Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    She's thinking "People really voted for this guy?"

RIP in advance to the Trump supporters who will try this miracle treatment of injecting yourself with disinfectant.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Antibody Testing: Proves We've Been Had!
    Antibody Testing: Proves We've Been Had!

Cuomo announced that antibody testing in New York state, which only began four days previous, was already demonstrating that at minimum 13.9% of New Yorkers, had COVID-19 late stage antibodies.
    With a population of 19,540,500 the findings point out that over 2,500,000 New Yorkers had the virus and have recovered. Keep in mind that as of this writing that only 263,000 New Yorkers have currently confirmed cases. Also as of this writing New York has reported 19,543 fatalities.

We’ve been told that the true death rate is 7.4% in New York. We were told there would be hundreds of thousands dead. We were told that this was worse than the flu, which has still recorded more deaths to date in this past flu season—even though the CDC instructed medical personnel to start counting influenza, heart disease, pulmonary, respiratory, drug overdose, and possibly even car crash deaths as COVID-19 deaths.

We were told that we had to upend an economy, go into solitary confinement, and divorce ourselves from normal life because this would rage beyond any previous pandemic. We were told that this virus with 846,000 current confirmed cases was worse than the H1N1 that broke out on Obama’s watch that infected 60,000,000 people. (We were conveniently not told that Obama had authorized $3.7 million U.S. tax dollars to be used at the Wuhan Institute of Virology to utilize corona viruses in bats in 2015 — but that’s yet another deception of omission.)

But none of these “truths” turned out to be so.

The death rate in New York State isn’t 7.4%, it is actually .75%. The recently ended influenza season numbers from the CDC indicate possibly 56,000,000 cases of flu, 740,000 hospitalizations, and 62,000 deaths. Under the current count from the Johns Hopkins Dashboard in this five month stretch CoVid19 has racked up 845,959 confirmed cases, 122,000 hospitalizations and 46,972 deaths.

A couple of other observations are extremely relevant. To begin with the flu — which has no vaccine but rather a randomized version of a shot designed to help develop antibodies to fight the version of the flu that “smart people” *think* will be the primary version that particular year — has remedies that physicians prescribe in primary care on an as needed basis. So we’re not accustomed to thinking that the flu is this deadly killer that all of life must be shut down to prevent

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. fda92045

fda92045 GC Legend

Feb 19, 2012
    Only in America.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Sorry but you're letting yourself be led astray. I just don't have the enegry to pick apart his flawed arguments.

Disappointing that you so easily by into his bloviation, however.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    She was probably wishing she had left a painkiller in the pocket of that coat while biting off the end of her tongue.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Israeli Professor Shows Virus Follows Fixed Pattern
    Israeli Professor Shows Virus Follows Fixed Pattern

Professor Yitzhak Ben Israel of Tel Aviv University, who also serves on the research and development advisory board for Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, plotted the rates of new coronavirus infections of the U.S., U.K., Sweden, Italy, Israel, Switzerland, France, Germany, and Spain. The numbers told a shocking story: irrespective of whether the country quarantined like Israel, or went about business as usual like Sweden, coronavirus peaked and subsided in the exact same way. In the exact, same, way. His graphs show that all countries experienced seemingly identical coronavirus infection patterns, with the number of infected peaking in the sixth week and rapidly subsiding by the eighth week.

The Wuhan Virus follows its own pattern, he told Mako, an Israeli news agency. It is a fixed pattern that is not dependent on freedom or quarantine. “There is a decline in the number of infections even [in countries] without closures, and it is similar to the countries with closures,” he wrote in his paper.

“Is the coronavirus expansion exponential? The answer by the numbers is simple: no. Expansion begins exponentially but fades quickly after about eight weeks,” Professor Yitzhak Ben Israel concluded. The reason why coronavirus follows a fixed pattern is yet unknown. "I have no explanation,” he told Mako, “There are is kinds of speculation: maybe it's climate-related, maybe the virus has its own life cycle.”

But what about Italy and their staggering 12% mortality rate? “The health system in Italy has its own problems. It has nothing to do with coronavirus. In 2017 it also collapsed because of the flu,” Professor Yitzhak Ben Israel told the news agency. Indeed, Italy’s exceptionally high coronavirus mortality rate is eerily reminiscent of their unusually high flu mortality rates. Supportive of this theory, Germany, has low flu infection and mortality rates and similarly low coronavirus rates.

