Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Masks work in laboratory experiments. They don't work in real world setting. Wonder why? Maybe it's because, in lab settings, there are controls to ensure masks are being used properly at all times. But in our real world setting, there were zero controls, and more than half the people aren't wearing masks properly in public, it's no shock that masks failed.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Wear all the masks you want, but don't force others to do something that has been PROVEN to not work. Simple as that. Mask up sport! Love the "inherently flawed" BS. Too funny. Didn't see that coming... LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HeyItsMe

HeyItsMe GC Hall of Fame

Mar 7, 2009
    I just made the exact same point in my post. Cat, you’re one of the smartest people on these boards and always bring the receipts. Good luck getting through to these bozo, they’re hopeless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Every RCT on masks has shown there isn't a difference between wearing a mask and not masking. Not complicated. Go look it up.

5. HeyItsMe

HeyItsMe GC Hall of Fame

Mar 7, 2009
    What part of I don’t wear masks anymore did you not see, or are you that dense? If you truly cared about freedumb as the right wing loves to claim, you wouldn’t give a two craps who wears a mask or not but it sure as hell triggers you. Calm down, Nancy.

6. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, that guy is brilliant LOL. He was only wrong on Lockdowns, school closures, masks, vaxxing kids and Natural Immunity. Besides that LOL he's very smart.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Why are you triggered? I'll stop as soon as you admit masks don't work. Easy, right?

8. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Here's a questions Tilly. I wonder if these same people saying this will apologize for wanting schools closed for almost 2 years in some places when we knew in mid 2020 that schools weren't a factor in covid spread? That disaster of a decision caused millions of kids(many minorities) to fall woefully behind in school and cause a huge increase in depression and thoughts of suicide. I'm sure we will get some people to admit this, right...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I see the kids got a snow day.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Amusingly, the post I'm copying and pasting here was also a reply to you :)

We'll try it again :)

[​IMG]

The chart on the left is if the receiver is wearing a mask and the infected person is not. The chart on the right is if the infected person is wearing a mask and the receiver is not.

If someone wears a cloth mask and is exposed to someone who is infected, the mask wearer only reduces the amount of virus they are receiving by a minimal amount, less than 20%. Cloth masks aren't super effective at reducing how much virus you receive, but are better than nothing.

If the person who is infected is wearing a mask and the receiver is not masked, the viral load received is less than half of that if the spreader was not wearing a mask.

Masks are about source control. When the virus leaves the body, it is attached to droplets that are much larger than the virus, and masks are effective at stopping the virus at this point. When the virus arrives at the receiver, the droplet has evaporated and the virus is small enough that even an N95 doesn't provide complete protection. Wearing a mask is about protecting the people around the mask wearer more than it is about protecting the mask wearer.

My mask protects you, your mask protects me. I'm willing to wear a mask to avoid infecting others. Some people aren't willing to put up with that inconvenience to themselves to protect others.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I am sure you properly wore and continue to wear your N95 at home since that is the number one place this spreads. You surely care about your family most. LOL!

Masks are nothing but virtue. And I am confident that you did not properly wear them at home where the disease spreads most.

12. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Lockdowns and school closures were designed to reduce the spread of a global pandemic that was killing millions that at a time, had no vaccine or effective treatment. And according to studies like this one, or this one, closing schools did exactly as planned, lowering the rate of COVID transmission. You can argue the effect on the kids wasn't worth it, but global pandemics often force you to make choices in a no-win scenario. What do you prioritize? Kids learning or potentially saving lives by reducing the number of COVID patients?

Again, as seen above, masks work in lab settings. They don't work in real life because of user error. Just having a seatbelt in the car or owning a motorcycle helmet won't reduce severe injuries or death in accidents. They must be used properly. Masks not covering the nose or an unwashed/reused single use mask that is months old is as effective as no mask at all. When over 50% of people aren't wearing a mask properly, of course, masking is going to fail.

As for NI, I previously linked the Feb 2021 study coming from Brazil that questioned NI. By July, 2021, new studies, including the one you linked from Israel, disputed the Brazil information. Later, it was confirmed the Brazil studies significantly over-estimated the number of people with NI, and the Brazil data was flawed. I simply followed the data. Feb 2021, I thought vaccine was better than NI based on information available. I began to question this in July 2021 based on new data. By around September 2021, it became obvious that the original NI data was wrong, and that NI was superior to vaccine immunity. I was wrong, but then, so was the data. It happens, and why continued studies in attempts to repeat original results is part of the scientific method.

Concerning vaccinating kids, almost all countries say to vaccinate all kids 12 and older. Why? The data clearly shows the benefits outweigh the risks, as the vaccine lowers severe outcomes in all age groups 12 and older. Younger than 12, the data isn't as clear.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    “droplets” LOL

14. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    fauci would be so proud of you lol.

We have known masks do not work. We have known this since before the pandemic of an even smaller aerosol particle disease that showed up in late 2019 early 2020.

But you keep telling yourself this. I am sure you wore your mask at home to protect your family. I mean that is who you care most about. And that is where this disease spreads the most. And this is about them not you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I appreciate the acknowledging you were wrong on NI. But why have you to this day not called for NI to count as being protected? Instead you just harp on hybrid protection. When the science was clear that someone with NI was more protected than you with the shot before you had covid? Peoples lives were ruined by not following basic medicine and science in order to push these shots on everyone.

16. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Everything you just wrote is wrong. This isn't new data. It's quite amazing how ignorant some on here are. So you still think masks work? Holy crap this is next level crazy. This is 78 RCT's that show masks don't make any difference yet you still think they do.

https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD006207.pub6/full

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Not laughing at your core statement, but at the demur versus demure... nice catch.

18. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    The main purpose of masks is to protect the wearer from splatter. N95 from smaller particles. fauci knew this. Hence he was originally correct.

But the few idiots in public health were able to use propaganda to literally convince people that wearing a mask protects others and that is the purpose. It is fascinating that so many smart people cannot realize they were duped.

19. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    Who’s still wearing a mask when in public?

• Like Like x 1
  20. mikemcd810

mikemcd810 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Is the argument that we shouldn't be wearing masks today? If so, perfectly valid argument given where things stand now.

Is the argument that we never should have worn masks given the information at the time? I have a tougher time with that. If masks were shown to even be even partially effective then there was almost no downside besides some discomfort.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1