Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    And the fact that the vaccinated tend to be older.

It really says something when you present the obvious to people over and over but they keep coming back with the same dumb ignorant shit.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    good pt. vaxxed v. non vaxxed is def not randomized. & you know what? I think mr. don't politicize it's blind spot is politically induced.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    At this point, I can't help but believe you deliberately left out that the death rate difference in England in October was still 4.6x higher for unvaccinated (285.4) than vaccinated (62.4). Or or 223 more per 100k. Or a 357% increase in the death rate compared to vaccinated. Another way to think of it, a lot more unvaxxed are dying as a percentage of all unvaxxed compared to vaxxed as a percentage of all vaxxed.

One other thing, if over 90% of a population is vaccinated, it would absolutely make sense from a statistical and epidemiological standpoint that there will be more deaths among vaccinated than unvaccinated. This *phenomenon* is well known and not limited to covid.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yep, it is highly likely that the vaccination rate for the elderly there is higher than 94%. The estimate of ~80% effectiveness against death is likely much higher if you age adjust. As far as I have seen though, they haven't broken down vaccination rates at the state level by age.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Many dying right now are still from Delta.
    As Covid deaths rise, many still caused by delta variant, CDC says

Variant matters a lot. It’s well known now Omicron acts much more like a common cold. It’s not attacking the lungs the same way as delta. This means a lot less severely ill. To push your level of fear for a variant that showing to be much less deadly helps no one.

Florida hit nearly 90k daily cases with Omicron but barley touched 11k hospitalized.

For reference, Delta wave had peaked 23k daily cases and 17k hospitalized.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    congratulations on your persistence. at this point, it must be willful ignorance, which I will never understand.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Best thing you've written about Covid.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN

It doesn't matter how much you dumb it down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    You are left with the following choices when faced with persistent ignorance.

1. They just ignored the hundreds of posts and all other media sources that spell out the facts. Given the way the cherry pick facts and present them out of context it is clear they have seen the facts. This scenario seems implausible.

2. They just don't understand the facts in spite of them being presented and explained dozens of different ways. Given the way the disinformation is being selectively shelled out and contorted, it takes a fair amount of intellect to construct these lies. Thus I see this scenario as implausible.

3. They have seen the facts and understand them, but they just don't want to believe them, for various motivations so they delude themselves not to. This is a plausible scenario.

4. They see the facts but think they are all lies, as part of a giant conspiracy to perpetuate... Something nefarious. This is ridiculous but I this is true in a minority of the disinformed cases

5. They see and understand the facts. Period. They know at some level they are true. But they perpetuate lies anyway because they associate the unpleasant truth with "the enemy", so the must lie to defeat the enemy. I think scenario is quite prevalent.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    There is probably about a 4 week delay between infection and reported death. So yes, many deaths are mid December infections when Delta and Omicron were crossing. We are probably just starting to see omicron deaths now.

As to 90k infections and *only* 11k hospitalizations, that doesn't seem like something to celebrate.

12. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    The common link to many of these typologies is motivated reasoning, or what is also confirmation bias. Hence, the perceived dishonesty that seems to come from is actually a psychological inability to overcome one's own biases in considering data objectively. We can all do this with any number of issues, but sometimes such as on this thread, it can become glaringly obvious, frustratingly so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    It's one thing to ignore what would seem to be compelling reasoning or logic, it's quite another when you ignore obvious math. But clearly based upon current events people can be lead to believe quite ridiculous things if it fits a preferred narrative.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Who is celebrating? It’s merely giving some perspective. Not only was there significantly less hospitalized for Omicron, there were far less put into ICU.
    Hate to break this to you, but people get sick and die. The vast majority are 70 plus and it’s not even remotely close. That age group is also highly vaccinated. Not much more we can do there.

16. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    What would be the hospital rate and how many deaths would happen without monoclonal antibodies and the other therapeutic treatments that have become so much better at treating this disease?

You ask a question that cannot be answered with certainty. Just like my question cannot be answered with certainty. Hence we have to take a big picture look.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I just used the numbers from the article. But your numbers show the clear majority of deaths coming from the fully vaccinated.

18. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Oh the drama…

It is cute!

You keep focusing on these drugs that are pst their time. We need next generation drugs. Thankfully the therapeutics are much better now. For the vaccinated and unvaccinated.

19. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I have said multiple times that a majority vaccinated is part of why a majority is dying. But when the Vaccination rate at the end of October in England is 68% and the deaths are 85%…we can start to see that this is not a pandemic of the unvaccinated. Now of the 68% I absolutes think the high risk group at the end of October would be closer to the 85% and maybe more. And honestly that fits my hypothesis that the unhealthy are the ones at risk and at this point the new drugs are not doing much. We need the next generation of drugs. I really do not understand why some do not hear this. It is almost comical that some appear to want to disagree just because I am saying we need a new generation of drugs. Booster up. Get your monoclonals and Pfizer pill if you unfortunately get the disease. The good news is the Pfizer pill is showing good results. But of course it is the new drug geared for the alpha variant that is doing nothing to slow the spread that will be the reason for your outcome and not the therapeutic. :rolleyes::cool:

20. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Because you continue get a lot mangled up.

Citing the 85% completely misconstrues how many fewer deaths per 100k there are among the vaxxed. We can expect to see something like this because in a sense the death numbers for vaccinated represent the low end, comparatively. If vaxxed had the rate that unvaxxed had in England, the death toll would have been around 10k and if unvaxxed had the death rate of vaxxed, only about 85 would have died.

You've been saying we needed new drugs for several months now. And at some point, pfizer et all will produce one, but you still get the death numbers wrong and it's leading you to miss that the vaccines have held up damn well in protecting against severe sickness and death. And right now, as it has been, is incredibly important since every death is an excess one and most of those of unvaxxed could have been prevented if the person was fully vaxxed. Yes, the less healthy are more at risk, as are the elderly, but no one is at zero risk, so the young and healthier shouldn't be dying if this was just a cold as you like to say. A big part of the danger with covid is that it's not very predictable to an individual.

• Winner Winner x 4