On the reasonableness of Israel’s unprecedented quarantine and closure, he commented to the news agency, “I think it's mass hysteria. I have no other way to describe it. 4,500 people die each year from the flu in Israel because of complications, so close the country because of that? No. I don't see a reason to do it because of a lower-risk epidemic.”

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Again I completely disagree with you. I'm glad you don't have the energy, I've equally grown tired of explaining my views on this, no reason to any more, you guys haven't posted a thing yet to change my views. Stay safe and get some rest

8. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Hilarious and depressing at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    In short, that posted narrative was dead wrong in some spots, misleading in others, and actually confirms the claims you rail against all along in others.

I hope you stay safe too.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    She's just as bad. I can't imagine a public good from sticking that out. It would have to be one helluva compelling story to explain why she would participate in that menace to society.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    The replacement would probably be worse.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    You don't have to believe me.

Stay safe too.

But try to be better informed since posting that which confirms your biases wont get you there.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    I disagree with you also. I think you and others should continue living the way you that make you feel the safest. I know that's what I've been doing

14. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    It's not that I don't believe you, I believe you actually believe everything you've stated and you mean the best for all, It's just that I disagree with you on this. Your last comment, you and the others you should follow your own advice

15. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If it makes you feel unsafe? We may on the road to agreement here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Another coronavirus-denier is a goner after calling it a hoax. Hopefully he didn't infect too many innocent people before he died.

'Sadly He Is Not With Us': Family Mourns A Dad Who Denied, Then Died From, COVID-19

The family of John McDaniel, an Ohio man who died from COVID-19 after initially claiming the pandemic was overblown, is grieving this week. McDaniel's wife says they're also mourning the fact that her husband didn't get a chance to change the stance he took against the initial public response to the outbreak. It's now clear, she adds, that shutdown orders were necessary.

"We know if John was still here with us he would acknowledge the national crisis we are in, abide by the stay-at-home order, and encourage family and friends to do the same," Lisa McDaniel wrote in a Facebook post. "But sadly he is not with us and we will forever have to live and cope with how his life ended far too soon."

She added, "Further, we will never be able to erase from our hearts and minds the negative posts that have been made and shared about John this past week." The backlash against John McDaniel's early remarks about COVID-19 on Facebook and Twitter forced his family to cancel plans to put a video stream of his funeral service online.

McDaniel died at age 60 last week, becoming the first person reported to have died from COVID-19 in Marion County.

'Sadly He Is Not With Us': Family Mourns A Dad Who Denied, Then Died From, COVID-19

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Changed my mind. Decided to go through his points, or most of them anyway. It's a deceitful article that relies on fallacious reasoning to knock down all the supposed lies.

What is disappointing is seeing people being taken in by it.

We’ve been told that the true death rate is 7.4% in New York.

--He’s twisting the entire discussion by trying to say folks were certain that 7.4% was the the true number...as opposed to being what the current known number was. It was the number of deaths to cases since we can't include cases we don't know about.

--There has been hella speculation from the gitgo about what those unknown numbers might be. We're just starting to get to get at this. We're in the top of 1st still, as far as total exposure is concerned.

-Bottom line is no one was saying the 7.4% is the "true death rate"

--It's the w'eve had to work off of

--I notice though he doesn’t mention “who told we” and what they actually said.

We were told there would be hundreds of thousands dead.

--We were told that hundreds of thousands could be dead. And it might happen nationally. We're already half way there in two months time

--We were also told it is possible even likely (as those suggest probability, not the kind of absolute certainy he's baselessly setting up to knock down) that the number could actually reach into the millions without doing anything. Also based on models and past pandemics.It is possible, still, though seeming more remote now.

--No one has suggested these things were certain.

--Yet, another twisting of things.

We were told that this was worse than the flu, which has still recorded more deaths to date in this past flu season—even though the CDC instructed medical personnel to start counting influenza, heart disease, pulmonary, respiratory, drug overdose, and possibly even car crash deaths as COVID-19 deaths.

--We were told that it could be worse than the flu and that the spread and death rate was higher because that is what the numbers show...still.

