Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Do you really want to go over some of Trump's greatest COVID hits again? These are just paraphrases, off the top of my head

It's only 15 cases, soon will be down to zero.
    One day, it will just magically disappear.
    Suppose we hit the virus with a very powerful light, or UV light, and brought the light inside the body.
    A disinfectant knocks it out in a minute. Can we find way for injection or a cleansing.

Trump wouldn't pull a vaccine out of where he wanted to put UV light to stop the virus, but it's not so ludicrous that Trump may have made a statement or two regarding a vaccine that one way or another, may have been very damaging. The man was capable of saying just about everything and anything.

2. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic All American

May 13, 2021
    You’ve got it bad, dude. Reeeeeeal bad.

He was working with the major manufacturers from the start. Harris and the Democrats knew it yet created doubt in them by saying they wouldn’t trust anything Trump promoted. Whatever fairy tale you make up in your head matters not. Harris and Dems STILL created doubt about the actual vaccines we have.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The man doesn’t actually “work with” anybody in a normal sense.

4. slightlyskeptic

May 13, 2021
    Yet he promoted the very vaccines we have that work from the start. The same vaccines that Harris and some Democrats knew about when they created doubt in the minds of people. This isn’t a Trump vs anyone debate. It’s a statement of fact no matter how inconvenient. Creating excuses and caveats doesn’t change the outcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Trump and everyone was fortunate that the vaccines worked from the start. Harris was imagining a world where the first vaccines didn't work that well, and Trump still was touting them because, well, he's Trump. Harris made a mistake in the way she said what she said, which was she didn't trust Trump. And with good reason. She should have just said that.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I agree many and most wont be changed but when dealing with human lives, what is the number that makes the effort worth it?

Coke doesnt run the same ad day after day. They change campaigns, and for what, a >1% metric shift in the best case scenario? Most Pepsi drinkers wont switch to coke, but a few will try the latest coke flavor or offshoot and that small number equals millions of $$$.

I see this similarly. Change direction and maybe shift the narrative 1 or 2 %. Thats 1000's of lives.

Marketing at the highest levels moves very small percentages but is still well worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Except he really didn’t. Guy literally hid the fact he was vaccinated “from the start”.

Although lately he has come out a few times, including to say he was boosted and everything, to which he has received boo’s. Trump spread plenty of misinformation the whole way, I can’t honestly say he spread vaccine misinformation per se, but he wasn’t exactly helpful (and many of his acolytes do actively throw anti-vaxx stuff in there with the rest of their nonsense).

8. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    You are throwing me in with a lot of others here. Basically it still comes down to #1, #2 or #3 above. I’m just trying to understand the argument, but you keep circling back to partisan memes, evil hateful democrats, progressives blah blah. I don’t have a dog in the fight nor get any particular satisfaction of whether unvaxed Covid deaths are Republican or Democrat.

9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
  10. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Trump's contemptible daily whirlwind of lies and bullshit earned the distrust in spades. And his bs was orders of magnitude different than the single & accurate criticism implied in Harris' comment. Nothing more than you trying to defend your team, but you have to abandon a sober look of reality to get there. And hells bells, Trump likely got a bunch of MAGAs killed. People you no doubt had to treat.

Case in point:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  11. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Im not blaming the govt for not changing minds. I am blaming them for not evolving. They have maxed out what they can squeeze from one orange. Why not see if the next orange has some juice?

Most people dont completely distrust "government" but they do mistrust specific members it.

As for churches involvement, I remember Franklin Graham telling people a year ago that Jesus would want people to get vaxed, outside of some fringe church groups I am not aware of any real pushback by the churches themselves.

Let me ask you this. Should the government just throw up there hands and make no effort to change the voice a little bit?

12. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    harris has made so many mistakes it is hard to know which is which these days....

13. slightlyskeptic

May 13, 2021
    Then all we’re doing is arguing past each other. I haven’t denied that a lot of dead unvaxxed people are Republican anti vaxxers. I’ve pointed out that a lot of anti vaxxers who died were not Republicans. You never danced on graves. I wasn’t suggesting you did but rather gave that as my reasoning for saying what I’m saying.

14. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Well 9% of the population is still 30 million, and probably 10 million or so in higher risk categories. Even a small percent of that can fill up hospitals.

15. slightlyskeptic

May 13, 2021
    You can say all you want about Trump and the dumb stuff he says. I’m on record saying the whole thing has been a shit show on several levels from the start and Trump was a big part of that. But no matter what he says it didn’t change the fact that it was stupid and counter productive of Harris and company to discount any vaccine just because it came out while Trump was president. Following that “logic” if Trump were re-elected we should still be wary of any COVID remedies just because Trump. And of course the same line of reasoning assumes that tens of thousands of healthcare professionals and government agencies would have to blindly follow his lead.

16. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    You should consider that most drugs do not fall into the vaccine category. Then consider that most of the drugs are tested by the manuf. before going before FDA. Also consider that most drugs have side effects. The FDA recalls the marority of drugs, not because of the already known side effects, but from the side effect/ medical benefits aspect. If ther isn't a clear tilt towards the med. efficacy, and it performs better than existing drugs they'll pull it.

17. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    That's true, but then he has nothing to add to his post count. :rolleyes:

18. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    They worked on some and not others. Disgusting violation of the principles this Country was founded on.

We dumped on the Constitution to coerce a small group of people to take a drug they did not want and many of them ended up with the virus anyways. And you wonder why people do not trust our idiot public health officials?!?!? Coerce people to do something that does not even work.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Not sure which resources you are referring to, but there most certainly have been loads of resources thrown at this thing.
    On TV. You must have missed them.
    This happened too, though perhaps they could have done a better PR job (Walensky was no better than Fauci and probably much worse.
    That's some pie-in-the-sky thinking there, tilly. Nothing short of brainwashing or psychotropic drugs would have cured the illness of disinformation in this country. Stupid people relied on stupid sources and ate the junk up. Putting a different face out there really wasn't going to make any difference (even though they tried).

20. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    You are really reaching on this one to find a whatabout. Yeah what Harris said was stupid but it wasn’t an antivax statement it was a statement by an unseasoned politician who is incapable of thinking on her feet. Nobody thought anything of it until we started seeing it as a whatabout excuse for Trump and friends.