Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Telling to look in the mirror is rich coming from you.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City

3. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    You have to wonder why the rest of the world didn't listen to the GBD folk?

Perhaps because it would have likely gotten a lot more killed trying to reach herd immunity.

Heck, they couldn't even answer several basic questions such as how to isolate only the at risk when so many of them work and/or live with people who would not be isolated? And, how do you isolate people without specifically targeting their rights?

And, how do we identify those at risk beyond broad categories?

Yet here were are w/the anti-vaxxing/covid's just the flu crowd having no problem isolating others regardless of how it might infringe upon their freedom, but wouldn't dare want their own freedom disrupted in any way, lest they whine like little veruca salt.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    You dismissed a million deaths. And you dare call someone “dismissive.”

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    No. You politicized the disease. You are evil. Fauci has a long and distinguished history in the public health sector. The damage to public health has been done by liars.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  6. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    You crack me up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Just the truth wrt your post…

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic All American

May 13, 2021
    Where the heck were you the last year??? Not blaming Joe but he didn't really change much at all and if anything the ERs and ICUs were the worst ever. o_O

I think the whole Fauci debate has been overblown by both sides of the aisle. He's made some stupid mistakes and has not been completely forthcoming on some things but I don't think he's a horrible person with a nefarious agenda. He certainly understands disease states. I just wish, like I do with all of this, that this pandemic had not gotten so politicized by both sides but it was inevitable. It does not portend well for our future the next time another one comes around.

• Winner Winner x 3
  9. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I tried to give fauci the benefit of the doubt for a while. Not any more. He is one of the few that caused generational damage. I want to believe it was ignorance. But I just can’t get there now…

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    What do you believe Fauci did to cause generational damage?

11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Woof. The hypocrisy of talking about anybody else being "dismissive."

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    LOL, the 2 lawyers with poor reading comprehension.
    Try again. Hint- read the post I was responding to.

13. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    This poster blames Joe Biden for everything. If oil prices go up it is Biden's fault. If we don't sanction Russian oil, it is Biden's fault. This poster also calls Fauci evil (including in a post just above). I was responding to such extremism with sarcasm knowing he has no desire in an honest debate.

Addressing your point, a key factor is ICU/ERs. We HAD to encourage vaccinations and masking to protect our front line workers and resources. People who deny that are delusional and selfish.

I agree that this should not have been politicized but the genesis was the idiocy of "it is just a flu" and "one day it will disappear." That, along with disbanding the pandemic response team and not listening to scientist (hell, undercutting them) produced people like the poster on this board who call Doctors who have committed their lives to health care "evil." The flip side is that some states/counties kept mask mandates beyond necessity and that vaccines should not be required by governments (except for health care workers) - however, if you chose to not get vaccinated businesses/schools should be able to chose not to employ you or have you on premises.... if we are a free country.

But all the above was drowned out with noise because even the first principles of medicine - ie,how effective is the vaccine at preventing death/hospitalization (very) - was drowned out by idiots politicizing the questions. Hell, Florida's cynical governor is still opposing medicine/science by saying kids should not get vaccinated. Like he knows a damn thing about the question (or as much as the experts) and he is risking kids lives? Damn shame people listen to politicians about medicine as it produces folks like the guy on here who calls the folks literally trying to save lives "evil" and listens to politicians using this as a divisive lever.

Sending out testing kits, promoting/requiring vaccination, encouraging masking, free shots - Joe continued and emphasized all that. And, yes, Trump expedited the vaccine and has encouraged vaccinations. It all should have been a team effort the entire way.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    Canceled his kids field trip.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Daily on tv he used his status and title to peddle propaganda. With that he was one of the few voices with influence on policy. And when so much became clear he kept full speed ahead.

Lockdowns. Not pushing to get kids back in school. Masking kids. Not fighting to stop the coercion of making people take a new drug for a disease that may not be that dangerous to them. Ignoring Natural Immunity. Etc etc etc…

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Untitled.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  17. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Some of these people have sufficient education to know better. DeSantis is highly educated. His policy is driven, and supported, by people like the poster who you refer to. When that poster posts raw numbers and assets a conclusion, deeper fives into the studies and underlying data almost always come to a different conclusion. When that is pointed out to that poster, the poster shifts to the poster’s typical speeches and ignores the underlying data and conclusions. And, these are people who are smart enough to understand the data. Unfortunately, these is a segment who want to believe that they are being lied to and their freedom is being impinged by having to take a shot in the arm. And, these people message people who are less educated and also want to believe they are being lied to. Fauci is a convenient boogeyman, like anyone else who has told the truth they don’t like. Vindman. Fiona Hill. It is a long list. They rally behind the likes of Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, Steve Brannon. And, in this context, the Great Barrington doctors who pushed hers immunity when there was no prophylaxis or treatment for the virus. Meanwhile, of course, these people also ignore that this isn’t a US issue, but a worldwide issue. And they are out of step with the position of scientists and health authorities throughout the world, not just here. It isn’t Fauci and the CDC. The widespread support for these people underlies a deep national problem. Too many people convinced by propaganda.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Stop projecting. The propaganda is from you. These science is clear. The science Fauci espouses has been pushed worldwide. Too bad you don’t like it. But you have been caught so many time lying about data and the conclusions here that you calling out anyone for propaganda is laughable. That is what propagandists do. You just parrot and spread the propaganda that you hear. Or choose to spread. That is the beauty of propaganda; so many believe and spread it like gospel.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    More propaganda. Absolutely false. Fauci has been at NIH under 6 presidents and was honored by Bush II. Nice meme, but it is a lie. See how easy propaganda manipulates people. Look what it did to you.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I read what you responded to. And I stand by what I said. When you dismiss 1 million dead, you have no standing to call anyone dismissive.