Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Congratulations, you found a similarity between covid19 and the flu.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I just think that everyone should be reporting to the same standard. All countries should do it the same way, otherwise, comparison of death rates, infection rates, etc., is meaningless.
    And all states should report the same as well.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Hard to do that right now. Some deaths are down due to lock downs. Certainly there are less deaths due to elective procedures and hospital acquired illnesses.

4. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    They don't do that for simple things like infant mortality why expect it for this?

5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting video on how this attacks the body.

6. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Disagree. Financial data of firms, EPS, etc. are compared all the time & for the most part the people making the comparisons know that EPS is measured differently across firms (& they know it is also manipulated). Noisy data is not meaningless data.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    how about to see what progress is being made in order to re-open the economy and put millions of people back to work.

8. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The Chinatown district in San Fran is is not in an isolated part of town. Just west of the Financial District and just North of Union Square, which is the shopping area of the city. If you went to see the seals and hop on a ferry to Alcatraz on Pier 39, and went due south, you'd run into Chinatown. Point is, thousands of people a day visit Chinatown in their normal, daily routines, or come within a mile of Chinatown, SF borders if they work in the Financial District or shop/stay in Union Square.

At the time of Pelosi's announcement, President Trump was seriously downplaying the seriousness of the disease. In hindsight, I wish Pelosi would have been more concerned about people's lives, but remember, President Trump did claim the D's overreaction to Coronavirus was just another hoax! Pelosi should have urged more caution. So should have Trump.

As for modelling, they are never 100% statistically accurate. Especially early in a pandemic. During the worst of the worst in NYC, hundreds of people were already dead when first responders arrived on scene. Is it honestly worth the time and energy to test every one of them, especially when tests were not abundant at the time? Of course not.

It's not perfect, but if someone in a Corona hotspot area of NY dies at home, odds are, it was from COVID-19. Better to count them in the morbidity totals and sort everything out later when there is time. Would we really prefer an undercount as compared to an overcount?

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Only 12,342 new cases so far today. Would be great if we ended below 20,000 though I'm sure there's a lot more to come in.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Why, by trying to keep the population healthy? So predictable. If Bevin was in there, 25% of the state would be dead or dying. You should get down on your knees and thank whatever God you believe in that your Bevin Victory Party was such an embarrassing bust.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There aren't nearly enough test kits to test the living.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    the governor’s objective is not as simple as keeping people healthy. Our gov in colo said if this was only about health we’d keep the stay at home order until sept, but it also has an economic, psychological & quality of life component. It’s true

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I was on a private zoom call with the asst director of public health for USC Med school (the one in in LA) a couple hours ago. Convo was limited to the virus utself, and not any surrounding policy matters.

Here's what he generally shared with us:

1. It's still in the very early innings in terms of understanding a virus. Need to get through the pandemic before we can seriously analyze what happened during the pandemic. And need a full virus cycle to understand and predict its behavior.

2. Testing, testing and more testing. That's the only way to get the data.

3. Vaccine probably 12-18 months away, realistically. It would be largely good fortune to have one sooner for a virus this difficult.

4. But even with a vaccine, coronas have a history of mutating more than average viruses do, so a fall 'bounce back" with a different viral strain should be expected at this point. Made me think of school/football, etc.

5. Thinks for whatever indigenous reason that virtually everyone in NYC was potentially infected. Does not have an answer why the death rate was so much higher there, could be several things, including rampant unreported infections. Said it was anomalistic but that genetics, lifestyle, density all play a part in the outcome. Similar potentially for LA County in terms of % infected (they just finished a study) but with a lower death rate. Thinks the ultimate death rate here is probably/possibly 4-5 x of the flu, so if the same number of people are infected, well, we can do the math. Discussed the greater difficulty on lungs, etc of corona vs. the annual flu.

Conclusion: The science world is just now starting to get its arms wrapped around this virus a little bit. You could sense his frustration in not having definitive answers to specific, granular questions we asked because there's simply not information available to us yet to reach hard and fast medical conclusions on a lot of these issues. If he can't reach a conclusion yet, I certainly don't think we can on either side of the issue. This is as much art as it is science today.

That about sums it up. Don't intend to debate because these are not my opinions; just sharing with the board.

Edit: 2 pet cats in NYC just tested positive.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 3
  15. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    That would be ideal, but it will never happen. Don't think it could ever happen

Though I wouldn't go so far as to say meaninginless otherwise. It takes some heavy qualifying and reminders (to self, so to speak) that reporting differences matter and that we need to be careful about how heavily we draw conclusions while knowing this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    Today's numbers are sure to be below yesterday's because every Tuesday this month has seen the largest numbers reported. This is likely due to weekends, lack of processing by medical examiners issuing certificates on weekends, fewer staff in reporting agencies, etc.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
  19. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    This is just pathetic.

"The doctor who led the federal agency involved in developing a coronavirus vaccine said on Wednesday that he was removed from his post after he pressed for a rigorous vetting of a coronavirus treatment embraced by President Trump. The doctor said that science, not “politics and cronyism” must lead the way.

"Dr. Rick Bright was abruptly dismissed this week as the director of the Department of Health and Human Services’ Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, or BARDA, and as the deputy assistant secretary for preparedness and response.

"Instead, he was given a narrower job at the National Institutes of Health. “I believe this transfer was in response to my insistence that the government invest the billions of dollars allocated by Congress to address the Covid-19 pandemic into safe and scientifically vetted solutions, and not in drugs, vaccines and other technologies that lack scientific merit,”

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    I don't know why . Me personally I think anyone that has underlining conditions they should be separated . I think the numbers would be more accurate then.

What do you think was the main reason for shutting down our country? Do you think it was the right choice and should we still keep it this way

• Friendly Friendly x 1