Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Didn't help, but Harris' statement was she would not trust Trump alone. And credible information about the vaccine would have to come from credible sources.

And most communicable diseases aren't life threatening to the majority of people. If they were, we'd all be dead by now! But nothing in the past century has been as deadly a virus as COVID. The bottom line is the vaccine saves lives. All evidence points to this.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh! I see. "Shut up and get vaccinated" is from a tee shirt. Makes total sense now. :rolleyes:

3. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    That really isn’t what they said. Considering Trumps crazed lying throughout the course of the pandemic, I thought it was entirely possible they’d put out a non-functional vaccine right before the election. Announced by Trump himself of course! There is absolutely no doubt the madman wanted that triumphant moment for political reasons, and he wanted it regardless of the true numbers. Because this triumph was superficially denied their lord god, I think it is now part of the psychosis of some of these Republican anti-vaxxers (the ones that probably would have been vaccinated otherwise).

Of course what the companies and medical journals were saying was always going to be important too. So really what people needed to watch for was “scientific consensus”, anything from the WH podium of the Trump admin would be in doubt if it wasn’t backed by a broader consensus. Of course that’s always the case, it’s just that you don’t typically see a White House try to peddle such obvious Baghdad Bob nonsense as that one constantly did, right up to its end.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I hope you dont run a company... or worse, a marketing company. There is always a message that will get through. Truth is it's a cop out to say there isnt. Our government may be the absolute worst at messaging of any entity in this country.
    (Just listen to the stupid governments anti drug messaging and how cheesy and out of touch it is.)

5. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    So are you saying the 9% Democrats with no vaccinations is an incorrect number? It really comes down to this

1. Believe the 9% Democrats number as reality
    2. Believe your anecdotal hospital observations as representative of reality across the country
    3 Believe both, and assume there is some reason Democrat unvaccinated are 3-4 times more to end up in the hospital vs unvaccinated Republicans

6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Such an ignorant post.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

The problem from the start is you are believing those numbers. When you start with faulty data then you will make asinine conclusions.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    The shut up and get jabbed crowd has been loud and proud on too hot. Sadly they are not helping to achieve what they believe is best. If only they would accept people can make decisions that are different than theirs and be right. Just like they can be right in the decision they made. But so many are vitriolic towards those who get to a different answer.

We just saw the response to me before yours ignorantly equate those who came to a decision to wait on taking these new drugs as not caring about people dying. And calling them selfish. That is the shut up and get jabbed mentality that has done so much damage to public health.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    ???

10. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    It's interesting how you keep apologizing for the anti vaxers and blame it on the government to come up with some magical message that will get through.

You hold govt responsible, but you don't hold republican politicians responsible, at a federal or state level, you don't hold religious institutions responsible or right wing media sources responsible or any other right leaning institution responsible. Surely those institutions could have had influence? Why didn't they? Because they knew it was a fools errand and they didn't want to blow their influence on something that would be rejected. But somehow it's the Democratic lead federal govt who could have gotten through.

Dude, you are living in lala land.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  11. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I think bling covers a bit of what I would have written, but if I am more critical of the right, it's because people with power and infuence have done a great deal more damage spreading their bad ideas, affecting tens of millions of people. I also don't mention this simply to bash the right. I'd rather not. But I see the effects in my own family and friends, on here, and across social media. And I believe you do too as I know you are adroit enough see this much more objectively. Bottom line, it's not blacks and Hispanics driving this crazy train.

FWIW, one example from this weekend among:

A neighbor who had just watched the below instagram influencer with 43.7k followers where this woman rants about Gov Newsom's decision to monitor wastewater in CA for covid. This mind you is a cool way and something being done across the country, including now the CDC setting up a new dashboard. Yet, here we are with batshit angry conspiracy that they'll use it to quarantine people.

Point is, it's this type of toxic lunacy is what we can widespread polluting all over social media and it has not just been dangerous, but deadly.

Instagram Video:

My neighbor's response:
    My neighbor is also an outspoken anti-vaxxer.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Just shows how absurdly easy it is to manipulate certain people.

I’m sure we all can get led on a bit by sensational stories, but your example shows complete irrational lunacy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Sure he has. But up against countless people, including pols and media and who knows how many influencers on social media who have created an alternate reality. And let's face it, this started from the very outset with a cascade of lies come from you know who.

