Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It's hard to say whether it's actually more contagious or it's more deadly. Maybe a little bit a both, or maybe it's just more deadly. The math insists it's definitely at least a few times more deadly than any recent flu season, as even WITH social distancing, and in a short time frame, the number of deaths is already basically a full flu season.

From what I've read/learned about the flu (as well as previous SARS outbreaks), was that they typically only spread WITH symptoms and a person is typically only contagious for a few days. With that in mind, it's pretty easy to stop those outbreaks where we really tried too (like with Swine Flu and H1N1 and even the extremely deadly MERS). The strategy is to stay the heck away from people showing symptoms! That's all you really have to do. This thing has the insidious nature where it spreads asymptomatically, so you have no idea if you are already spreading it or if you are contacting someone that is spreading it to you. Not sure that is the same thing as being "more contagious" than the FLU or these other corona-viruses, but i guess the net effect is the same, asymptomatic spread allowed it to get a foothold rapidly and undetected.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    we’ll just have to agree to disagree on the larger point.

with regard to Georgia, or anywhere, I think we need to get the economy started wherever we can do so reasonable safely. This is an unnatural state of affairs whose logical conclusion is a worldwide depression. But returning to normal is not a one size fits all proposition.

However, I don’t think that starts with health clubs, movie theaters, hair and nail salons and bowling alleys. Those are simply moronic to open up first (or at all) while the infection count in GA hasn’t peaked yet or is in the process of peaking.

Its as if Kemp got a list of things NOT to open first and said ok, I’ll open these.

How about we start with less dense intensity or reliance on human to human contacts, unlike getting a haircut, like letting people go back to their offices 25-50% density to start and go from there. But a large gym? That’s just moronic.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I think they are working on it.

Most state reports and dashboards (such as Texas, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Missouri, etc.) lag behind or show incomplete data with respect to the data shown by individual counties on their official websites and dashboards, which is what we collecte and aggregate when possible to show the most updated and accurate number in the table below. We will soon publish state-level pages with graphs and the breakdown by county.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    If they tested those 80,000 like there doing COVID then it's flawed. They've already confirmed that rural communities are not testing all that have died , so people that have died with symptoms like Covid, they're listing it as Covid that's very flawed

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  5. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Your argument is essentially that two wrongs must make Pelosi right. She clearly has plenty of access to intel and the Chinatown visit was in response to Trump's China travel ban. So it stands to reason she at the very least shown have known there was a risk if anyone had recently flown to China and yet she invites people to Chinatown. Where are you more likely to encounter someone who has recently visited China? At a Trump rally or in Chinatown? Please, just stop embarrassing yourself with this crap.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Neither are tests required to confirm flu deaths. They model them.

7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Flu season deaths top 80,000 last year, CDC says - CNN

An estimated 80,000 Americans died of flu and its complications last winter, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This means it was the deadliest season in more than four decades

9. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    That's why these models are flawed, like I've been stating

10. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    The flu models?

11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So Trump was wrong? Thanks for admitting it. Although, I know you will now walk it back...

Trump supporters never travel overseas? Interesting. Remember, there were outbreaks in quite a few countries by March 2.

BTW, Chinatown has actually mostly held this at bay. Their hospital is actually taking patients from other hospitals because of a lack of cases. They were out in front of this. Amazing what competent leadership can do...

How San Francisco’s Chinatown Got Ahead of the Coronavirus

So I guess your point is that Pelosi was wrong to suggest that you could still visit one of the safest places in the country. Good call. Fits with your record of accuracy on this.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    'Chinatown is not part of China': Trump's tweet at Pelosi is met with criticism online

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Well I would assume if they test the same way than yes

14. RIP

Feb 2, 2015
    I really don't think any of us that don't work in the field as doctors or the CDC & disease modeling should have an opinion on this. I do know one way for us laymen to judge is to look at normal deaths over this time frame vs. actual deaths.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And sometimes I think there are people on this board who would throw the dice and risking thousands of lives if they thought that ending social distancing restrictions would help the economy. Being even more cynical there is at least one politician who would put thousands if not hundreds of thousands of lives at risk if he thought it would enhance of his chance of being reelected.

• Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    What is measured accurately? There's almost always inaccuracies in measures. The important question is are the inaccuracies material? Would/should we be doing anything different if the numbers are off by say 5% or 10%?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    we are on page 400 and getting ready to hit 401, is @tilly getting worried yet?

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Why do you think they're listing them as covid-19 related?

And what do you think should happen?

19. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Ironically, some of these same people will spout off trade deficit numbers. Try to find out how those are measured. One of the worst measures EVER whether it is accurate or not is irrelevant. It is a terrible measure.

20. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    to paraphrase buzz lightyear, to 500 pages, and beyond

• Funny Funny x 1