Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    And those are written into employment contracts you sign. Show me where any of those items get you thrown out of a restaurant by the police, or barred from graduations or events, or from using transportation (the talk of domestic vaccine mandate for air travel comes to mind). As for the flu shot like I've said they have that here. The opt out is you wear PPE. Here PPE has been removed from the equation, but it's ok to come work if your vaccinated & symptomatic...because PPE works. There is no nationwide mandate for the flu shot. With this, you either do it or you're out of your field. That is not ok.

That's akin to one of your DUI folks getting fired for the DUI, but the employer telling someone it's ok to come in & drive while drunk as long as they wear a seat belt.

2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    The government is making vaccinated people work while infected?

3. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Dem Governor Rejects Mask Mandates, Points Out the Obvious About How Well They're Working in NYC (townhall.com)

Dem Governor Rejects Mask Mandates, Points Out the Obvious About How Well They're Working in NYC
    Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont said Monday he won’t be continuing with a statewide mask mandate, The Daily Caller first reported. The Democratic governor pointed to New York City, where Covid-19 is spreading like wildfire even with a mask mandate in place.

Asked in a press conference about whether masks could also play a role in helping “curb the spike that we’re currently in,” Lamont said it doesn’t appear to be doing much in the Big Apple.

“Well it’s not curbing the spike down in New York City, which is probably ground zero,” Lamont responded.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    When is the last time we had a global pandemic that killed over 3 million across the globe, and 800,000 Americans? We need to make temporary accommodations for public safety purposes. You can argue some have gone too far, and you may have a point. Still, these are unprecedented times for everyone under 100 years old, as the last global pandemic was 1918. And it's not like too many other top 10 causes of death are communicable diseases like COVID, which is 3rd behind cancer and heart disease.

5. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Btw what we're celebrating is that my daughter finished her associates finally. She had almost her entire program done online which caused all kinds of problems, to have the college finally open this summer for in person learning. Her labs (all in clean rooms actually) for her class had to be done all at once, all 15 hours, in one short summer semester, which she did w all A's & a B.

For college students who have been able to make it through this mess it's been nothing short of a miracle & she & they have my complete admiration. A lot of kids dropped out around here.

• Like Like x 2
  6. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    CDC shortens isolation time for health care workers with Covid-19 - CNNPolitics

"In its new guidelines, CDC added that the negative test result should come within 48 hours of going back to work, and that this shortened time frame may also apply to some symptomatic staff — provided they are "mildly symptomatic" and their symptoms are improving."

7. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013

“We are seeing and expecting even more cases of this Omicron variant,” Walensky said. “Many cases are mildly symptomatic, if not asymptomatic. And the behavioral science. What will people do when they get back to work? If we can get them to isolate, we want to make sure they are isolating in the first five days when they are infectious.”

Walensky’s comments about the “behavioral science” playing a role in the CDC’s decision-making had not been mentioned previously. When the CDC first announced the change Monday, the director focused solely on the
    science behind the decision, saying in a statement that the recommendations are “based on what we know about the spread of the virus.”

What is this Behavioral Science?

CDC Director Walensky Says Shortening Isolation Guidance Was Partly Due To What Americans Could ‘Tolerate’

CDC Director Walensky Says Shortening Isolation Guidance Was Partly Due To What Americans Could ‘Tolerate’

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Maybe it's in there somewhere, but I don't see a government policy (these are guidelines, not enforceable government policies) making vaccinated people work while infected. Perhaps you are engendering a smidge of bias.

9. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    FastStats

Influenza was top 10. This was a fast search. Again, the restrictions in place do not match flu or other diseases. As for time? This started in late 2019. We're a few days shy of 2022.

It's time to learn to live with it like we do the flu & other diseases.

What bigger killer do you want than bubonic plague and it's STILL around?

Imagine the world if everything was shut down or restricted until eradicated?

The main purpose behind shut downs & restrictions was to not overload the healthcare system. Every winter it's overloaded by flu patients, COPD patients, etc, because things are cyclical. You add Covid-19. Then you fire workers over vaccines that mitigate but don't stop Covid. Btw those folks fired over not getting vaccines? They'll be uninsured & guess where they'll end up for anything (heart issues, covid, etc)? The ER. So the system gets overwhelmed anyways, which was what the mandates/shutdowns were meant to avoid.

10. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    I highlighted the part. If you're symptomatic (ex feverish) you are still contagious. That's from CNN who got it from the CDC. Heck you can be asymptomatic and still spread it.

