Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. obgator

obgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The fourteen people in those states are socially distant by default.

2. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    He has dug himself a hole by not fully utilizing the defense production act. If he does it now for swabs, reagents for analysis, testing tubes and so on he’ll look late, late, late.

So now he’s going to double down on pointing at the states and hope the private sector catches up to the testing need.

I can’t come up with any other explanation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    my problem with this is two-fold. first, if 100 people died on march 27 for example, and you 'think" it was from covid19, go back and put the deaths on that day, do not lump 3 or 4 weeks into 1 day,also, what makes them so sure all the deaths were from covid19,seems the vast majority of deaths were elderly or those with pre-existing health conditions, which, and i know many do not want to hear this, can easily be flu related deaths. if you are not 100% sure, dsont put down covid19 as the cause of death.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  4. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    yeah cuz if they can just make Trump look incompetent his base will abandon him.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. GatorGuyDallas

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    CDC telebriefing said on 2/25 that we would see community spread. The spokesman said, “Not if, but when” there would be community spread.

Trump asked later that day about it and said it will be under control.

It was three more weeks before we implemented social distancing.

Today Trump blames WHO for not being on the ball. It’s deflection

Everyone can see his rally, golf and country club calendar in February when his CDC knew the spread was coming. And we can connect the dots to waiting until mid March to act.

The NYT laid it out Sunday. We are now hearing audio from CDC Telebriefings and seeing video of Trump responding to it.

That was Feb 25.

Rally in North Charleston on 2/27
    Rally in Charlotte on 2/28

3/6 Trump says anyone can get a test

3/7 Golf
    3/8 Golf

3/16 15 days to slow the spread announced

He was asleep at the wheel. He knew it would spread. He kept rallying and golfing. No large bulk orders for PPE were placed. We drug our feet on social distancing when we knew, Trump knew, it would spread.

Today was blame shifting from a failed leader. The WHO isn’t faultless. But casting blame on them when he knew and didn’t act is weak sauce from a small man.

• Winner Winner x 8
  6. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Progies gotta get their licks in before the crisis goes away.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    the good news is that as of 2000 hours, the new cases were only 25379 today, unless, of course 10000 suddenly appear on tomorrows count. i voted for trump, but i do not follow lock step with him on some things, just odd that all these deaths in nyc have been out there for weeks and only now are coming to light, what took so long?

8. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    maybe if testing was as great as the great orange one claims it to be they could get that proof but testing is woefully inadequate

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    It might seem odd, but in the midst of a crisis this large, it will take awhile for the full accounting of cases and deaths to occur. The various tracking websites have regularly gone back and updated numbers on different days going back over a month. You have to remember we are talking about thousands of different reporting entities, i.e. hospitals reporting to their locality (city or county) which compiles those numbers and reports them to the states, and it's not all uniform, and determining covid-19 related deaths is not cut and dry because not all people will have have been tested. For the latter situation, it becomes a matter of ascribing causal linkage through identifying symptomatic illness. This is likewise done with flu estimates and other disease estimates where identifying x disease isn't mandatory.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    well, the only sure way to know if they had covid19 and died from it is an autopsy, and i do not think people are going to let loved ones get dug up,just put down natural causes or unknown as the cause of death.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  11. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Brett Kavanaugh says hello.

12. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    new guidance from CDC as to when to list covid as cause of death

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/vsrg/vsrg03-508.pdf

• Like Like x 1
  13. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    It's difficult to measure every test, especially when the focus on hospitals are the living, and there are more and more patients entering the ER on a daily basis. There are also people in NYC dying in their homes or nursing homes that likely had COVID-19, but never made it to the hospital. When there is a shortage of tests overall, do you really use one on a dead person presumed to have died of COVID-19? If we had enough tests, yes, you make sure. But that isn't the case yet.

Here's an article from the NY Times that explains the rise in reported deaths today.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Post your proof. Please don’t just make it up. For each assumption you posted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    and barrack says hey to you.

16. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Figure it out. It isn’t every difficult. All these people were not tested and died of pneumonia in a state where a highly contagious pneumonia is widespread and the state that cannot keep up with the number of dead. It really isn’t that hard. You just have to give up the natural instinct to defend Donald Trump’s handling to this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Blood test works too. But Testing needs to be done in the living.

18. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Am I the only one who can’t wait to pull the lever for a senile woman harasser who stands too close people and is a gaff machine? Why does that seem 100Xs better than this nut?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    But I thought the governors were doing all the heavy lifting. I think Cuomo is responsible for all those deaths.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. GatorGuyDallas

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    Just in case anyone thinks my running diatribe on the list reading was off the mark - Britt Hume agrees with me. :emoji_wink:

[​IMG]

Brit Hume
    @brithume
    · 1h
    POTUS may think using the Covid 19 briefing to read a long list of names of private sector people who are helping in the disease fight is interesting. It’s not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1