Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm looking through the tables, but in case you have already seen it, do you know if they broke down the "no underlying risk factors" for ICU by age? The 5-17 group only represent less than 1/4 of the total number of children with no underlying risk factors. Also, how do the 55 children ages 5-17 with no known underlying risk factors relate to the total population of 5-17 year olds within the areas studied?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Losing your life savings and/or job are "part of life" too. Except you can get another job and/or rebuild your life savings. You can't bring a dead person back to life.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  4. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Have not seen underlying risk factors by age. And yes, overall risks are very low for kids, and yes, even lower with kids with no comorbidities. But it's not zero. And when you are talking about almost 50 million US kids aged 5 through 17, we are likely talking thousands of kids with no underlying conditions in the hospital with COVID, and hundreds dead. Almost all preventable with a simple jab that doesn't cost a cent, and only takes less than an hour, cumulative time, over the course of 2 days a few weeks apart.

5. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
  6. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    So vaccinate your kids, and don't spend your time trying convince others they should follow your logic and risk assessment.

7. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Why shouldn't I try and convince others to do what the data show is best for everyone? Shouldn't we want all kids in America to be able to grow up healthy? Shouldn't we all band together and attempt to stop preventable pediatric deaths? Or should we just be a nation of selfish people, and as long as I've got mine, to hell with everyone else?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ignore the poster, he makes up stuff and doesn't understand risk assessment whatsoever.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Are you suggest that a vaccine somehow ATTRACTS covid? Please explain your logic there.

Or, this is another case of correlation without causation. Or a non-random data set. There could be significant differences in the group that was vaccinated vs non-vaccinated (geography, population density, community infection rate, and probably a dozen others I'm not thinking of). But your automatic conclusion is: The vaccine caused this.

(Damn it, I took the bait. Again. I am literally proving the definition of insanity)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Which one of us is using links to scientific studies to back up his facts? And which one hasn't posted a single link proving there is zero risk for otherwise healthy kids? Still waiting.

11. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Because you have become nothing more then a street corner preacher claiming the end is near!!! No one cares.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    WHO is a global health body, they aren’t looking out just for the interests of U.S. citizens. Their previous concern/criticism was that “rich nations” were getting booster doses before poor nations were getting out 1st doses. Even grosser, some countries (including ours) were wasting doses.

There is probably some merit to that concern about the 3rd world under-vaccination problem, potentially increasing the likelihood of new variants. But if you are a self interested individual in one of these rich western nations, the data was pretty clear to get the 3rd dose if it’s available to you.

13. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    It's clear that you don't care. And maybe I'm tilting at windmills? But I'd assume you don't speak for everyone here. And who knows who is reading it? I lose nothing but a little of my time which I'm willing to spend to post. And really, what harm am I doing by providing information and evidence.

For example, this unfortunate story of a child dying from MIS-C in Wisconsin, which has reported 183 MIS-C cases since the start of the pandemic. Now, the vaccine didn't exist and wasn't available to kids 11-16 at first, and later 5-11 was added. But the vaccine prevents over 90% of MIS-C cases. But if the vaccine had been available all time, and all kids vaccinated, that could have prevented over 160 pediatric hospitalizations in Wisconsin alone. Can anyone explain why posted this fact is a bad thing? If you don't like it, stop reading it.

Speaking of MIS-C, we still don't know what causes it. Childhood obesity seems to be a risk factor, but otherwise healthy kids have contracted MIS-C. It sparked researchers to ask if there was perhaps a genetic factor behind some of the cause. Small study, but the results urge further research to see if large scale, it shows a similar correlation and causation.

But I know. All my links are full of lying people with agendas, right @gator95!:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  14. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Hey keep preaching most of us are drinking on Bourbon St.
    You are right about one thing. I have no idea why I keep coming back to this thread. Probably just for entertainment purposes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Some people can’t seem to grasp that when you have something new, and rapidly changing, that the “science” and recommendations can change.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    and some cannot see that the WHO,CDC, and lord god you know who speak out of both sides of their mouth, whatever in convenient that day.

17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Go look at the chart. Covid vaccine is worse for kids after 6 weeks than not being vaccinated at all. Large NY study. I've posted it before, you can go find it. Sorry it doesn't align with the vax cures all theory.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    I know when it comes to advice on pandemic matters, I'll go with buckeye every time over CDC, NIH, JAMA. etc since they change their stance with the new data, and ol' buck simply ignores it. Because....freedum.

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  19. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    at least i am consistant, not whishy-whashy, going which way the wind blows, got to court that biden group you know.

20. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It wasn't the virus that caused kids to be behind, it was our beloved CDC and the Teachers unions that caused this. Most of Europe had in person schooling in 2020 fall semester, as did most Rep states as well. I mean who could've predicted this would happen...

It’s ‘Alarming’: Children Are Severely Behind in Reading

• Winner Winner x 1