Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I was going from a position that if someone tested positive and then had two consecutive negative tests would at that point have the antibodies but that is a lot of testing. I wonder how quickly they could do the blood tests.

• Like Like x 1
  2. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    you also realize that the environment is much different in NYC than most places.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    New York is just farther along than most of the country.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Just pointing out that the attacks on Washington should not be the only criticism. some failure at the state level too...Including the one that is having the cases/deaths alone that roughly equal the same number as the other 49 states combined.

Hindsight works both ways.

5. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Potentially great news from Stanford on methods of reconditioning N95 masks.

"In summary bleach and microwaves were failures at point of care because the bleach
    gases (skin and respiratory irritants) remained after multiple strategies were used to remove them, the microwave melted the masks and soaking them first led to reduced filtration. EtO, UVGI, and hydrogen peroxide decontamination were safe and effective in the models tested but it is not known if they would retain filtration, material strength, and airflow integrity with repeated use. EtO, UVGI, and hydrogen peroxide limitations include time from decontamination to reuse and available space and materials to decontaminate in an OR setting. 70C /158F heating in a kitchen-type of oven for 30min, or hot water vapor from boiling water for 10 min, are additional effective decontamination methods."

mask-ppe-EBM-v1.1-3-22-20.pdf - Box

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013

From the same country that was part of the Russian collusion hoax.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. gatorstevelp

Apr 3, 2007
    Not sure how useful that chart is without factoring in how many tests were performed within the population. With the ramped up testing in the US our numbers in this chart will look much worse in the coming weeks. South Korea was lauded for their extensive testing of 15,000 people daily while the UK was testing 4,000 daily in hopes of increasing it to 25,000 daily. If I saw and interpreted Cuomo's statement today correctly i believe New York alone is now testing 45,000 a day.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. tilly

Davis my friend, I literally said "from a metrics perspective". I literally put the statement "in perspective".

I agree 100% it has its place..I was just curious why he keeps posting that stat in a vacuum. He explained it further and I thought his explanation made sense.

9. gator_fever

gator_fever GC Legend

Nov 3, 2013

If true about NYC peaking - the top for the US will be within 4 days probably.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. tilly

Not sure that is the case or how we determine that...I dont doubt you may be right, but the pure nature of people piled on top of each other makes it exponentially worse. It is hard to social distance in a city of people living in boxes stacked on top of one another as opposed to a suburban area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    That tweet is a lie, as other links upthread show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I grew up in Brooklyn so, yes, I do. And have lived in Atlanta, LA and Miami as well.

NY is our most extreme example but urban living is urban living. And there are going to be contextual outbreaks in virtually every urban area In the US because of density. Even New Orleans is having an outbreak. Not a bastion of density.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    That is easy to determine. Examine other cities and states and their curves. It is happening now on Tennessee, Atlanta, Missouri. Has been happening in Louisiana. Google is a good thing. Read what is being reported in local media in places around the country.

14. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Did you actually look at the data? They currently have 17x the cases that they had last week on Tuesday.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Difference is that the failure at the state level (at least in that state) wasn't inaction and lying after we already knew about the virus. People aren't angry at Trump for not seeing this coming. They're angry at him for what he did after we already knew it was coming (and here).

Well, considering our testing failures until very recently, I doubt that helps us.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. tilly

Ok snarky pants ;)
    My point is that we dont know that every state will follow the same line as NY basically because suburban areas can social distance much easier and thus be on a different curve.

Just kidding about the snarky pants part.:D

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. gatorstevelp

Apr 3, 2007
    If South Korea was praised for 15,000 daily tests I wonder exactly how many tests other countries were doing? I know the UK was 4,000 daily. If New York is now doing 45,000 daily that is probably blowing the doors off of the rest of the world.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    New York has doubled cases every 3 days.

how could anyone confuse that with peaking?

19. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    It is starting to. At the rate it is going we will be number 1 in total cases in 3 days. We had been flip flopping on new case total but will be the daily number 1 in that as well

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1