Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    Do you ever get tired of posting untruths on here? I think it's just pathological at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Let’s just hope the Ba.2 variant is less severe like omicron.

If this thing takes off super quick like omicron and omicron natural immunity is weak then we could be dealing with a real annoyance the rest of our lives. These waves might get tighter and tighter. Hopefully natural immunity can battle it down.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I can’t help you if you refuse to look at the data. These vaccines are not slowing the spread. Booster up my friend…

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    Why are we not surprised you failed to mention one of your earlier panaceas, the now nearly worthless monoclonals? Are flu vaccines worthless as well? Their efficacy is less than the covid vaccine.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  5. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Omicron changed the landscape for cloth masks. And, the issue isn’t whether they “work” or don’t. The issue is which work better. Which was never in debate. It was always N95s that nobody could get for a long time.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I don’t respond anymore. Q just waits until the contrary data is a few mages back and then posts the same untruths. And they blame the messaging and messengers for those who won’t get vaccinated.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This was a quote from the FDA thread (from reddit about outreach on vaccinations and fears):

I think it speaks to the idea that we did too little on a large scale in terms of outreach (there are other similar references within, just happened to pick this one because it was early and succinct). Folks who were engulfed with access to information had a completely different perspective than folks who were mostly sheltered from such access. I hope we listen to folks who have stories like this so we can better prepare for the next time a pandemic happens. It's important that our actions spread by wanting to participate rather than by being forced to participate. Our outreach was not nearly as good as some people thought it was, and that's the way forward with more success the next time around.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The issue I don’t believe is “outreach”, I mean what do you want the govt to do? Literally go door to door explaining vaccines?

The problem also is clearly not access to information, if anything it’s information overload caused by internet generated content. Some people are sadly incapable of basic critical thinking skills to effectively filter this bad info. I can only assume it is an issue with an under-developed pre-Frontal cortex in the brain, or something has caused this area of the brain to become damaged. These people may be adults physically, but they are incapable of the critical thought processes that you would expect from an adult human brain. Unfortunately some unscrupulous characters are committed to misinformation for profit and using these people as pawns. This has now infected our politics.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Nice red herring.

That said…we need new generations of the monoclonals like the other new drugs.

Is that mention good enough for you? I have been saying we need new generations of these drugs for a while. But you are still caught up on boosters and the current drugs that are not working.

10. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Live Q&A's and townhalls would have been appropriate in Alachua County, I can't speak for other areas. The main hospitals had localized townhalls, but not ones that were widely advertised to the public. Door to door is an exaggeration, but I think if the government can go to businesses to have them put notices up about mask requirements then they can certainly to go businesses to have them put notices up about a community outreach event.

The first part is semantics relative to the point, but more importantly, you are highlighting why the direct outreach approach was/is necessary.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    If you cannot see that the new “vaccines” have failed to slow the spread of this disease then you are not paying attention.

12. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Regeneron and Lilly are still VERY useful, the question is if they work for Omicron, data is still being assessed, it's far less virulent so kind of a moot point. In FLA last week 27% of analyzed samples were Delta the FDA yanking EA is stupid and very short sighted IMHO.

13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    You have an internet cult of people who think Dr. Fauci is akin to Dr. Mengele, that statements from the CDC are simply made up lies, and the real truth comes from some Twitter handle or Youtube Channel, there is no reaching these people with “outreach” until they are on their death bed, and even then only a % finally regret their choices. A number of them take the idiocy all the way to their grave (hopefully having not managed to impact anyone else in the public outside their family).

I’m not sure how to deal with it, unless some of the prominent liars get shot down with civil lawsuits and judgements, or perhaps fraud charges for the $$$ they take in for misinformation. But it’s a persistent game of whack-a-mole, not something likely to be “solved”.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.07.21267432v1.full.pdf
    Having prominent liars die of the thing they were telling people not to worry about wasn't enough. I don't imagine civil lawsuits would work if death wasn't enough.

15. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    In more optimistic news from pfauci, we're gonna need 4 shots now. :emoji_joy:

16. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Your view here is exactly why I quoted that comment from the ER doctor. People are more reachable than you give them credit for. More importantly, if there is no effort to reach them, then speculating on what they are capable of in terms of being reached is irrelevant. Dr. Fauci isn't who needs to be at the local townhalls. Local trusted doctors, nurses, and hospital leaders need to be there. They also need to field real questions from live people.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You know everyone defending the FDA for pulling the Monoclonal antibodies? And the garbage CDC saying 99% of cases are Omicron?

Here is proof they are full of crap. No one cares that the FDA is for sure going to kill people over this decision.

I'm sure we'll get a response from those posters saying "sorry, the data I posted was BS"...

Variants

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I think we are talking past each other a bit. I am in no way saying there should not be outreach and education. There absolutely should.

But you have to also acknowledge “outreach” only moves the needle slightly. People on the fence or truly open minded. To the 30% or whatever committed to insanity? fuggetaboutit.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I’m pretty sure those tables are cumulative.

20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    They are. Illinois' region (Region 5) was at 92.9% Omicron the week of January 8, which is the last stage in which the data is fully available. Given the trends, it is likely higher in the samples being collected now.

COVID Data Tracker