Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Very good data from the CDC MMWR this past week absolutely destroying all of the anti-science, Q-conspiracy idiocy over Myocarditis and/or Pericarditis from the mRNA vaccines vs actually getting sick. Data covers all age groups and genders. Continues to demonstrate why letting yourself "just get the flu" is a really stupid idea.

Below is the key paragraph for the group that most people point to when crying about vaccination. A risk of a 24 hour mild, self-resolving condition from the vaccine vs. issues which are lasting ~ 8 months on average from infection. Also, understanding that 2nd dose should be moved from 4 weeks out to 12 weeks for those under 18 has further reduced the incidences of myocarditis.

Cardiac Complications After SARS-CoV-2 Infection and mRNA COVID-19 ..

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Very interesting string from a Pro-Publica journalist suggesting the country’s slow response to acquiring PPE was, in part, due to greedheads, scam artists and outright fraud and little to no oversight or planning.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Are you trying to push people to keep getting jabbed for a drug designed for the alpha variant spike protein?

4. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Your lack of understand of vaccines and the human immune system are appalling. You should really just stop, or at least go become governor of Florida because he is about the only one who shows less understanding.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

That is good info, but where does the 8 months on average come from?

I havent known a person with symptoms longer than a month outside of some indirect contacts.

8 month average "issues" from infection seems a stretch to me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Some have had symptoms from nearly 2 years. The data reviewed for long COVID symptoms was a review of United Healthcare's national database.

7. tilly

I still find that hard to believe. Think of how many 2 year cases it would take to bring all the 2 week cases up to an 8 month average.

I feel there must be a caveat to that stat. Perhaps those that required hospitalization? Just seems a crazy big number based on the fact that an overwhelming majority kick it in a week or two. This also clearly leaves out the millions of asymptomatic cases I assume.

But good info and a helpful dive nonetheless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Actually, if you think about the reality of how many between 12-17 year olds have had confirmed COVID cases followed by "long COVID", the 8 month average may just be a result of statistics and a small total population. That statistic would have had more meaning if it included what percentage of 12-17 year olds actually developed long COVID. While a growing number of 12-17 year olds are contracting COVID, you almost never see statistics on the percentage who then subsequently develop long COVID.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Isnt this data specifically for cardiac conditions? Overall the cardiac complication rates are low. So the average of 8 months only applies to the small percent infected that had cardiac complications. So a small percent of people who got Covid had on average a long period of cardiac conditions. An even smaller percent of those who are vaccinated had cardiac conditions which were on average very brief.

It could be that those who have long symptoms have multiple symptoms, such that the cardiac conditions may not be obvious compared to other symptoms.

I wonder if the infected long symptom group include the incidences of POTS and Erhlos Dahnos.

The possible association between COVID-19 and postural tachycardia syndrome

Overall the area of study involving those conditions is interesting and may be expanding. They were once strictly defined, but now being looked at in a broader sense. Simplistically think of it as having an overactive fight or flight (parasympathetic) system, such as simple things like standing up cause rapid heart rates, and maybe even fainting. In some cases it may be related to people who have “loose joints” (double jointed).

Our kids have a pediatric psychiatrist who has come to believe that over the decades that many of the kids he sees that show severe mental illness and behavioral issues have a root cause in conditions like POTS and ED. It isn’t a mainstream line of thinking yet.

10. tilly

I misread perhaps. I thought ot was just based on covid cases period.

Very interesting post btw.

• Like Like x 1
  11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    don't forget about our wonderful surgeon general handpicked for his expertise in the area

12. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    I am not a medical expert and my knowledge comes from reading scientific journals. Is covid following a similar path as aids did? Aids in the 80s was super virulent and killed rather quickly. Over time it evolved to still be deadly but to have a longer time of being infected but asymptomatic. My understanding was this was because the less deadly strains had a greater chance of infecting more people. As treatments improved and the virus became less deadly. Aids is no longer a killer but something you live with. How long has Magic Johnson been positive for HIV? He still looks healthy to my eyes.

Could covid now be following a similar path? Are the newer strains less symptomatic and deadly because those strains have a more likely chance to infect more people? Just the thoughts of a layman.

• Like Like x 1
  13. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    MMWR? You know that hasn't been peer reviewed and is basically just an advertisement arm of the CDC, right? That's the issue.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. officelife

officelife Senior

Aug 11, 2017
    The Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) is a weekly epidemiologicaldigest for the United States published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It was originally established as Weekly Health Index in 1930, changing its title to Weekly Mortality Index in 1941 and Morbidity and Mortality in 1952. It acquired its current name in 1976. It is the main vehicle for publishing public health information and recommendations that have been received by the CDC from state health departments. Material published in the report is in the public domain and may be reprinted without permission. As of 2019, the journal's editor-in-chief is Charlotte Kent.

Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report - Wikipedia

Sorry ncargat1, common sense won’t help enlighten the conspiracy folks.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

The issue is an MMWR versus this study. MMWR's over the past 2 years have been nothing more than propaganda unfortunately. CDC needs to get back to science.

New follow-up study 3-8 months after myocarditis shows the MRI heart abnormality of late gadolinium enhancement seen in 63% of children.

https://www.jpeds.com/article/S0022-3476(22)00282-7/fulltext#

16. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

What does that have to do with the MMWR not posting their data nor making crap up? You want more examples? There are a bunch from Covid. But some people believe everything they read from the CDC. That's the issue. Lemmings.

Here is a good breakdown of how the MMWR stated "cloth masks work" LOL.

Mask studies reach a new scientific low point

17. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    You do understand that there are now treatments that essentially keeps the HIV at bay? Those only came about many years after the disease was discovered, I’d guess in the early 90s. Prior to that AIDS was usually a death sentence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I googled and found this.

Psychiatric Disorder in Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome-Hypermobility Type | Psychiatrist.com

It is dated 2020. I think our kids PDoc has been discussing this possibility prior to 2020. It would not shock me at all if this affects our daughter, and we had her scheduled for a cardiac eval with a guy who specializes in this ( the ones who do are rare) Then Covid hit the doctor got Covid i think and we have never been able to get her scheduled (her fault not the doctors).

A while back I asked the Pdoc how many patients have you referred to this cardiologist ? He said about 30. How many were evaluated to have some form of POTS/ED? He said all of them.

This pdoc is no slouch. Many years before he ran the pediatric psych ward for the major hospital in DFW. He is the guy many people go to once you’ve tried all the other run of the mill network psychiatrists.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    I do but the aids virus now is less deadly than it was in the 80s. Treatments have improved and the time in between contracting the virus and dieing increased.

20. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    A little off topic. My daughter has a bad case of EDS. That is why we personally go out of our way to booster and wear masks against Covid. My wife also has a lot of autoimmune disorders.

A little frustrating when my wife and daughter are put in more risk because of selfish individuals who only worry about themselves and their immediate comforts.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1