Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yes, that appears to be a mistake. I think it is supposed to be 2,216.

2. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    I give Trump credit for pulling a 180 and stopping the downplaying bullshit he was doing for a few weeks. He started taking it seriously. Better than the alternative. :: golf clap ::

Still the fact that he needed to do that in the first place speaks to his incompetence. This was a layup for any capable POTUS. Heed the advice of those that know more than you.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Congress files requests for all emails between Kushner and FEMA officials directing aid brought in on taxpayer funded air bridge. TA abruptly directs that all further communications be done via phone and act like that is the only way they can work remotely (guess email isn't remote enough)...

come on pubs, how can you accept this? If this was Obama having his brother manage this and only do business on phone so there is no record what would you be saying? Honestly?

Lawmakers demand answers on Kushner supply chain influence

Thompson, chair of the Homeland Security Committee, and Maloney, chair of the Oversight and Government Committee, are seeking "all communications between any FEMA employee and Jared Kushner regarding the acquisition, distribution of, or federally directed sale of any form of PPE or of medical supplies and equipment to be used for the diagnosis or treatment of COVID-19," according to the letter.

They're also requesting documentation of contacts between FEMA employees and private sector firms who are working on the coronavirus response on a voluntary basis, information on flights FEMA has arranged for private companies to bring medical equipment into the U.S. for sale, and an explanation of the practices and protocols the agency uses to determine and track the need for PPE and other items.

Lawmakers are taking a keen interest in Kushner's involvement in Project Airbridge, a new program under which the federal government lines up and pays for flights to bring medical equipment into the U.S. from overseas for private companies. The federal government gets to determine where 50 percent of the goods are distributed — potentially redirecting shipments bound for one area of need in favor of another — but the company still gets paid for supplying them.
    ………………………………………..…………..
    "We are troubled by reports that Mr. Kushner's actions — and those of outside advisers he has assembled and tasked — may be 'circumventing protocols that ensure all states' requests are handled appropriately,'" they wrote. "We are particularly troubled that Mr. Kushner's work may even involve 'directing FEMA and HHS officials to prioritize specific requests from people who are able to get Kushner on the phone.'"

Now, all the work for the supply chain task force, which is technically under the command of Navy Rear Adm. John Polowczyk as one of the subunits of Vice President Mike Pence's coronavirus task force, is being done on the phone. Late Monday night, FEMA instructed that task force to work remotely "until further notice."

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    well they need to correct it before people freak out about the big numbers jump today.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Hey, I'll even do the same 180 and give Dr. Fauci, the other health experts and the WHO credit for doing the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. intimigator1

intimigator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Male' Maldives
    You know what is disturbing about people? It's when they strive to find fault in ones thoughts without realizing that every discussion and current position is there for ALL of us to learn and adapt.
    It is completely wrong to assume that ones opinion cannot or would not change with the current nor would it be a good idea to assume that ones thoughts could be wrong.

I realize some feel that everyone should always be vanilla in their thought process. I do not. In fact, I will offer up "what ifs" at every turn if it sparks the ultimate by product...discussion. Throughout my entire life i have learned more from debate, discussion and assessing the same than I have ever learned from short sighted finger pointing arrogant people. Just the way I roll.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The company didn't exist until Monday, and now he's saying it's all "relationships". Wouldn't you at least want to know what the hell "relationships" those are when hospitals and regular supply chains can't even get these masks? You know... people that had actual business relationships. You can't even get masks on Amazon! So what the hell "connections" allows a guy to hijack the supply chain away from hospitals and Amazon? The idea this could be done legitimately and without corruption is laughable.

I wouldn't call this "assuming the worst" so much as simply exercising common sense. If that common sense "pisses you off", so be it.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    It has been corrected. It was actually a bit more than I saw in media reports (I am wondering if they update at several points in the day). Now they are at 2,259.

9. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Quarantine when they return.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I used to DJ at cluck u and my roommate worked in the kitchen. Based on your age, we were probably there on many the same night!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm sure the relationship is with whoever started the company. Hospitals have actual business relationships...with 3M. In all the hospitals I've worked in I can't seem to remember a mask not made by 3M, so I doubt that they have any actual useful business relationships under current circumstances. Since 3M's monthly production capacity is less than 150 million, I'm assuming California is buying it from China.

