Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Not at all. For example, IF an RCT showed that cloth masks worked, we would have that evidence. We don’t have that evidence so cloth masks don’t do anything to help stop spread of viruses especially as small as Covid. Epic fail. It must be quite embarrassing for you. Tough luck.

2. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom line is months ago no one on the “mask everyone” was saying cloth masks do nothing, now all of you guys/gals are acting like you knew this the whole time. Just admit you were wrong and move on. Really that simple.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. librarywestpatron2005

librarywestpatron2005 Senior

Jun 29, 2020
    A week ago my wife and I went to a comedy club in Florida. We and everyone else were unmasked (dinner and drinks required- I figured it’s dumb to have mask on only some of the time). Note I’m vaccinated and boosted, she was vaccinated (boosted now).
    Half the time I was thinking we’re gonna get corona, so be it. We’ll be a little sick and life will go on.
    Anyways one week later and no sickness. So either there was no coronavirus in that room (doubt it) or the vaccination actually fully protected us.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. librarywestpatron2005

librarywestpatron2005 Senior

Jun 29, 2020
    My opinion (maybe it’s fact) is that cloth mask did better job of protecting against original strain and delta than omicron.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with almost everything you wrote. However there are important pieces of information that we weren't made aware of. 1) if you did get covid, which variant did you get? I would suspect there is a difference in someones post covid immunity between having overcome the original variant and overcome delta yet patients are never told. 2) i haven't seen studies that show severity of illness from reinfections in people who had either variant and are unvaccinated - i haven't seen studies re: unvaccinated people who have had covid and get reinfected - compared to vaccinated people who get covid for the first time.
    Maybe that would shed light on natural immunity vs. vaccinated immunity. I've said all along people should not be job terminated if they are unvaccinated and already had covid, since the science is unclear on t his

6. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't think the goal of the vaccines is to give total immunity to Covid. The vaccines are not intended to be a magic shield against the virus. The goal is to allow your body to handle Covid more easily, to keep you out of the hospital and the morgue, and to reduce the length of time that you are capable of transmitting the virus to everyone else. It may also reduce symptoms like coughing that reduce transmission of the virus. These things seem like a positive to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008

Umm we have had multiple government officials including the president of the United States say otherwise. It’s the main reason they are pushing vaccine mandates so much.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh, dear. Another wild animal found with Covid.

'Very unsettling': Scientists see troubling signs in humans spreading Covid to deer

Needless to say, the vaccination rate for deer in the U.S. is very low. It's almost like they are avoiding the vaccine.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The J&J vaccine never tested above 67% efficacy at preventing a breakthrough case. But has been highly effective at preventing serious cases. Why approve this vaccine for use if its efficacy at preventing illness is low against the wild type of the virus if the goal is to have a "magic shield" against the virus?

The failure isn't with the vaccine, but the press regarding the vaccine. Vaccines aren't cures, but the media was allowed to run with the story as if it were. And not enough attention was given to the fact we were and still are in a grave between vaccine and variants, and one reason to vaccinate all is to lower the risk of new, deadlier variant. More people vaccinated, less people sick for less time, means less viral copies, and smaller chance of a new, mutated variant.

10. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    The vaccines are are touted as a magic shield of sorts for SOCIETY's battle against the virus, not the individual's battle against the virus. Government officials support the vaccine because the sooner everyone gets it, the sooner the virus will be behind us, not because no one will ever get sick with Covid after they are vaccinated. It's the same logic that prevails with the idea of "herd immunity". Once enough people have had Covid or been vaccinated for it, the virus should rapidly die out. By no means should anyone assume that herd immunity means that there is no chance they will catch the virus (and therefore no preventative measures are needed while the virus is still active).

Government officials are focused on protecting SOCIETY from Covid, not from protecting every individual from coughing people on the street. If it were possible, I am sure that they would like to protect every individual, but as we enter our third year with Covid-19 and its variants, its clear that this is not possible. Protecting SOCIETY from Covid is the best way to protect as many individuals as possible.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Maybe those government and public health officials also said that the vaccine helps reduce severity of symptoms and death, reducing the burden on national healthcare systems. And maybe people chose not to make an idiotic "gotcha" video from those valid statements.

12. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 4
  13. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    IS anyone questioning that? Not really.

However, claiming you cant get covid if you get the vaccine is a much bigger issue.

First, it's never been true.

Second, it gives a false sense of security.

Three, the statements are being used to push vaccine mandates that prevent people's livelihoods and schooling.

By the way, covid has not done much more to our healthcare system than a bad flu season. You can find articles from other years with the same articles showing hospitals overwhelmed due to flu patients.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Omicron is proof that mass vaccines cant be used to get covid behind us... geesh what a ridiculous statement to say.
    Are you paying attention at all???

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I agree and have said many times messaging has been terrible regarding the vaccines. Both the media and politicians on all sides really stinking up messaging.

I am not sure why there are some still not willing to take the vaccine especially if they are older or in a higher risk group. A part of the blame goes to messaging though.

16. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Getting it behind us as it becoming endemic and something we can live with and return to normalcy, like the flu.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    We haven't tried mass vaccines yet--30+% of the population is too scared or ignorant to get vaccinated. And half of them refuse to allow their activities to be restricted or affected in any way by the virus. They are depending on dumb luck to get them through this virus. A small percentage of them are keeping the virus alive, month after month, year after year.

Are you paying attention at all???

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. chemgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Everybody responds differently to the messaging. If you don't say it loudly enough or ominously enough, a large percentage of the population will decide that its not that serious and they don't need the vaccine. If you say it too loudly and too ominously, then others will parse your words with a microscope and decide you are lying and cannot be trusted, and therefore you should not get the vaccine based on the recommendations of a liar. It's a no-win situation, especially in a country as poorly educated as the United States.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

That isn’t true. Just wishful thinking.

20. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Trump would have been impeached for spreading covid misinformation.
    Joe Biden
    stated on July 21, 2021 in a CNN town hall:
    “You’re not going to get COVID if you have these vaccinations.”

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2