Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Yeah thats ridiculous. Where in NY are you?

2. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting NYT article on the Russian Flu. Was it also a coronavirus? Researchers are investigating.

"In May 1889, people living in Bukhara, a city that was then part of the Russian Empire, began sickening and dying. The respiratory virus that killed them became known as the Russian flu. It swept the world, overwhelming hospitals and killing the old with special ferocity.

Schools and factories were forced to close because so many students and workers were sick. Some of the infected described an odd symptom: a loss of smell and taste. And some of those who recovered reported a lingering exhaustion.

The Russian flu finally ended a few years later, after at least three waves of infection.

Its patterns of infection and symptoms have led some virologists and historians of medicine to now wonder: Might the Russian flu actually have been a pandemic driven by a coronavirus? And could its course give us clues about how our pandemic will play out and wind down?"

Here's the full article. Unfortunately, it's behind their paywall.

An Undiscovered Coronavirus? The Mystery of the ‘Russian Flu’

• Informative Informative x 4
  3. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Nice red herring. You can use your example in place of the Super Bowl as well in that question.

It is kind of an interesting question. How many of the mask mask mask crowd still proudly virtue signals in public…

I do think a good proportion of those still masking have been scared by the propaganda. But many were just participating in the political theater and virtue signaling.

4. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    You definitely have a stalker.

I bet you'd wreck his pathetic existence something fierce, if you put him on ignore.

What would he do with his time...

LOL!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    It's absolutely horrible what we've permitted to be done to our youth...

(I refrain from elaborating on the point, in the interest of civility. But at the expense of truth an the interest of justice. The latter 2 must suffer along with our kids, for the former).

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    yes that was an odd response.

7. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I don’t think they are highly effective at the moment and have said as such. It is very plausible that the answer was different for the initial Covid vs omicron which is much more transmissible.

8. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They are all airborne respiratory virus's(every variant). Let's just all admit masks did nothing. It was known before covid that masks didn't work. Somehow people disregarded science once covid came. Close schools? 6 feet? Mask walking into restaurants but ok to take off once sitting? Mask kids? All of these things and countless other "protections" were just throwing shit against the wall and seeing if it worked. It's amazing some still defend masking with all the evidence available. It's a cult unfortunately. Some are too stubborn to admit it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh, and when people say the 900K covid deaths are garbage numbers, here is example number 1,044. Nothing like 1,200 "covid deaths" from falls. Until we can get accurate accounting, I'm not believing our reported numbers. Of course a significant number of people died, but not the numbers they are using. Keep pushing to vax everyone over 18 who hasn't had covid already. Move on with life. No masks anywhere.

I mean who knew Covid caused everyone to fall and die?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  10. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Monthly excess deaths since 2017 as reported by the CDC.

Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19

Option cheatsheet for the deniers:

Option 1 - challenge the credibility to the CDC
    Option 2 - challenge the methodology
    Option 3 - misinterpret the results
    Option 4 - blame Biden
    Option 5 - change the subject

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Masks can help, but only under certain conditions. These include:
    • Everyone wears one
    • Everyone wears it correctly (no chin straps and must cover nose)
    • Everyone changes mask regularly and doesn't wear a dirty one or the same mask consecutively for days
    • Exposure to other people is short term
    Remember, masks do not prevent you from getting infected. It helps slow the spread of you infecting others, should you be infected. If only healthy people are wearing masks, they are all but useless. I used to count how many improper mask wearers there were during grocery store or Target runs, and the number was usually 15% to 25%. Just as bad as not wearing a mask, and again, if everyone isn't wearing a mask properly, then mask effectiveness drops significantly.

Masks for schools were also problematic. How many parents just put the same mask on their kid every day? Not effective. Schools are also longer term exposure. Masks can stop some viral particles from getting airborne, but not all. Short term, this might stop the spread. But long term, over hours, masks lose their effectiveness.

But I agree, that during the early parts of the pandemic, we were throwing everything at the wall hoping things would stick. What else could we do without any vaccine or therapeutics at the time? And limited information to boot?

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Everything you just said isn't backed by any RCT studies. So basically you are just making up stuff like the CDC did to make everyone think masks work. Like i've said, after almost 2 years and the Maskers have nothing to say except "they work, believe me". The rest of us know they don't. Just like lockdowns and school closures, this crew has been epically wrong. It would be funny except kids are being abused for zero reason.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Except for the masking RCT published in Science that you have had to try to figure out how to ignore.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Really? Show me the part where they showed masking kids works. Oops. Oh and it doesn't mean what you think it means. Out of 600 villages there was a 20 person difference in covid cases. WOW! Super impressed. It's amazing the maskers still think masks worked when we have real world data from everywhere showing they don't. Like I said, the maskers won't admit they were wrong for almost 2 years. Tough pill to swallow. It's already moved to clothe masks, soon you and the other maskers will be like "of course clothe masks don't work, i've said that the whole time" LOL. You keep telling yourself that sport.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    No I’m not going to admit masks did nothing. That is a dogmatic belief, defies common sense and not supported by science. You can have genuine discussions as to the degree of their effectiveness, or lack of it, especially given how people actually wear them. You can also have honest discussions about costs and benefits of requiring them. You can have discussions about the philosophical merit of requiring people to wear them. Perhaps their effectiveness has changed given more recent more transmissible variants. But to say they don’t do and never did anything at all is just stupid.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    The part that you know but that you don't say is that the control group and the treatment group were different sizes. So the mask group had both less cases and more people than the control group. You know that, but have written it out of your narrative in an attempt to try to psychologically deal with the fact that there is an RCT showing that masks work (and you really need there not to be).

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Yet only people over 50 had a difference in the data? Only people over 50 should wear masks? Too funny. The best part is you are clinging to that "study" as your answer. You maskers are going down with the ship. It's ok. Keep filling the bucket and tossing it over the side, it's really working...

You keep masking up. Also make sure no one is outside without a mask. Let's close parks, beaches, schools until we get to zero covid as well LOL. One would think someone couldn't be wrong on just about every covid issue, but man you are proving the naysayers wrong. Congrats man!

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

It's facts. Sorry to burst your bubble. I know it's a tough one to swallow. Some have said it for almost 2 years now. It's why every RCT before the pandemic showed masks don't work, yet somehow now we are to believe the "science" changed. It's embarrassing for the people who advocated for masks, but it was just cosmetic theatre and virtue signaling. No one was using N95 masks, the vast, vast majority were clothe masks, which are useless. Let alone making kids wear masks that don't fit. Just ridiculous. Go look at the data. I've posted enough of it over the past year that is for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yeah, this is how you psychologically deal with science that had results that you don't like and the feeling like your dogma might not be correct. I'm not interested in trying to work through your defense mechanisms. Just pointing out to those that are following at home that there was indeed a very large study (much larger sample than any other RCT on masks, which the literature admits were underpowered) that directly disputes your point.

Let me know if you ever want to talk about scientific studies in a manner that doesn't include the histrionics. But your histrionics bore me at this point. Good luck.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

LOL. You keep thinking masking works. Most of the rest of us outside of CA, NY and IL have been back to normal for year or so. Clinging to that "study" is awesome. What the study showed is social distancing works, not masks. But you know that but are backed into a corner, which I know and am taking advantage of. Just like I called you out on lockdowns and school closures. It never fails. You are on an epic heater of being wrong on covid. It's amazing to see. I'll be here to watch you go down with the ship.

• Agree Agree x 2