Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The Hoover Institute that gave us Elizabeth Holmes as the next big thing

2. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    How telling that some posters major concern is the temporary mostly unavoidable financial setbacks from Covid , rather than the lives of family , friends, and loved ones. Pathetic that money would be the focus.

3. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    @gatorpa, I found your comment a distraction because it unnecessarily broke the context of the hypothetical. @philnotfil's question was implicitly addressing the general population. @l_boy responded with a descriptive statistic of that same population for the full covid period. There's nothing improper in that exchange and the non-uniformity of the death rate across ages (or other factors) is not relevant in this context.

Perhaps you could have mentioned to philnotfil that the side effects vary by age. Or blood type. Or gender. Or access to health care. Or poverty level. Or morbidity. Or virus strain.

4. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    As if businesses don’t close and people don’t lose money every day. Good thing about those that lost their finances vs those that lost their lives, is money can be made back again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I advocated for the vaccine? Yes, but the way we went about it was stupid. We KNEW Natural Immunity is prevalent in most respiratory viruses, yet we didn't prioritize those who were most in danger on dying first(elderly) and we also didn't put people who recovered from covid to the back of the line. That cost the US most likely thousands of lives as did putting covid+ patients back in nursing homes. What I was and am against is vaxxing kids who are healthy and masking people when we've had 100+ years of data showing masks don't work. Don't worry, deep down I know you know i'm right and you were wrong but you are to dug in to admit you were wrong. Classic narcissism. Good job.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    You must come from or have money with your elitist attitude. There are millions that will never recover the lost income due to lockdowns and job loses. And that lost income will become magnified as they approach retirement age and stress even more a collapsing SS net.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There's likely to be a million Americans that will never recover from being dead. And millions more children deprived of the guidance of their parents. And trillions of dollars lost to our economy due to those deaths.

The ledger here is not on your side.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Actually I gave up a couple of weeks ago and put several of them on ignore. It is just pointless.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Former head of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Francis Collins, appointed as President Biden’s new science adviser on February 17, has consistently maintained that he plays a nonpartisan role in the federal government. Collins told NPR, for example, that he and his former employee, Anthony Fauci, are “not political figures,” and expressed frustration over criticism directed toward them as being driven by “a very strong political overtone.” Their COVID policy recommendations, he insists by contrast, have been based solely on scientific data.

But a leaked audio recording obtained by The Daily Wire calls Collins’ claims of political neutrality into question.

EXCLUSIVE: In Leaked Audio Former NIH Director/New Biden Science Adviser Laughs Over Threatening Unemployment to Force Vaccines, Blames Trump For Covid Deaths | The Daily Wire

10. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Very "nonpartisan" LOL.

11. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    How is that partisan?

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    i got about half way through and had no problems with anything he said.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It goes something like this:

Politician: The earth is flat.

Scientist: That’s wrong you moron. Let me expl…

Politician: What happened to “following the science”? How dare you politicize our glorious flat Mother Earth.

• Like Like x 1
  14. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    The irony in this post is unfortunately not realized. The egocentric narcissism that you care and others do not because they believe we should have handled things differently and care about the indirect and direct consequences is evident. That you understand the difficulties people have been dealing with and others don’t because they see things differently is ridiculous and evidence of your callous ignorance.

You really ought to look in the mirror.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Scientist: fewer lives would have been lost if trump followed the NSC pandemic playbook
    Partisan: you're a partisan hack for criticizing trump

I like this game.

• Winner Winner x 2
  16. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Here's another study about pediatric hospitalizations that shows there is risk, even for kids with no underlying conditions. Results from the study show 32.5% had no underlying risk factors. And those that ended up in the ICU, 18.5% had no underlying conditions. In addition, out of the 272 vaccine eligible patients in the hospital, 1 was fully vaccinated, and 4 were partially vaccinated. This study is dated Aug, 2021, so all 12 and older were eligible at the time. Anyone 11 and younger were not. For MIS-C, none of the 25 kids were vaccinated, and 32.5% diagnosed with MIS-C had no underlying conditions.

So, @gator95, or anyone for that matter, please tell me how I'm lying when I'm supporting my positions with facts from both anecdotal stories, and actual scientific studies. And how can anyone make an absolute statement that there is absolutely no risk for otherwise healthy kids when said studies and anecdotes clearly tell a different story?

The risk is low. And chances are, even if you don't vaccinate your kids, they will be fine. But that's the same argument anti-vaxxers often use against other childhood vaccines, including MMR and chicken pox. Meanwhile, the use of vaccines in all these diseases lowers the risk of hospitalization and death for all who take them. And the cost? Nothing out of pocket, and a little bit of time.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    The dead are dead. They all would have died at some point from any number of things. I will give you the children it sucks to lose a loved one. As far as trillions lost. Highly doubtful considering most deaths came from the elderly 65 and older(700,000+) whose income potential had already peaked years earlier..Probably a wash considering how much is spent on health care in that age group.(35%of all healthcare. 55+ (56%)

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Pure guesswork.

The economic impact of lives lost has been, and will continue to be, studied.

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2021.00619

"As of May 9, 2021, reductions in COVID-19 deaths associated with vaccines had translated to value of statistical life benefit ranging between $625 billion and $1.4 trillion."

If a trillion dollars were saved by the vaccines, imagine the loss due all lives not saved by vaccines.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe people don't understand how to read this chart from a huge study in NY. Any child who got the vaccine was 41% MORE likely to get covid after 6 weeks than someone who didn't get the vaccine. So the fear mongers are wrong, yet again. Basically have 3 weeks of effectiveness but when you add in the myocarditis risk it makes ZERO sense to vaccinate kids unless they have underlying conditions. Thanks for playing. Don't worry though gang, the fear patrol will ignore this and make up more lies. It's all they have.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Cases are one thing. Hospitalizations are another. I guess this study lies as it shows hospitalization rates rose with Omicron for kids under 5, and were also higher for unvaccinated kids versus vaccinated. This study that shows unvaccinated kids are at a much higher risk for MIS-C must also be full of crap too, eh?

Still waiting for an explanation how I'm lying. And a link that shows not a single, otherwise healthy kid has ever ended up in the hospital with COVID, or worse, dying from COVID would be nice too. I won't hold my breath, however, because I know it isn't coming.

• Winner Winner x 1