Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    It's been talked about. The study is very flawed.

2. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I just saw that. But I disagree with the posters who say it’s flawed. I’ll wait until after the actual peer review has been completed. Stanford is a renowned medical research university - one of the best in the world. The peer review of other field experts may shoot it down but until other renowned statistical and medical peers find problems with it, I’ll wait to see what happens vs arguments shooting it down from non renowned experts in the actual field.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    At the very least it will hopefully lead to a larger more controlled study.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Yeah, be nice if some were already being done. I think some European country (France maybe? Or germany?) May have done one as well but also only about 4000 people and I don’t know if they had results yet. The LA times article mentioned a similar study has been completed in LOs Angeles and results are supposed to be out tomorrow.

5. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    "He's turning these briefings into a self-aggrandizing, self-justifying, overly defensive, politically partisan, almost like a rally to him -- almost like what's more important is winning the election in November,"

Piers Morgan

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    I'm one of those posters. I was excited to hear of the study, because this is absolutely something we need to be doing. Unfortunately, the Stanford study was ad-driven on Facebook, participants self-selected by opting in. It is in no way a scientific random sampling. Stanford then weighted the data to account for over- and under-represented groups to reflect broader population makeup.

You don't have to be a medical expert of statistician to see the major flaw here. By letting study participants self select, you don't have a random sample. That is the most fundamental thing in statistics - how to pick a valid sample. Who would be the most likely to want to participate? Were they people that had coughs and fevers previously? People that thought they were exposed to covid-19 somewhere? People that think they had it but never got tested? You simply don't know. Point is, there is no way to know that their group of self selected volunteers is representative of the broader population. To do that, you need a truly random sample.

UM is doing a similar study in S Florida, and working with FPL to get phone numbers of geographically distributed customers selected at random and recruiting those people to participate. This will result in much better data to understand how the virus is spreading.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  7. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    you're wasting your time. There are experts in everything on this board

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    So Fox has Newt Gingrich on this morning from Rome. Talks about Italy restricts being necessarily tight, can’t leave house by 200 feet or so, he approves. Pivots on the US and says we need to be careful but Democrats are politicizing restrictions. “You can have an abortion but can’t go to church”. “Democratic Govs think they are mini gods.”

I would like to open churches for Newt especially. Let’s get him among 400 people. Immediately. Divisive POS. I loath the Republicans.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    You got that from “bacon” on my post? That he was telling me to go and research? Please. You went out of your way to call me out specifically but whatever

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Every study has some flaws, or *limitations.* Basically impossible not to have some. Doesn't matter what institution or who the researchers are that conducted the study. Just the way things are. That said, they're clearly skilled researchers and it wasn't some rinky dink study.

But...I can see this study as being a tough sell. The non-probability convenience sample introduces a bias that they can't easily overcome (which the statistician in the medium article makes a compelling case). It might still get published, I just can't see it as generalizable,

*FWIW, by bias I mean a sampling bias that isn't political. It's just about how they recruited people. Non-probability samples are used often in research, but due to the non-randomized sampling design, it's basically impossible to generalize to a larger population.

But...we can still learn a lot from these types of studies.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    actually, it makes me feel better that they would acknowledge a mistake rather than let it sit, whether intentional or not, and the fact it was corrected so quickly makes me think it wasn’t.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  12. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Newt doesn't know that abortions, as elective medical procedures, have been shut down in the US? Or he doesn't think his followers know?

13. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn't update this over the weekend so it has 3 days worth of new data in it compared to the last one. There were 3 states with no change in number of deaths.

c 4-20-1.JPG
    c 4-20-2.JPG

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Except the NIH is granted by congress not Obama.

NIH grant - Wikipedia

Each institute of the NIH has separate appropriations from Congress determined on an annual basis.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Well, if unintentional there are some mistakes that should not be made and this is one. This error by a “business” publication is akin to a Gator fan accidentally yelling Go Noles in The Swamp on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It just doesn’t happen.

I suspect the publication caught some heat for their blatant and easily detected misrepresentation and were forced to change the title.

16. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I havent heard anyone say it is "very flawed". It is only representative of one region and a select group of respondents and it remains to be seen how that translates nationwide.

That doesn't mean the study is flawed. It just means we are not to a conclusion. Boston is seeing similar things in studies there.

17. tilly

In fairness, they havent been shut down in the US. A few states have limited them...but the US has not shut them down.

18. tilly

The irony in this post. Very tolerant.

1. Italy and the US are completely different. My region of almost 400k people and I think 3 deaths...and last report was that every active case was quarantined and being monitored.

Our hospitals are basically empty with no PPE concerns.

Tests are easy to get here. (I mentioned an employee of mine getting tested same day and getting her good news 48 hours later.

They opened our beaches back today because we dont need the same restrictions as a place like Italy.

Heck, we don't need the same restrictions as Raleigh and Charlotte (as you know.)

2. I mean wishing him to fall ill then doubling down by "loathing" and entire pocket of America that disagrees with you?

Yes. Very tolerant. I know that is a frustrated statement, but you are better than that.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    For a lot of us the tolerance finally gave out once Americans started dying en masse because of the incompetence of this sorry excuse for a POTUS... that there are still folks willing to cosign his bs is a disgrace all its own.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Or perhaps a school that has used an alligator as a mascot for the past 150 years puts a crocodile on the cover of its annual magazine? Seems they'd know the difference, no? Mistakes happen, it was corrected relatively quickly. Which is more than I can say for several media outlets.

I suspect your claims of "blatant and easily detected misrepresentation" would be more muted and less conclusory if the error didn't involve or otherwise reflect negatively on this particular POTUS.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1