Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Fights better than what? The vaccine is far more effective at preventing serious Covid Illness than a healthy lifestyle. It isn’t even close.

Being overweight or obese increases your risk in the range of 20-50%. Being unvaccinated increases your risk of serious illness something like 900%.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Poison may not be the best word to use but the mRNA drugs are designed to put your immune system to work. They create an immune response. Your body would do this unless you create the reason for it to create the antibodies to fight the alpha variant spike protein. This is why some get the fevers they do.

If one thinks that is worthwhile for the potential therapeutic response if they get Covid healthy or unhealthy. Then by all means. But to coerce people to force their body into action when they are at little to no risk is just not how to approach this. If we had a drug that actually worked to stop and slow the spread like the Measles vaccine then we would see a lot more people getting the jab. But here we are pushing a drug that did nothing with omicron and little with delta. Yet we still are pushing it.

I can’t remember which year it was (2012/2013?) was the best flu shot year. Maybe we should just go back and only give it? That is the kind of argument to be made if we are going to compare measles and Covid. But that would be dumb. Just like comparing measles and Covid.

3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Than vaccines? Healthy lifestyles sure don't fight it better than vaccines (a common component of a healthy lifestyle, BTW). Show me a study that says you have a 41x chance of dying with any pre-existing condition? You do if you are unvaccinated.

You hold Q to a lower standard than anybody else here, because you are specifically ignoring the misinformation parts of his post to try to claim they don't exist (i.e., that "maybe" the drugs have a small therapeutic effect but that they don't stop the spread, when they indeed slow it (a point that he, nor you directly to him, will acknowledge)). I mean, you are defending a person who just said that vaccines make your body create a poison and you didn't address that at all. You are so focused on defending the trees behind you that you are telling people not to try to put out the forest fire that you are ignoring because they might trample the roots.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 5
  4. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Your entire thesis has been that getting people healthy is the best way to fight the covid pandemic.Thing is, public health officials do recommend healthy lifestyles as a matter of course because this contributes to a living a longer, healthier life. But it's not and never was going to be a strategy to fight the pandemic spread of covid. Your ego won't let you accept this fact, but it's what hamstrings you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Overweight and obesity as risk factors for COVID-19-associated hospitalisations and death: systematic review and meta-analysis

To summarize - increases risk (which are higher than what I posted above but still well below risk of being unvaccinated. )

Being overweight - hospitalization - 20%
    Being overweight - death - approx zero
    Being obese - hospitalization - 72%
    Being obese - death - 25%
    Severe obesity - hospitalization - 150%
    Severe obesity - death - 76%

Results A total of 208 studies with 3 550 997 participants from over 32 countries were included in this meta-analysis. Being overweight was associated with an increased risk of COVID-19-related hospitalisations (OR 1.19, 95% CI 1.12 to 1.28, n=21 studies), but not death (OR 1.02, 95% CI 0.92 to 1.13, n=21). However, patients with obesity were at increased risk of both COVID-19-related hospitalisations (OR 1.72, 95% CI 1.62 to 1.84, n=58) and death (OR 1.25, 95% CI 1.19 to 1.32, n=77). Similarly, patients with extreme obesity were at increased risk of COVID-19-related hospitalisations (OR 2.53, 95% CI 1.67 to 3.84, n=12) and death (OR 2.06, 95% CI 1.76 to 3.00, n=19).

Now compare vaccinated vs unvaccinated

Unvaccinated 14 Times More Likely to Die From COVID

In this case unvaccinated increase risk was 1400%. I’ve seen numbers as low as 700% if you look at omicron, and it varies but they are all well higher than protection afforded even against extreme obesity.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    A fully vaccinated elderly or obese person will be at far more risk than a young healthy person. The gradient of risk in Covid is massive.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    It is the number one way to fight all diseases. Therapeutics and drugs can also be used. But with Covid…we have drugs that have failed to stop or slow it. Therefore the number one way to avoid a severe outcome from a disease like this is to be healthy. Even the fauc recognized this with Rubenstein in late 2019…

8. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    @tilly What kind of marketing would you suggest for those who are incapable of recognizing that the vaccines result in much reduced risk of infection, hospitalization, and death?

9. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Better than being unhealthy. Thats what the comparison is.

10. tilly

Above my pay grade, but "oh well none of the 'stupid' people will change their minds" ain't it.

Perhaps we could start by not making them all out to be "stupid"..."unpatriotic" ...or "granny killers"...or any of the other ridiculous things people say.

I mean dont you think the small % of people who could be swayed are worth a new strategy or no?

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. tilly

Did I even for a moment insinuate it fought it better than the vaccine. But it sure helps it opposed to being unhealthy.

12. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't think "stupid"..."unpatriotic" ...or "granny killers" are what anyone led with. I think those were the result of months of obtuseness.

13. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    You are really doubling down on this irrelevant strawman. You’ve found a way to blame Biden but absolve responsibility to all of your former buddies.

So why would this marketing plan work, for it to work the source has to be trusted. The only sources that are trusted are

1. Anti vaxers, who obviously aren’t going to shill for the vaccine
    2. People who got the vaccine, but don’t actively advocate for it, because to do so too blatantly risks diminishing the trust of of that audience.

So why hasn’t Ron Desantis forcefully advocated for the vaccine? Or Greg Abbott? Or Donald Trump? Because to do so risks their popularity with their following.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011

This is priceless : " So let’s not try and compare different diseases. With different risk gradients. With different drugs (one works well the other does not work well)." Coming from the poster that wkeeps throwing Gibraltar, and England with massive differences. OMG . It is borderline psycho that this poster continues "And they actually work when it come to stopping/limiting the spread. " in the face of the repeated data proving that statement as false.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    In the portion of that interview you're referring to, Fauci was talking generally--not about fighting a pandemic, which is the difference.

Like I wrote earlier, public health experts preach good health generally as part of public health practices, but an acute pandemic spread of a highly contagious infectious disease requires a different approach, with vaccines at the forefront.

I should mention that despite the wrong-headed strategy offered by the Great Barrington Declaration, their strategy was about getting to the point that we had vaccines. You seemed to miss this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. obgator

obgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

“Scientists have solid, physical evidence indicating the COVID pandemic began at a seafood market in Wuhan, China. Data suggest the virus jumped from an animal at the market into people at least twice.”

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. tilly

So that makes it OK? And again, its a faulty assumption.

18. tilly

Dude. I like you man, but your looking foolish here. My former buddies?

I literally ripped Trump to shreds two years ago for his virus approach. It was a huge catalyst to me finally bailing on him and registering independent.

What are you even talking about here?
    Had I praised Trump and then ripped Biden you would have a point, but i did no such thing. Not even close.

I have been MUCH harder on Trump on these boards for the past couple years than I ever was to Obama or Biden.

Probably because I was so disappointed in how he represents my side of the aisle.

But seriously your a mile off base here my friend.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    That's message board banter, not messaging from public health officials. Do you acknowledge that there's a difference?

20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    You are defending the point of the guy who often has (and isn't saying this because he has a plan for getting everybody healthy but because he wants to speak against the vaccines) and who is specifically stating the point as a counter-point to the notion that people should be vaccinated.

You have to go really obtuse to not notice all the anti-vaxxer stuff in his posts on this thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1