to the point that a labradoodle was named head of HHS.

• Winner Winner x 1