Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    walensky worse than fauci, not a chance .

2. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011

"Medicine is complicated. Some people take a more holistic approach. And when the day shows that a healthy person is at little to no risk…trying to force and coerce them to take a new drug that does have side effects is terrible public health policy."

You have been shown many times your statement about side effects is specious. Therefore it comes down to a political "freedum" for you. PUBLIC health is charged with the protection of EVERYONE. not simply the healthy or young, or low- risk.

"I would give the shut up and get jabbed more ear if these drugs were close to what they were sold as. But we witnessed how they did not stop/slow the spread and that the people taking them absolutely were spreaders of the disease."

Again, time after time you use this nonsense strawman using misinfo/lies..... rebuked repeatedly.

"It is kind of like the idiotic mask stuff. If you shut up and get jabbed…you don’t need to where a mask. Then we watch the jabbed get the disease and spread it. Yet many kept the moronic policy. That kind of thing adds to why so many do not trust these public health officials.

You put irrational policies out there and you are going to lose people." Great you won, your self-fullfilling hope was that so many anti-vaxers would not give us herd immunity. Thus variants. Again ..... good job, idiots.

Again....how do obtain this wonderful " cure" you keep posting about.. Natural immunity. I and about 900K others want to know?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    It was a four-year long shitshow vs a single well-founded comment. Simply not like things by any stretch.

4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

What about the NOT stupid people?

What about the single mom believing her nurse friend on facebook but too tired and busy to do deep dives?

What about the older couple scared because their antivax son sent them some scary stuff on facebook.

We have to stop squeezing everyone into the same mold here.

5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    So much so that 90% of their constituents were vaccinated?

6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    You are basically making the case for Facebook and Twitter’s internal effort to quash viral misinformation. They aren’t going to “correct” every soccer mom, they can only go after it algorithmically. The bots and troll farms that kick this stuff off into the realm of soccer moms.

The government itself cannot do much at all in that regard, practically nothing. 1st amendment applies so the govt is limited as to what it can do, except perhaps increase public health ads to go directly where the misinformation is (I’ve seen televised ads, no idea how effective that is in general, I’m guessing not very).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Although you didn't intend it, tilly, your comment is an argument about what public health leaders and other health experts are up against, but multiplied by 10s of millions of people virally spreading bad info through political channels and social media, memefied.

I see @BLING beat me too it :)

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    The number one way to fight an infectious disease like covid is to live a healthy lifestyle. From there people can decide whether putting their body to work for a potential small therapeutic benefit is worth it to them. This disease is not a disease that requires a new drug for everyone. If you want to take it. By all means.

If you are insinuating there is a cure for this disease then you have no clue about this disease or medicine. There is not a cure. There are therapeutics to treat it if you get it and drugs to take that can potentially provide a therapeutic response if you are in a high risk group and feel it is necessary or you have been scared by the propaganda and want to take the drugs. These drugs have not stopped or slowed Covid. The data has shown that the most cases have occurred regardless of these drugs.

So I am not sure if you are insinuating that these drugs are a "cure" or not. But if you are...you have not idea what you are talking about.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    What about the young healthy person who is fully capable of taking the disease seriously without forcing their body to create a poison in their body to fight for marginal benefit if any?

What about the person who had Covid and has better protection than those who just have the new drugs.

There is no one right answer.

And I know you get this tilly. Just adding on to your list...

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Really? So if kids just got into shape, they wouldn't need a measles vaccine?

Your ideas are not grounded in the epidemiology of disease and certainly not in the pandemic spread of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. tilly

To be clear, I am not talking about censorship. I am talking about fresher relevant voices and strategies to combat misinformation, not censoring it.

12. tilly

He said diseases LIKE covid. In fairness Measles and Covid are different. We know that covid preys on those with less healthy lifestyles.

13. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    We can't prevent infectious disease simply by being healthy. That's not how it works. Being healthy can help people avoid being really sick or dying, not stop them from getting or spreading it. And we sure as heck can't all of a sudden get 100s of millions of people healthy in the middle of a pandemic. That's just fanciful thinking untethered from the reality of human life.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    A poison? You cannot be serious. The vaccine contains organic compounds that all leave the body within hours of injection. The body's response is a natural, immune response. The same response the body goes through if/when infected by the actual virus. That's because the virus contains the same mRNA strand that provokes the immune response. No poison involved.

If you want to play your odds, you're welcome to. But all information shows vaccinated people are less likely to get infected, less likely to need hospitalization, and less likely to die. Public health states the vaccine is the best way to fight this disease.

15. tilly

He didnt say prevent it. He said it helps FIGHT it. That's true.

16. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Go read his many comments about health and obesity. He's not simply saying "it helps" He has made it the centerpiece of his argument against vaccines. It's simple, getting people healthy in the middle of a pandemic is not a strategy experts would put forward to fight covid bc:

1) it's an impossibility
    2) it does nothing for prevention

At best promoting healthy lifestyles is what public health experts would encourage generally because maintaining good health is a benefit.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    You know what else fights it? Vaccines, which he derisively dismisses. In fact, more successfully, especially given that many pre-existing conditions are not caused by unhealthy living.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. tilly

Ok?

None of that discounts the point that healthy lifestyles fight this thing better.

But Q could say water is wet at this point and some of you would say, "He's anti vax! Water must be dry!"

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I don’t know whether this is worth responding to or not.

Measles is a completely different disease. The gradient of risk is completely different. The drugs created to fight it have decades of work behind them. And they actually work when it come to stopping/limiting the spread.

So let’s not try and compare different diseases. With different risk gradients. With different drugs (one works well the other does not work well).

20. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    If I said don’t jump…they would jump LOL!

• Funny Funny x 1