My only bias is that it really makes ZERO sense. Again I'm vaccinated, my family is vaccinated, my parents & sister got covid & are vaccinated, and my entire medical office (from doctors on down) are vaccinated. That and I have full faith in PPE from wearing it and living a full life on heavier chemo than what I'm on now a whole year PRIOR to Covid.

Personal experiences provide everyone some kind of bias.

11. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I don't know about Buffalo, but generally speaking last year there were more restrictions, at least for the first wave when covid hit.

Again though, this is not just about you. It's about you, me, everyone.

Restrictions lower the risk of contacting covid while still permitting eating in public. Inconvenient? Definitely. But less inconvenient than unnecessarily landing in a hospital or the morgue or causing others to.

We are learning to live it with, but living with it doesn't and shouldn't mean going back to normal as if it isn't still killing thousands a day.

12. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Couple weeks ago I went to see Tootsie the musical…highly recommend. Anyways, the venue required proof of vaccine. I brought my vaccine card. It was fairly light. And then I had to show an ID so they can make sure the name in the card matched the photo ID. Biggest inconvenience was pulling the card out of my wallet since sometimes it’s hard to pull out. And I was able to accomplish all that while wearing a mask. So I see nothing wrong with the process. And I’m all for requiring vaccines to fly since I’d feel more comfortable knowing the person sitting next to me on a plane was vaccinated. Better yet, go back to blocking off middle seats

• Like Like x 2
  13. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Flu usually hovers around 6-8, depending on severity. Annual deaths are often between 12,000 and 60,000 a year. Nowhere near what we are experiencing with COVID. If we can get COVID down to a flu level of deaths, then we can discontinue this discussion. At that point, COVID would be endemic only, and likely only to hit certain areas with significant number of unvaccinated people and the elderly hard. Would be bad, but not the current numbers we are seeing while we are still in the pandemic.

14. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    We have Hamilton here at Shea's. You had to bring proof of vaccination, etc. It was canceled because of the spike. Even though the audience was required to be vaccinated, and so were the actors.

For parents who are divorced, try to think about the logistics of having a card to take back & forth. The app was supposed to take care of that but now we need both. Also try reminding little ones to bring home their ID all the time from school (usually in their lockers since library time is usually once a week).

What I'm trying to get to is this isn't curative or preventative. You can still get & spread it. Your degree of illness will be way less but you can still infect others and spread it.

As to flying I'd rather see people spread out but air is so recycled you'd be better off wearing an n95 for your safety. Again, did that. On chemo. With lupus etc. My n95 gives me more security than whether someone is vaccinated. Covid isn't the only thing that could hurt me.

That's just me though.

15. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Other than about 6 weeks we've been in some level of restrictions/shutdowns since March 2020. My son was out of school from March 2020 to this September, and they're still restricted in the school, & we're waiting to see if they're shutting down again.

I haven't been off work because our office was deemed essential & we had covid patients, high risk patients etc. Will say traffic was better. And yes was pulled over a few times asking where I was going & why I was out.

16. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008

Did you actually look at the numbers.

What’s that saying about statistics? Lol

It’s no where near delta levels despite doubling the daily cases of delta.

17. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Bubonic plague is a really poor example to use to support this argument.

18. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
  19. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Hospitalizations always lag behind cases, because most people don't go into the hospital instantaneously to the hospital. Can you back up the notion that 90 pediatric hospitalizations is "nowhere near delta levels?" I found an article saying that the figure at the end of August, which is towards the end of the Florida delta surge, was 72.

Pediatric COVID-19 hospitalizations in Florida reach record highs

But how is a 410% increase not consistent with what is being seen in New York?

20. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I particularly “enjoy” the posts Blaming the messaging for people not getting vaccinated. It isn’t messaging. It is on them for messengers who they choose to listen to. They ignore the message. And if we had virologists on this board, they would ignore them, too. Reasoning with them is a waste of time, too. There is no reasoning with them. We need to protect ourselves from them. I have so many conservative friends who are vaccinated, wear masks etc. I have several friends who had Omicron and are over it. They had colds. Imagine a country with a 95% vaccination rate where there was a cold going around? Who would care? That was the goal. But the 40% unvaccinated killed it. They have left us where we have to be concerned if hospitals will be overrun by numbers of them for the most part. And they preach to us about their freedom. They are jut selfish self absorbed scum spreading their sanctimonious messages. And so smug in their ignorance. Enjoy debating with them. I am just going to post information.

• Winner Winner x 5