Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    If I read that right the risk of myocarditis (mild) from vaccine is higher than myocarditis from disease (not as mild) in teen males and maybe young adult males. The risk of all cardiac complications is much higher with disease than vaccine even in teens and young adult males.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'll let it go as soon as the Vax the kids group stops advocating for it. Amazing how they can't let this go...

3. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    If I had a super healthy teen boy athlete or college aged I might have them space the first two out a bit and go easy on the boosters. With my special needs son who isn’t an athlete I’ve done all the shots and boosters, and best I can tell he hasnt gotten Covid yet (nor have I or my wife)

My 90 year old parents just got Covid for the first time. Fully vaxed with all the boosters. Taking Paxlovid now. So far so good, like a bad cold for them both.

4. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    For the record I don’t give a shit either way. Kids are low risk for covid. The vaccine is extremely low risk for everyone. I’d personally rather risk an extremely rare case of mild myocarditis for my kid than extremely rare case of severe covid. My “vaccinate your kids” posts are just messing with our resident dental receptionist turned covid expert.

• Like Like x 1
  5. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    The vaccine is extremely low risk for people it doesn’t injure or kill.

6. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The study using VAERS data. Figured that's where you were getting your misinformation from. Any study using VAERS data as gospel is fatally flawed.

“The VAERS database is a passive monitoring system maintained by the US Food and Drug Administration and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that invites the public to report any perceived or suspected side effects following vaccination, so that potential signals of harm may be investigated further. Crucially, all such reports must be validated by other active monitoring systems, as VAERS entries are very prone to reporting and recall bias.

“Indeed, the CDC explicitly states that VAERS cannot be used in isolation to infer the existence, frequency, or rates of vaccine complications.”

Greenhalgh said that although the FDA and CDC used VAERS data to generate hypothesis driven questions about effects of covid vaccines in teenagers, the agencies then investigated before concluding that these vaccines were safe.

“VAERS data dredging, as it is known, has been used by antivaccine groups in the past to produce alarmist estimates of harms from vaccines,” she said.
    Actual studies using actual, confirmed data tell a completely different story. But you go ahead and trust VAERS. Just be careful, because according to VAERS, vaccines might cause you to transform into the Incredible Hulk!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Excess deaths.

8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Let me guess. You got Covid after getting the shot?

9. HeyItsMe

HeyItsMe GC Hall of Fame

Mar 7, 2009
    They’re blocked, so I’m safely speculating this is in response to the usual suspects, lol. Q and 95 probably think Sherri Tenpenny is legit as well since she takes their side. All I’m saying is if it turns me into the Hulk or Magneto, sign my ass up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    ^ controlled opposition

11. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    It's called a breakthrough case. It's not unheard off, and often, not uncommon. My son had a mild case of chickenpox after getting vaccinated. About a 1 in 10 chance of a breakthrough case. It was mild and went away real quick. Unlike my case, 30 years prior, around the same age.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    LOL! Chickenpox is a completely different disease.

Let me guess. You and your son got Covid after taking the covid shot?

13. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Son never got COVID. Daughter did about a month after the shot. Wife and I did not. We didn't have COVID until about six months after the booster shot.

But what's the point? Breakthrough cases happen? It's true if and when vaccination rates fall below herd immunity levels. It's nothing new in medicine, and why my Mother, several years ago, had to cancel a Disneyland trip. She's immuno-compromised, and there was a measles outbreak in Anaheim. She cannot be vaccinated for measles, and a case for her would be fatal. This was 2016 or 2017, long before COVID was even a word anyone had heard.

If your point is breakthrough cases happen, duh, they do.

14. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    You put your son and daughter at risk with a shot that fails to protect them from a disease that is not dangerous to them. But you knew the point I was making. You are trying to downplay the reality these shots do not slow or stop the spread. The odds are your son has had Covid. You just did not test him for cold like symptoms. I technically have never tested positive for Covid. But I had it last May with 99% certainty based on a positive test by a family member. Weird thing was I was the last to get it and did not get it until the backend of the rest of the family. My oldest says she never had Covid. I would bet she has.

15. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    And you put your kids at a different risk by not having them vaccinated. Very small risks either way but that's what a pandemic is. There was no perfect answer.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Far less risk. They were going to get covid anyways.

17. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    No, I didn't put my kids at risk. My daughter turned 16 a few weeks after the vaccine became available, and she was vaccinated first shot a few days after her birthday. My son was in the 5-12 year-old range, and got vaccinated a few days after the shot was authorized for his age range. And according to the actual data, this provided him some extra protection.

The cumulative hospitalization rate during the Omicron-predominant period was 2.1 times as high among unvaccinated children (19.1 per 100,000 population) as among vaccinated children (9.2).
    Yes, hospitalization rates among this age group were already low. But why not make the odds even better in our favor that my kid won't end up in the hospital with COVID? As these links from the Boston Children's Hospital, the NIH, and Johns Hopkins Medical all say, the benefits of the vaccine far outweigh the risks, even in kids ages 5-12.

Vaccines aren't magic immunity shots. Vaccines often provide immunity, but they also lower risks of severe cases. The original J&J vaccine was only 67% effective in terms of immunity, but had similar numbers of keeping people out of the hospital or the morgue as the other mRNA shots. I would have been just as happy with the J&J shot as any other, even if it meant a higher chance of getting a breakthrough case, because odds are, my case even with J&J, would have been mild. Which it was, even though I have diabetes and a life-long history of asthma. The odds of me having a severe case and ending up in the hospital had I gotten COVID before being vaccinated and boostered is much higher than others in my age group.

You are the one putting people at risk with your misinformation. I've put nobody at extra risk. If I had to do it all over again, I'd still get vaccinated, and plan on getting my booster in a few weeks. And would absolutely vaccinate my kids again.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The really wild part is that he keeps posting data showing those who are vaccinated are much less likely to die than those who are unvaccinated, but is convinced that vaccination doesn't make a difference.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    wrong as always. Thanks for adding dogshit to the thread. Worse than my nothing 10 times out of 10.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    The really funny dynamic of this thread is we have 3 righties that post regularly that are each one degree farther removed from reality than the others. 95 doesn’t believe in masking, closing schools or vaccinating children but he does believe adults should take the vaccine. Then you have Q who believes everything 95 does but takes it one step farther by declaring the vaccines worthless for most/all adults. And then you have Duggers who doesn’t even believe in viruses. These three have never called each other out for the shit they spout that they don’t agree with because they are all on team R. Shit cracks me up.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1