Now, export rules are changing rapidly in China. Medical equipment is now considered political objects and their exports are strictly regulated by the state. In conclusion, it's likely that import of Chinese masks, particularly of this quantity, will be based on political connections and not business connections.

That obviously doesn't put anyone's mind at ease regarding corruption, but could explain why an American politician may be a bit dodgy when discussing how he's getting all these masks.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    That was the 2.2 million deaths projection. Overrun and overwhelmed hospitals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Be well. Recover and be immune.

14. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    They're already heading there on fox it appears.Took em no time at all. :(

I'm not surprised but I'm feeling a visceral mix of disgust and disappointment over the tortured reasoning.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I said it would happen 2-3 weeks ago. It's simply a position that you can't argue against, so no reason to try.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Yep...A rarity. Are you new here? Pretty sure even the most liberal poster would tell you those moments today are anomalies for me, and I am far from a "Trump defender"

And I did not "mischaracterize" him. I misunderstood. Huge difference and you know it. I quickly publicly apologized and admitted my mistake. So bringing it up now is pretty lame and a dishonest representation of my intentions.

1. What does that have to do with his post pointing out that American's were allowed back in?
    2. How did I "backpedal"? I'll wait for your answer on that one.
    3. Even a couple of dem posters took the post at it's wording. (see City's response #6034 to my quote of the post.) Check out who also agreed with him.
    The post was not clear, Dutchen and City sort of helped clear it up for him, and he then clarifies his own post down thread. Why don't you call them out for their not getting what he meant? @GatorJMDZ clarified his point which I also acknowledged and gave him credit for.

I did not say it was a legal issue. You are making that up.
    I asked if it was a legal issue. Again. Huge difference.
    I asked if there was legal precedent.

I also made no statement as to what I feel was the right thing. I personally think that IF allowed back in they should have been locked down for 14 days, but would have been OK if they were not allowed back in prior to testing at their departure spot.

Because that poster did not say that Trump stopped all flights. He said the WHO opposed Trump stopped the flights that were stopped. The poster never claims that all flights were stopped. He was clearly referring to the flights that the WHO opposed. Here is the entire quote that was being cited:
    "Seriously. F the WHO. You want to talk about not taking it seriously? You want to talk about negligence?? The WHO, you know, the "EXPERTS"? They told us Trump was wrong for shutting down flights from China. Trump, you know, the reality TV star playing president? He told the WHO to kick rocks and guess who was right? Hint: it wasn't the "EXPERTS"!!"
    Correct. Because I give praise where it is due. Including as I mentioned, our democratic governor here, and Obama on several occasions.

Sorry if not playing partisan confuses you.

I don't like Trump.
    I have two daughters, a wife, a mom and two sisters, and find his treatment of women abhorrent.
    Anyone that has been around here, wishes they had a dollar for every time I lamented that I wish he would hand the keys to Pence.
    I even stated on this board that I supported impeachment if for no other reason then Pence could take over and restore dignity to the WH.

But I make no apologies for defending actions, by pub or dem.

So far in this thread, I have praised my dem governor twice and my pub POTUS.

Shame the crap on me.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Jarvis Moss would swat my ping pong ball before it landed in a cup for beer pong.

Always considered it cheating. Urban Meyer “cleaned him up”, whatever you want to call it, but didn’t see him again until he was close to AA winning national championships with the cock block.

God bless that era.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    And Trump lies about what the WHO said. And he falsely takes credit for the strategies implemented by governors and local communities to to shelter in place. strategies he refused to implement. The man cannot tell the truth.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What makes you think hospitals have relationships with the supply chain? Most hospitals get their supplies through 3rd party medical supplies companies and those companies all go through China for almost all PPE and things like swabs (not the crap you buy at CVS) from Italy. Many of these suppliers had so many orders in January (up 400%) and February (585%) that they could not fill orders. I'm not a supply chain expert but I could see this guy learning via the grapevine who to establish supply chains with. I'll take a back seat until I see more. If he does nothing more than mend the supply chain and get more PPE into the country, awesome. But if he does it by either railroading existing suppliers that hospitals only know about or jack up the prices, off with his head. I'm not a fan of "don't let a good crisis go to waste."

Exercising common sense to you guys is guilt until proven innocent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Valid counterpoint. I think terms do get overblown here. There are posters who come here just to throw bombs...heck we mods delete them all the time.
    Your point about the scripture is a valid one in retrospect. I should have just let him answer.

• Agree Agree x 1