Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    We’ll catch Italy tomorrow in number of infected. We’re 5k behind them and had 8k more cases in the last 24 hours. As mentioned in the graphic a few pages back we are barely testing. This thing is everywhere.

[​IMG]

2. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They can either count them or not. That's a choice health officials must make. They can also put those scenarios in a different class and determine a weight (e.g. .5) when calculating the overall presumptive death count.

That being said, I'd wager these overlapping scenarios are a fraction of the true positives given the rate of increase in deaths and the uncertainty be expressed in the confidence intervals.

This is nothing new to the WHO and CDC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I brought up the point as a thinking point that possibly many of the COVID-19 deaths will be recorded as such but in actuality those in question were in all practical cases already dead from another cause. I get your point on the flu but with the flu vaccine for the elderly I'm not sure how many of them die like will die from COVID-19.

4. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. gatorstevelp

Apr 3, 2007
    Not surprising since our population is 5 1/2 times larger than theirs plus we are now testing over 65,000 people a day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. tilly

[QUOTE="gator_lawyer, post: 11762764, member: 28081
    Well, if having the virus caused a heart attack, I'd say it's properly counted.[/QUOTE]
    How would you know though? He had several. He was destined for another...and we all know the odds with each additional heart attack.

9. tilly

Which is exactly what a medical examiner would say...but we need to be a bit more nuanced than that during a time like this.

10. tilly

Hospitals "around the country" are not currently "overwhelmed" .

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. gatorstevelp

Apr 3, 2007
    But next year we can look at "the stats" for TB deaths and say, WOW, look at the substantial decline in TB deaths so we must be doing a much better job treating those individuals.

12. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    My phone went crazy and this emergency message appeared. Mecklenburg is Charlotte. In my 7 minutes I’m going to hit McDs drive through and die fat and happy.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    No heath official would jump to that conclusion.

14. gatorstevelp

Apr 3, 2007
    Like no health official would say that 3 million people are going to die in the US from COVID-19 this year?

15. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    “We are all joined together as a country, fighting an epidemic that could end up — let me say this again, based on the study that got to the White House yesterday — kill more people, kill more Americans than died in World War II, World War I, the Civil War, and Vietnam.”
    Joe Scarborough

And you wonder why the libs are hysterical over this?

16. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    You argue numbers like they reflect adequate testing. And, you support “what we are doing,” without saying what it is you Support. The decline in the exponential growth rate in New York is intended to reduce the exponent at first. Still growth, but the multiplier is lower. And it is working. Which is why the number should be lower than the projections of doing nothing. But for folks to take those numbers and then argue that we overreacted, like some are doing, is intellectually dishonest. More honest numbers are to take the curve of new cases reflecting cases before we put stay at home in place in hot spots and then project them forward. Which is nightmarish. And to acknowledge that less severe cases and those who don’t meet criteria in places are not being counted. And we have the experience of places in the rest of the world. We had something like one in 7 of the cases in their world yesterday and our growth started 2 months after China and South Korea and a month after Italy. Of course, numbers depend on testing and knowledge and we have made a decision for this country’s national policy to be to suppress number (and therefor information: Trump admitted as much on his 15 cases to zero remarks). But good policy should not rely on this debate and be made with lack of information. Trump has been, and is, lying. Right wing ignorance world ignores information and experiences from other countries and Trump is too spineless and weak to properly lead. While we criticize Fever, he gets his garbage from fake facts land and that is what is being told. Trump is the savior of those people— their Jefferson Davis— and they are driving his decision making

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    It is a reduction of the exponential multiplier following social distancing measures. Still an increase but the rate of growth slowed. Bending for growth curve. Exponential growth will happen if the virus appears, testing is limited and people walk around not knowing they are sick, and infect others. The South Korean model effectively identified and separated the sick. They are able to function economically because they made fact based decisions.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    You never answered my question about you visiting coronavirus patients in the hospital to comfort Them? It would fit with your theory about a low infection rate and you would do a really good deed? When are you going?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    rank false equivalence. try again.