Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    And we have the Biden Admin playing politics with monoclonal antibodies.
    They have no problem giving New York more doses of therapeutics than Florida. Florida - 11,834 courses (54 per 100k) New York - 21,370 (108 per 100k) Here is the allocation:

[​IMG]

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Kids going back to school…case numbers are going to be ugly imo. Good news is that this appears to be less severe.

3. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Who kept Granthem on staff though…

4. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Right wing logic: promote policies that promote disease spread and then criticize liberals for policies that mitigate disease and spread when the disease spreads. And for the consequences of that spread. Had the country mitigated the disease, this would not be an issue.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  5. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Danish study (preprint) finds the relative odds of household transmission of Omicron vs Delta increase with vaxx dosage. "Findings confirm the rapid spread of Omi can primarily be ascribed to immune evasiveness rather than an increase in transmissibility." Interesting data.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.27.21268278v1.full.pdf

[​IMG]

6. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Who's saying promote disease spread? But the real question is why are so many people dismissing natural immunity? You guys keep blaming others for the US being in this situation. That data is out there now. The sooner everyone realizes this and moves on with life the better.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  7. JG8tor

JG8tor Senior

Apr 9, 2007
    From the Danish study you just posted above:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Fauci? ;)

lol...I know. But the joke only works if you are talking about masks being defense. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Here is some more data from the study:

Among 11,937 households (2,225 with the Omicron VOC), we identified 6,397 secondary infections during a 1-7 day follow-up period. The SAR was 31% and 21% in households with the Omicron and Delta VOC, respectively. We found an increased transmission for unvaccinated individuals, and a reduced transmission for booster-vaccinated individuals, compared to fully vaccinated individuals. Comparing households infected with the Omicron to Delta VOC, we found an 1.17 (95%-CI: 0.99-1.38) times higher SAR for unvaccinated, 2.61 times (95%-CI: 2.34-2.90) higher for fully vaccinated and 3.66 (95%-CI: 2.65-5.05) times higher for booster-vaccinated individuals, demonstrating strong evidence of immune evasiveness of the Omicron VOC. Our findings confirm that the rapid spread of the Omicron VOC primarily can be ascribed to the immune evasiveness rather than an inherent increase in the basic transmissibility.

Attached Files:

10. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Exactly. The virus is more transmissible from those who are unvaccinated. Less transmissible from those who are vaccinated. And even less transmissible from those who have had a booster shot.

You need to show these results to the poster above who said "It matters zero who is vaccinated or not".

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, i'm for adults getting vaccinated. Thanks for confirming.

12. JG8tor

JG8tor Senior

Apr 9, 2007
    Thanks. I added some bolding to your post. Omicron does seem easier to transmit than Delta, even if you have 'natural immunity' (see ref. 19). Even still, from the standpoint of susceptibility, transmission, and outcomes the vaccine helps and the vaccine with booster helps more, so why did you post "It matters zero who is vaccinated or not when it comes to Omicron"? The study you posted proves that wrong. Since you are someone who has always advocated for anyone over 18 to be vaccinated, I'm sure you'll correct your erroneous statement.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Shouldn't have said that. Corrected my post. Thanks for pointing it out. I was wrong on that.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There's an article from November stating that unvaccinated healthcare workers were given a pardon due to lack of available vaccinated healthcare staff:

State health care workers get a pardon on Rhode Island's vaccine mandate

There's seems to be a recognition that unvaccinated healthcare workers > no healthcare workers.

I think the question is how many unvaccinated healthcare workers were actually let go?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Conceding that it's anecdotal based on a very small sample, this morning I watched an interview with a doctor who mentioned that all of his hospital's patients with severe cases of Covid-19 including the single patient who died from the Omicron variant were unvaccinated. Also conceding that I have no medical expertise, I'm vaxed and boosted. If I do contract the Omicron variant I will most likely experience very light symptoms and may not be symptomatic at all. Not beyond the realm of possibility that I may have already been infected. Around 10 days ago I experienced some minor nasal congestion and a minor sore throat. Most likely a cold or even an indoor allergy but could have also been a very mild case of Covid. Because the symptoms were so minor I didn't bother getting tested. I suspect that most vaxed individuals who aren't in positions requiring regular testing, aren't traveling internationally or aren't visiting vulnerable family members don't bother getting tested unless they are experiencing relatively significant albeit not severe symptoms.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I do think it is a fair point that the nature of Omicron is making the “oh, this is only happening because some selfish folks refuse to get vaccinated” talking point, at least currently, inaccurate.

As someone who is vaccinated, and boosted, and had COVID already before I got vaccinated, I’m not particularly worried about it in any event. But I know a pretty good number of people who have, or have recently had, COVID; I’m pretty sure they had all been vaccinated, and most had been boosted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Every time I read or hear of an anecdote of severely sick in hospital they still say they are all (or almost all) unvaccinated. It is kind of hard to extrapolate beyond that.

18. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Nothing like that around here. Think they said it was around 102 people in one of our local hospital systems - nurses, respiratory techs, imaging, etc.

19. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. Both sides have politicized this to the point the average person doesn't know who to trust. The vaccinated can and do spread Covid. There is zero doubt about that. If this was a rare occurrence then yes, you can blame the unvaccinated. The problem is that it is NOT a rare occurrence, and now the brilliant idea is to have healthcare/essential workers return to work while sick, while still contagious will only serve to increase spread. The ones remaining are vaccinated, yes. But if the PPEs are so effective, which they are, why cause shortages in the first place by firing people? That has ZERO to do with politics and everything to do with science. If you're contagious you shouldn't be working. Period.

Incidentally the majority of the practice I work for are Trump voters. Every last one of us is vaccinated and were vaccinated at 100% by end of March.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    Just wondering why the quote " The decision on whether to enact the policy is being left up to individual health care facility administrators." didn't state that only liberals were allowed to enact that policy?
    Would they have to produce a voter registration for it? Were Progressives not allowed to make that decision? Since the agenda driven TownHall site didn't find it pertinent to determine the political bent of the Eleanor Slater facility leadership, do we assume they're incompetent, or obtuse or likely figuring their readership is sufficiently dense to not question that essential fact?