Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    We weren't talking aout death rate. We were talking about the CDC method of recording deaths. Death rate going up or down won't be the determining factor about reopening. It's mostly about number dying daily and also number of new cases on the back half of the curve. Also we've known about who is at the most risk from the beginning.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Here's my main issue and why I would consider joining one of these protests that have been going on. The chance of death from Covid-19 is less than one-quarter of one percent for most of the working age population. And that's of course if you actually get it. Children are essentially bulletproof from this thing. At some point, we have to make some choices. You can't decapitate an economy like ours for such a low risk proposition. Tell those over 65 to quarantine if you really want to save lives. Keeping businesses shut down for months on end will do more harm in the end.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    “Re-opening” everything isn’t gonna make a damn bit of difference either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    You have to start somewhere. What do you propose? Keep everything shut down completely until July and then issue a PSA that tells everybody "Ok!!! GO SHOPPING NOW!!!" Do you really think that's how it's gonna work?

5. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    It has already been decaptitated. Opening hair salons a couple weeks/months early isn’t going to be a magic wand that prevents a recession. The recession is here and it’s severe regardless of how quickly things open back up. That’s just the way it is until there is a vaccine. All we can do right now that will make a difference is save lives.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. itsover

itsover Recruit

Nov 10, 2019
    Whic
    I agree with the economy being ruined, but I take into account medical supply and demand... Its hateful either way..

7. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Wanting an accurate count of cases and deaths has nothing to do with politics. Getting accurate numbers only helps the response in the long run. And there is no need to make this look any worse than it already is. With regards to Trump, Democrats have all they need based on his past actions and statements. Clips of him saying we will soon be down to 0 cases and all the other stupid stuff he said ('I don't take responsibility at all') aren't going to play well in the fall.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    No I don’t. I think it will be a lot longer than that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    20 flights? That’s crazy and I hike all the time. 12 flights and you start a bit of sweat. 20 is definitely sweating.
    • You burn 1.5 calories per flight of stairs
    • 3,500 calories is one pound
    • 50 lbs is 175,000 calories of burn
    • 175,000 / 1.5 = 116,000 flights of stairs
    • That’s 300 flights a day or more than one world Empire State Building a day.
    I think your buddy cheated and ate better too. Lol.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mjbuf05

mjbuf05 Premium Member

Jan 11, 2012
    What an absolutely ridiculous statement. Unbelievable. Yeah people want to open the economy for him to get re-elected. It has nothing to do with people concerned about their careers and losing the ability to support their families. I really have to shake my head at some of you. Not everything is political although it seems to be to the majority on here.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    I have a couple of "what abouts" with this plan.

What about those over 65 who still have to work?
    What about those under 65 with comorbidities?
    What about those over 65 in nursing homes?
    What about those over 65 that live with younger people?
    What about those over 65 getting groceries and essentials?

I'm not being confrontational but I can't come up with good solutions to these problems until a vaccine and treatment come out. Also I doubt the country could stomach the loss of 500k (that's only 1% of the over 65 crowd) elderly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. itsover

itsover Recruit

Nov 10, 2019
    July? Wait until the 2nd wave.. Goodbye college football as we know it

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Maybe in the dead of summer in Atl after 20 or so, but not much.
    I’m an ultra trail runner and use to use our 22 flights of stairs to compensate for lack of decent mountains around atl.
    Would also run them after my long runs. My buddy ran them with me but he did it with a weight vest. Beast.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Dude, folks, meaning Trump and his supporters (including on fox), have been railing against this virus as being serious, calling it a dem hoax, no worse than the flu. Dems just trying to hurt Trump's reelection etc ad nauseum. It's still going on and that sentiment has been expressed numerous times on too hot, so no, dangole's statement is not ridiculous; Trump and his supporters have said what they said, which is the ridiculous thing.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    Opening up the economy won’t save the economy

This will be an experiment, of course, but the best available evidence casts doubt on the idea that enough customers will return to make it possible for small businesses to stay viable without additional government assistance.

For example, we know customers began abandoning America’s restaurants before they were ordered closed, that the handful of states that have avoided broad lockdown orders are still feeling economic pain, and that huge swaths of the economy that have not been shut down are nonetheless experiencing a precipitous decline in sales.

The problem is a question of fear. Americans fear spreading or contracting infection, so much so that they’ve overwhelmingly participated in social distancing measures. They tell pollsters by wide margins that they fear lifting those restrictions too soon much more so than too late. They’re willing to stay put even if it harms the economy.

They also fear economic hardship. That’s led prudent people, even those left relatively unharmed by the downturn so far, to delay nonessential purchases, like new cars, appliances, clothes, and other goods.

Whatever choices state officials make about opening things up, there’s not going to be a vibrant economy until real steps are taken to address those dual sources of fear.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Brilliant. In that case, let's just keep her shut down until we find a vaccine. I mean, after all, it's already decapitated, right? How much more damage can we really do?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  17. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This is why we need massively more testing, so we can identify those who have already had it. Not just so we have a better understanding of how the disease works and what the real death rate is, but also so we can get people back to work.

Testing, testing, testing. We need much more of this. Antibody testing so we know who has had it and can be cleared to go back to work, weekly testing for everyone else so we can stop it when it pops back up. It spends too much time contagious and asymptomatic for us to mess around with waiting for symptoms before testing.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    Knowing exactly how long the antibodies last is extremely important as well.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. itsover

itsover Recruit

Nov 10, 2019
    We might find out...

20. mjbuf05

mjbuf05 Premium Member

Jan 11, 2012
    So Trump's supporters have said they only want to open economy so he will be elected? Show me an example and if they did, its just as a ridiculous statement.

I would imagine the majority on here vehemently against opening the economy anytime soon are probably not heavily impacted by the current shutdown. Is it too early? Probably, but in most places other than NYC and maybe Michigan the numbers are showing that the hospitals are not going to be overrun. I have no issue with reopening in a few weeks if the numbers show its ok, ie low % of positive tests, flat curve etc. No reason some states can't start to open right now with their minuscule numbers compared to population.

The service industry has been crushed by this right now as expected, go another month or two and EVERY industry will start to be effected more and more. Thats the point we we are looking a very long recession or more likely another depression. I am on the front lines of this when it comes to the economy (work with all the major homebuilders) and while numbers are down they aren't as down as we thought right now. Go another month or god forbid two and we have another 2008 but much worse on our hands.

I am not calling for an all in opening, I don't think many are. But we have to start phasing things in, especially in places with low numbers. This thing isn't going away, people are going to get it. There is no easy answer, but what we are doing isn't sustainable for another two months. Period. The economic damage will be something like none of of have ever witnessed.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020