Fauci, Birx, even the CDC, basically individuals per se up against this massive toxic viral spread of mis & disinfo.

We've had two pandemics: Covid and a pandemic of mis & disinfo. The consequences have been tragic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I dont hold right wing politicians responsible? I literally listed it on this site as one of the big turning points that made me NOT vote for Trump. How much more accountable can I hold him?

I dont hold right wing media reasonable? I call out Fox all the time. I disagree with anti vax posters here all the time, and have posted rebuttals to their fringe sites many times.

I dont hold religious institutions accountable? What does that even mean?
    My large church hasnt spoken against masks or vaccines. Is that a big thing in pulpits that you are aware of? My own dad, a Trump voting pastor was vaccinated 6 months before me. And thinks Trump failed in handling Covid.

What are you even talking about. I have called out the right for 2 years on this, but no one who has ever headed any part of marketing gives up when the message is hard yo get it. They keep trying.

I spent a year ripping Trumps response and even defending Fauci, but we are a year into Biden and he hasnt changed much of anything yo get a fresh message out. And defending that is just political.

15. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Yup and that's just one example. I can find countless ones among family and friends, including some of them bringing their crazy to my fb page when I've posted evidence of this or that related to covid. And of course, there's no shortage on this thread and other covid threads. I've spent two years at odds with my father and other family who bought into all the conspiracies and bad info.

When the history of this pandemic gets written, the spread of mis & disinfo will be front and center. It can't not. It's a defining feature.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I don't run a company, but do have worked in Marketing for the past two decades. Some people are just so brand loyal that if you aren't the brand they want, no amount of messaging will reach these people. Trying to reach these people with your message is akin to flushing money down the toilet. And to many C-levels think all money marketing spends is flushing it down the toilet, so when there's a group you just aren't going to reach, don't spend the money trying to do the impossible.

There was a large minority hesitation at first here in Arizona. Largely Hispanic, but also African American. The state found prominent minority politicians and medical professionals to do local outreach. The state went straight to the neighborhoods and opened up pop-up vaccination sites at local schools, churches, and community areas like parks. It was effective. But these people were receptive to listening to the message, and responded.

When Trump himself suggests a crowd to get vaccinated, and he receives nothing but boos, ask yourself, what message and from what messenger might actually get through to the crowd and be effective? Maybe if Trump did a joint message with Obama, W. and even Hillary, and all four encouraged people to get the vaccine, maybe, just maybe that would move the needle closer to people's arms? Maybe not. But do you see Trump sharing a stage with anyone?

They say politics make strange bedfellows, and this the vaccine is a case of this. The whacky, anti-vax fringe left was unlikely to get vaccinated. Minorities were always going to be hesitant given their history. But the far, pro-Trump right is leading the anti-COVID vaccine crowd numbers, and by a large margin. These Trumpers aren't going to listen to Trump, they aren't going to listen to anyone. The only thing that as working, vaccine mandates, was ruled unconstitutional. So honestly, where does this leave us?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    What is your boogieman idea about the "new drug"? It was tested, has proven to be quite safe, is highly effective at keeping people alive and out of the hospital, but it's "new" and so in the face of a pandemic, when you have nothing else other than other "new" drugs or some idiot remedies ( parasitics, HCQ, bleach),you'll claim that the issues is messaging. Now there's real ignorance. BTW You have still failed to explain how we all get access to your other wonder "cure" natural immunity. I'll wait.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  18. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I'm not talking about just Trump. I am just puzzled as to how you as a conservative leaning voter are blaming the government for not convincing people to change their minds. It goes against notions of individual accountability and also depending on govt.

I'm not saying churches are necessarily anti vax. But why aren't they taking a bigger role in trying to sway antivaxers? Same with right wing media. Hell even personal physicians? From what I have seen and heard anecdotally a lot of primary physicians aren't trying very hard. I'd assume because they think it is a dead end and a waste of time.

Your argument that the government should be better at marketing to people who distrust it or even hate it is truly baffling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    LOL, yeah drugs never get recalled and discontinued. :rolleyes:

20. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic All American

May 13, 2021
    So you admit that she did it yet gave me a disagree emoji. Lol

You also are making an excuse for her doing it. There is none.

• Winner Winner x 1