--We were also told that this is worse than the flu because we have no treatments, no vaccines, and this is a novel animal virus that we knew nothing about and we still don’t know all that much.

--Again, more twisting of things.

We were told that we had to upend an economy, go into solitary confinement, and divorce ourselves from normal life because this would rage beyond any previous pandemic.

--No, no health authority said itwould rage beyond any previous epidemic (notice the pattern of language here, making
    Notice the pattern of language he uses, claiming others were "certain" and things "would" when that was not what was being conveyed.

--What authorities were saying is that it’s possible it could be the worst since the 1918 influenza pandemic. Because we just can't be sure with new infectious disease.

--And yet, we are two months in and things haven’t abated all that much but with thousands dying a day and tens of thousands of new cases a day…and still no proven treatment or vaccine.

--Imagine if we didn’t do any social distancing, what this might look like? (which by the way, his point is what others said a month ago, i.e. if social distancing has positive effects, folks like the author would come back and say this would be evidence it’s not needed, which is what he’s trying to suggest).

We were told that this virus with 846,000 current confirmed cases was worse than the H1N1 that broke out on Obama’s watch that infected 60,000,000 people.

--The 60 million was over a decade (actually 100m). Not in the first year.

--But rather than accept this, you should first be wondering why health authorities reacted differently?

--It wasn’t politics, but different circumstances of the pandemic and community spread. (But notice the obsession in trying to make it about Obama?).

--Anyway, from April 15, 2009 to October 31 2009, there were 22 million cases of H1N1, but only 3.9k deaths, or a death rate of .018%

--That is far lower than even the flu, which had a death rate of .10%

--Another way to say it, if the 2018-2019 flu killed at the same rate as H1N1, 6.3k people would have died rather than 34.16k people.

We were conveniently not told that Obama had authorized $3.7 million U.S. tax dollars to be used at the Wuhan Institute of Virology to utilize corona viruses in bats in 2015 — but that’s yet another deception of omission.)

--This is another in a twist, We’ve been part of a large scale effort to identify as many animal viruses as possible to be able to start working on studying them. There is too much misinfo to even deal with here.

But none of these “truths” turned out to be so.

--None of his truths perhaps. Because the article is basically nothing but fallacious reasoning, where he has to mistate things in order to prove them false. This is dishonest.

The recently ended influenza season numbers from the CDC indicate possibly 56,000,000 cases of flu, 740,000 hospitalizations, and 62,000 deaths.

Under the current count from the Johns Hopkins Dashboard in this five month stretch CoVid19 has racked up 845,959 confirmed cases, 122,000 hospitalizations and 46,972 deaths.

--But far higher percentages of death.

--And yet again, we have weapons against the flu; already discussed.

--And we don't know where this will end.

A couple of other observations are extremely relevant.

To begin with the flu — which has no vaccine but rather a randomized version of a shot designed to help develop antibodies to fight the version of the flu that “smart people” *think* will be the primary version that particular year — has remedies that physicians prescribe in primary care on an as needed basis.

So we’re not accustomed to thinking that the flu is this deadly killer that all of life must be shut down to prevent

--The flu has multiple vaccines, that are continually updated, but there are multiple strains of flu viruses that emerge each year and sometimes, despite a comprehensive year-round worldwide surveillance system, they might predict wrongly which one will dominate.

--The flu is deadly, but as far as we can tell right now, it's much less deadlier than sars-cov-2, which again, we still don't have any protections or proven treatments.

--Another way to put it, if we didn't have these things for the flu, there's a good chance that it would be far deadlier than it is each season and we'd have to be social distancing and shutting down to slow the spread.

--And just imagine if we didn’t social distance or shut down for sars-cov-2?

--What do you think the might have looked like at this point?

Stay safe.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville

19. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Everyone will have their eyes on Sweden

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    When I heard he had said using light to kill the virus, I didn't think much of it because hospitals will supplement normal cleaning methods (in ORs and Isolation rooms after discharge) with UV light machines to help contain hospital acquired infections. I am guessing whichever expert he listened to for 8 seconds while he was tweeting was probably working that angle.
    Unfortunately, he is trump and had to quickly veer into the incredibly stupid zone.
    I wonder if the hardcore supporters who believe everything he says will give the injections a try?

• Agree Agree x 1