Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Why don't you do a visit to hospitalized coronavirus patients to bring cheer to them, tell them they are not that sick, and then isolate yourself in case you get a sniffle?

Put your confidence in the overreporting of the disease to action.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I honestly don't get the push back about your posting these types of numbers. This is a good thing. The problem early on and perhaps still--on here an outside here--was folks using other pandemics to play down this one as if it wasn't serious. These folks couldn't seem to wrap their heads around why health experts were sounding the alarm when the pandemic reached our shores and some of them did all they could to create an alternate reality.

It's now here. It is getting worse, and we are in a world of hurt for quite awhile.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Since we don't even have a ready available test that can be scaled for the nation, Easter is a unicorn dream.
    New blood tests for antibodies could show true scale of coronavirus pandemic | Science | AAAS

U.S. companies, labs rush to produce blood test for coronavirus immunity

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    That's only bolstering my point.

5. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Tell that to someone in the ICU coming off a ventilator who was at 40% pulse ox.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The Netherlands are starting blood testing next week and are shooting for 7,000 blood tests a day there. You also have to work around the possibility that your immunity to the virus may be limited to a couple of months. Hopefully the meds are somewhat of a solution.

7. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    We both want the same thing.
    Just pointing out that we are just starting a clinical trial here in the states per one of the articles. That will take time to do and go over the results. The a producer has to begin mass scaled production, again weeks. No way any mass scaled test will be ready for Easter, let alone having test done and results back to allow people to go back to work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatorstevelp

Apr 3, 2007
    They don't want to BUT WILL to save their business if they believe there is a workaround that looks viable. Who is to say they got sick at work vs their personal time. There are measures that many companies can take to protect their employees from being infected at work.

9. gatorstevelp

Apr 3, 2007
    I am not disagreeing.....just hoping

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Watching a round table on CNBC
    Mark Cuban said it best. No company wants to be the first company to send their people back to work because if someone gets sick, you will always be known as THAT company by your potential customers.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Dr Scott Gottlieb just said the problem with the tests is we don't have enough plastic components to make the tests. We have the chemicals not the containers.

13. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Because this is a vague number. Many recoveries aren't documented, because many of those who self isolate and recover are never officially tested, they just eventually meet the time parameters to move forward. Deaths are absolutes.
    An overwhelming majority of positive tests (90%?) simply have not hit the timetable for a clear bill yet.

I am not pushing back as much as countering that the number is not telling us anything in the big picture.
    Yes every loss is tragic. Every hurt is real, but when looking at the meaningful numbers, this one is sort of far down on the list imo.

I respect 96 as a poster, and understand his reasoning for posting it. I just think it needs to be countered.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!:eek::D

Making many assumptions by me, I believed the closed cases are hospitalized people. Not the ones sent home or who self isolated.
    To me these numbers are the serious cases and as I agree that a longer time line is needed, I think it shows the globe is still in the early stage of this virus.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    The best thing we should do for the economy is ramp up an antibody test so we can identify people who have been exposed and were either asymptomatic or mild and fully recovered. These people would have presumed immunity, and could safely be on the front lines for reopening businesses. In a month, the number of people in this category could be significant...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. gatorstevelp

Apr 3, 2007
    But how will you know they got sick at work is my question?

17. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I posted earlier we don't have one. There is a company that is just starting a clinical trial, no mention on how long that will be and how they will ramp up. Could take months just to get one to the masses.

18. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So is mine.....any day now.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Southern states face spike in coronavirus cases

The coronavirus is spreading rapidly in the South, and hospitals are becoming overwhelmed. Louisiana, Florida and Georgia are facing alarming spikes, with more than 4,700 cases and 125 deaths in those states alone.

There are more cases in the New Orleans area than there are in Los Angeles County — and Los Angeles County is 25 times larger. In just over two weeks, the number of cases in Louisiana has skyrocketed to almost 1,800.

================

Evidence that social distancing-- not total population -- is the factor that contributes to fewer cases of COVID-19

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Give it a week or two and my not-a-conspiracy theory that Ted Cruz was the shooter on the grassy knoll will be proven! I know his age may make it seem impossible, but he's a lizard person, which age slower than humans. He was really born in 1925.

• Funny Funny x 2