Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

What time did the presser end, because it has been going on in this thread for days? :rolleyes::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    There’s been a recent series of interesting pressers, but fair point.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Hard to disagree with you, Tilly. I just find it unlikely that anyone would be working behind the scenes to artificially inflate death counts here. We’ll know more tomorrow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Obese elderly man coughs once, dies of heart attack--coronavirus strikes again. Politically agenda'd statistics are truly a living thing.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    That assumes that tested and non-tested cases were chosen randomly or not systematically or at least that those differences don't matter. Again, you could argue that an abnormal death measure would be better. Regardless, you would likely have to do some sort of a stratification if the demographics were not equivalent, which I would be willing to bet that they aren't. Without sufficient data, their method is a balance between theoretically conservative (i.e., that it doesn't require you to make distributional assumptions that are not supported) and more accurate than relying only on those that received tests.

7. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Somehow I doubt the medical community struggling to get thru this gives a damn about the politics right now.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  8. tilly

Just to be clear. I am not making the leap that this is intentional from some political standpoint, but in a nation in need of any good news, posting the numbers this way when we have been seeing some trends downward was not the best option.

9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Statistics should not be driven by the goal of making people feel better or worse. They should be attempts to describe the situation as accurately as possible. The perceived need for good news should in no way even enter the discussion.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I'd imagine they'd use the population of both confirmed and suspected deaths (both listed initially as suspected and others they/others later identify). I suspect that this is a big reason why the CDC wants unconfirmed covid-related deaths listed. The goal is to be able to reasonably identify that top range, in particular. FWIW, I'm also assuming the CDC will follow a somewhat similar method to how they id the flu.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tilly

Agree. But it does remind me of a story I posted weeks ago in this thread. A man had two heart attacks in a week and died, after having had several in his later life.
    He had a terribly damaged heart. But since he tested for + Covid he is listed as a Covid death. It doesn't speak to anything shady, just that in times like this I think human nature is to overreact and ...maybe...be quicker to attach the Covid label.

12. tilly

Agree, so go back and attach those deaths to the actual days they happened. THAT would be as accurate as possible.
    They have that data. It is an easy fix. While what you say is true, doing it the proper and yes accurate way, would also have been less unsettling.

13. obgator

obgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. GatorGuyDallas

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    I believe I read that is what they are doing. I assume they’ll get it all sorted eventually.

They are going to overstate some with this method. They are going to miss other cases that understate the number.

I think there is a good faith effort to get it right and the net amount of error won’t be meaningful rendering this line of discussion mostly academic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    That is what the Worldometer site is doing (or waiting until they can do it). Agreed that it would not be accurate to put them all today. They haven't even put it into the total death counts yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. GatorGuyDallas

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. obgator

obgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Me too. I was hoping for his photo.

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. GatorGuyDallas

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    To be fair, the administration says it won’t delay the checks. I believe them. I also believe that this is a ridiculous stunt.

19. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta VIP Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    This whole board has been nearly unreadable since Obama has been in office, probably even Bush. I know, I know, I shouldn't come back if that's how I feel but it's like a train wreck, you just want to keep watching. However, it's getting really bad. The things one side complains about during the other team having all the power is the same shit they do and dismiss / apologize for when their team is in office.

I just kind of throw random popshots here and there and that's about it. There's no use having honest conversation here.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I read this too. The cause of death would be ARDS which was caused by complications from COVID-19 (plus there are more lines if necessary), then you would list comorbidities. It's more complicated than people think. Doctors have to make judgement calls all the time on what to put on these forms. Not everyone has an autopsy done nor is one necessary for a doctor to have an reasonable opinion about what the factors were in the death. Who is going to do all these autopsies anyway? It has nothing to do with "padding stats". That's disgusting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1