Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    There’s no doubt that being healthy helps, but it doesn’t help nearly to the degree some make it out to be. 78% of Covid serious illness are overweight and obese. But 70% of the population is overweight or obese.

Science | AAAS

August in Obesity Reviews, an international team of researchers pooled data from scores of peer-reviewed papers capturing 399,000 patients. They found that people with obesity who contracted SARS-CoV-2 were 113% more likely than people of healthy weight to land in the hospital, 74% more likely to be admitted to an ICU, and 48% more likely to die.

While those are significant numbers, they are nowhere near the benefits of being vaccinated, where the unvaccinated are generally 500% to 1000% more likely to be hospitalized or die, which is dramatically higher than 113%, 74% and 48% associated with obesity.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    received_330614058934423.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    FB_IMG_1635709916531.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
  5. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
  6. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    Well. well. poster once again exhibits a complete lack of medical and statistical understanding. Looks like poster is exactly as we expected. At least it made me LOL.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    You didn't read the article, did you?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Massive Nordic study finds risk of post-vaccination myo/pericarditis resulting in hospitalization in males 16-24 of 380/million (1/2600) post pfizer-moderna combination This is 28x higher than the 13.7/million rate they found post-covid.

I've been saying for over a year now kids don't need to get the vaccine unless they have underlying conditions. Some people are too ignorant to look at the data.

SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination and Myocarditis in a Nordic Cohort Study of 23 Million Residents

9. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    At this point they need a second generation of the new drugs. And even then…like you said. Kids do not need the drug unless there is some outlier condition they have. Yet we continue to push the same drug designed for the alpha spike protein for people who don’t need it.

10. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    So others of you noticing the subtle shift from Safe and Effective to Suddenly and Unexpectedly ?

• Like Like x 1
  11. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Did you read the entire study? Or just the headlines? From the discussion:

Myocarditis after mRNA vaccination was rare in this study cohort and even among young males. The risk of myocarditis following the mRNA vaccines has been evaluated by the US Food and Drug Administration, which concluded that the benefits of vaccination outweigh the risks and fully authorized the use of mRNA-1273 in persons 18 years or older and BNT162b2 in persons 16 years or older. In addition, BNT162b2 is authorized for emergency use in children 5 years or older.20,21 The European Medicines Agency concluded that the benefits of vaccination outweigh the risks and approved mRNA-1273 for use in persons 12 years or older and BNT162b2 for those 5 years or older.22,23 In addition, a comment published by the American College of Cardiology24 evaluated vaccine-associated myocarditis risk and concluded that the benefits of vaccination outweigh the risks. As of January 2022, there have been nearly 5.8 million deaths associated with COVID-19 worldwide since the start of the pandemic.25 All currently available SARS-CoV-2 mRNA vaccines are highly effective against severe COVID-19 and provide some protection against transmission and infection.26-28
    The study did show a higher rate of myocarditis after vaccination, but they researchers agreed that the benefits of vaccination for kids 5 and older outweigh the risks, which is in line with the CDC, The European Medicines Agency, and the American College of Cardiology.

Moreover, this study only looked at occurrences of myocarditis, not severity of the disease. And studies have shown that myocarditis post COVID infection is often a more severe case than myocarditis after vaccination. Another reason why the benefits of vaccination outweigh the risks.

12. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You are making stuff up again. Congrats. I'm just happy most see you as the Covid grifter you are. You trying to discredit the largest study in the world so far. Too funny.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Literally quoting from the study is now making stuff up? Welcome to bizarro world.

Did you not recognize the quote because you didn't read the study?

14. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I read the study. AND he's wrong as are you for agreeing with him. The researchers did not AGREE that the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the risks. They didn't give an opinion. Try reading it again. Welcome to bizarro world is right.

Fact is myocarditis hospitalization was 28 times more likely than just having covid. Let that sink in.

15. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The researchers put the statements from the CDC and European agencies that the benefits of vaccination far outweigh the risks because they disagreed with them? Or, did they put those statements in just because they needed a few more paragraphs to meet some sort of length quota on their assignment? Or, maybe, those statements were put in there because the researchers of the largest study agreed with them?

I didn't discredit, or try to discredit anything. I merely pointed out that just looking at the 28X number doesn't tell the entire story. I will accept the findings of the study, which as the study states, backs up similar results of studies done in Canada, US, and others. But to use this study as a reason not to get kids vaccinated, when the study itself includes three statements stating the opposite, and nothing discrediting said statements, is poor use of research.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seems like the threat of requiring COVID vaccinations was a little over the top in retrospect, and there were/are always opt-outs for the other ones. It was the lack of opt outs that people had an issue with.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

17. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That article is from the summer of 2020. To the point about the part I marked in bold, you wonder what we've learned since then in terms of what constitutes "healthy" with respect to not getting as sick with COVID. We've all likely seen many obese folks not get as impacted with COVID, but we also know that there's a lot more to "healthy" than what one's BMI is. But there's should be an immense amount of data collected. Too bad it can't be made available for public consumption. Other known factors include age, glucose levels, diabetic status, and elevated blood pressure...are there more?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

LOL, sure you didn't try to discredit...

And people wonder why you get called out for being a vaccine grifter for kids. It's my own fault for engaging with people who are so obviously biased and ignorant on a subject. Try reading the entire article. I've said all i need to on this subject. Kids don't need to be vaccinated unless they have underlying conditions, let alone the fact a vast majority of kids already have Natural Immunity.

Here is what they say about the vaccine for young people:

Meaning The risk of myocarditis in this large cohort study was highest in young males after the second SARS-CoV-2 vaccine dose, and this risk should be balanced against the benefits of protecting against severe COVID-19 disease.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Pray tell, why did the researchers include the statement that the CDC, the European Agencies, and the American College of Cardiology, all of which stated the benefits of the vaccine outweigh the risks?

I agree, risks should be balanced against the benefits. And I agree, the risk of myocarditis does seem to be slightly higher with the vaccine. I also agree with the researchers who put in the three statements stating benefits outweigh the risks. What in the study states otherwise? Hint, I did read the entire study. And the answer is nothing.

So again, using this study to state risks outweigh benefits is a poor use of research. The paper states nothing of the sort. In fact, it gives three statements of the exact opposite, and nothing to refute said statements, meaning the researchers agree too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1