Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The taxpayers contributed to keeping your wife's clinic open. You bragged about giving out record bonuses.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    And it is the truth. The hard data speaks. I have posted it from England because they provide it. Over half of deaths as of mid 2021 were fully vaccinated. Matching the number of vaccinated no less. Now it is well over 90%. You can go find my link I have posted with the hard data if you wish. Or just ignore the hard data. Unfortunately that is likely what you will do and continue to be a part of the 15% still controlled by the propaganda….

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    The data shows why you are part of the 15% still wanting the shot. The 85% sees reality.

LOL!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The UK does have the data. And when you adjust for age, the unvaccinated are more likely to die than the vaccinated. Overall, when about 95% of the UK elderly are vaccinated, yes, more vaccinated are likely to die. But by age, per 100k, the unvaccinated die at a much higher rate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    We were shut down!

I will say I became jaded by the idiotic policies of our government. When told we were not allowed to work and care for our patients. My stance on things changed. And while the government handed out money we did not qualify for. They also handed out money we did. And we took advantage of every dollar it provided under their stupid policies/programs.

Kind of like why I own a lot of MO. People are going to smoke. I can’t control that. And it stresses the healthcare system. But at least I can enjoy an 8% yield…

6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    They have the data and I have posted it. You ignore it. Well over 90% of people dying with Covid have been fully vaccinated for a full year now. But you believe what you wish.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    you are so weirdly immune to the pt posts are making. it's like you're vaccinated against being human

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If only statisticians had figured out some way of making comparisons between groups of different sizes. Oh well.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    If only you could understand that this disease kills old people. Especially with comorbidities. Granted many old people are going to have comorbidities. Certain ones are certainly worse than others (obesity). But hey. You do what you need to do.

10. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The virus is deadlier the older you are. But in the US alone, COVID has already killed over 70,000 people under 50. Know what lowers the odds of death for all ages? The vaccine.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Hmmm, so you have a condition that can't be changed (age) and, theoretically, a treatment that might have an impact. Now, how could one examine the effectiveness of that treatment in the presence of endogenous selection and an important immutable characteristic? Well, I guess there are two ways that one could do this. To make causal inferences, one could create random control and treatment groups across age groups and measure the impact of the treatment on outcome variables of interest. To make observational conclusions, one could stratify the population by the condition (in this case, age) and then judge the impact of the treatment, given that somebody can only change their status on one of those variables.

Now, the good news is that the estimated results from the RCT and from the observational data both point the same direction: lower likelihood of death or serious disease after taking the treatment (vaccine) when the factor that you correctly state is important, age, is controlled for in the estimation. You can obfuscate as much as you want (and, given your activity here, you want to obfuscate a lot), but that signal is the same when accounting for the factor that you mention as being very important, age: lower severe disease and death rates with the vaccine treatment, regardless of age.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If only you could understand that this disease kills old people who are unvaccinated at a higher rate than old people who are vaccinated.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
  14. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
  15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I've called out duggers before. So swing and a miss.

16. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    I’m just sitting here watching bitter acrimony over how dangerous unicorns are, where they come from and the efficacy of unicorn repellent.

17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This article reminds me of many on here. Head in the sand forever!

The Mask of Ignorance | City Journal

“Wearing masks in the community probably makes little or no difference.” Such was the verdict of a recent Cochrane review, a systematic assessment of all medical research on masks. How much should one trust this overarching study? Medical journals say that Cochrane reviews are “recognized worldwide as the highest standard in evidence-based healthcare,” are the “best single source of highest-quality systematic reviews,” and are “regarded as the final word in the medical debate on a topic.” One adds, “The main reason is that Cochrane reviews follow a common and specific methodology to limit bias.” If only the same could be said about the public-health officials at the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

Specifically, Cochrane found, “Wearing masks in the community probably makes little or no difference to the outcome of influenza-like illness (ILI)/COVID-19 like illness”—or “to the outcome of laboratory-confirmed influenza/SARS-CoV-2”—“compared to not wearing masks.” Moreover, “The use of a N95/P2 respirators compared to medical/surgical masks probably makes little or no difference for the outcome . . . of laboratory-confirmed influenza infection.” Each of these claims was made with “moderate certainty,” the second highest of four certainty classifications. (“Moderate certainty” means that “the true effect is likely to be close to the estimate of the effect.”)

18. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
  19. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Not that I’ve ever seen. You have a total hard-on to harass daily anyone who supports masking or vaccinating children but you largely give a pass to the guy who doesn’t even believe in viruses because he agrees with some of your views on lockdowns and vaccines. I’d pause for a little introspection if Q & Duggers routinely liked/agreed with my posts but I guess that’s just me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I have told him the whole "virus's aren't real" routine isn't helping anyone in the discussion. Since others usually hammer him I don't feel the need to go pile on after I already stated my stance in the past.