Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    And the consequences from each disease are part of that equation. It's a ridiculous question with no merit.

2. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    so gauging the effectivness of vaccines has no merit? how do you then tweak them if you have no data to show how they work, just take people's word for it?

3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Flu vaccines have radically different effectiveness each year because they require an educated guess as to what types of flu are going to spread in a year. It averages about 40% effectiveness at preventing infections. Covid vaccines have consistently shown better performance than that at preventing infections.

4. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    It actually isn't to an extent. Yes, covid is bad and causes more damage than the flu...but the flu itself can be fatal even to healthy individuals. It's why the flu shot is so heavily encouraged. We have had flu PANDEMICS and now it's an endemic situation. It's a guess yearly based on trends as to which strain is covered by the shot. It helps prevent you from getting it, and if you do get it it's much milder than without the shot.

The same is happening with covid. We are reaching a point (forget with doctor was saying this on CNN this morning) where covid is/will be endemic like the flu. While highly successful in preventing death or severe symptoms, it does NOT keep you from getting it. The likelihood decreases but you can still get it & spread it. Like the flu.

Some of you say not to let perfection be the enemy of good. Absolutely. Shutting down and restrictions when there was no vaccine or treatment made sense. Now we have vaccines & treatments. It makes ZERO sense to fire people over something that is good, but not perfect.

Some of you are looking for perfection and want mandates, restrictions, forced vaccinations, and now Israel is rolling out a 4th dose. What will constitute full vaccinations? At what point does society say enough & learn to live with it, like the flu?

Folks need to get vaccinated. But digging your heels and claiming this is the ONLY solution won't help anyone.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    As to athletes we just had to deny participation to 2 whose echos showed abnormalities after covid (one had a breakthrough after vaccination, other got covid w/o vaccination a while ago). Athletes should be closely monitored regardless of status. Echos are easy.

6. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I mostly agree with you here, but the fact is we are figuring it out as we go. Perhaps we are reaching the point where vaccine mandates aren't worth the fight. I still think in principle if it cuts down infection and spread even modestly it is worth doing, and a mandate is not an unreasonable ask, especially for health care workers. We may be approaching the point where it is like the flu and we just have to learn to live with it, but I'm not sure we are there yet. We still have more than 1000 people a day dying from covid. That's a lot more than the flu.

As to your follow up post, it goes to show that there is a real risk of cardio issues from the actual disease that far exceeds similar risk from the vaccines.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Not when your purpose is to simply find an excuse to complain about the Covid vaccine.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Why Covid Death Rates Are Rising for Some Groups

This is a really good article with some good graphs and visuals of the changing demographics of covid. Nothing earth shattering but sometimes visuals are more powerful.

Basically-

A lower share of older people are dying of covid, and a higher share of younger people, due to higher vaccine rates in older people coupled with greater transmisability of Delta

The trend are better for some minorities than whites as they have been more receptive to vaccines in later stages.

Percent vaccinated by state highly correlates to deaths per capita.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    where did i say anything negative about the vaccine? if so, why am i fully vaxed?i am asking about, after almost a year of it, how really effective it is, seeing we are having so many fully vaxed get covid. i am sorry if questioning it offends you, people want, and deserve to know if it is really all it is suppose to be.

10. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    i am not a doctor, but it seems to me that data and results from vaccines for measals, polio, the flu, etc took alot longer to gather and analyze than the less than a year we have had the covid vaccines. again, people need to know how it is working and long term effects, and yes i know this is a unusual situation, but running full head-on may not be the long term solution.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You really need help with this?

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Your risks are different than another’s risk. You want to take multiple trips to Walgreens for the flavor of the month. By all means. Others do not.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Great visualizations showing the vaccines are working. The percentage of people dying from COVID 65 and older is smaller than those 25-64! Just imagine what the death rate could drop to if everyone eligible was vaccinated?

The thing about the vaccine is it just doesn't protect you. Vaccinated people are less likely to get the virus, and if they do, rid themselves of the virus days faster. Meaning less spread of the virus for all.

If everybody were at the 89% vaccinated like those 80 and older, we would be in the endemic phase. Hospitalizations and deaths would be reduced dramatically, and people who did get a breakthrough case would statistically more likely to get a mild case. Not to mention, those who recover from a breakthrough case have super immunity, masking them even less likely to get and pass COVID in the future. But the key is get everyone eligible vaccinated.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    if questioning the effectiveness of the vaccine is your point, yes i am guilty of questioning it based on the sky-rocketing numbers now, if it was what it was said to be i cannot fathom all the new cases, again, data takes years to fully analyze, not 12 months.

15. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    When your risk taking can negatively effect me and my health, then your risk is my risk too. That's why we have drunk driving laws and speed limits. Or should we just let people set their own driving risk tolerance levels too?

The less people who get COVID, the less risk I have. The best way to reduce the risk of getting COVID? Short of becoming a hermit, it is to get vaccinated. Lowers your risk of getting sick, and if you do, allows you to recover days faster, reducing the risk you pass the virus onto others.

And the mRNA vaccine is no flavor of the month. It has over 30 years of research behind it. It also has a year with billions of jabs showing short term safety, and the fact all ingredients break down and leave the body in less than 12 hours, making long term issues from the vaccine at just about 0%.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    You are not at more risk by hanging out with an unvaccinated or vaccinated person. If one of them has Covid..then you are at more risk.

If you want to shut down because you are afraid to be around people who are not sick. That is on you. Those people vaccinated and unvaccinated are not putting you or anyone else at risk.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I'm going to make an assumption here but I imagine the vaccines were built off of decades of prior advancements. I mean when someone buys a new model truck or car they aren't buying a model made from scratch.

18. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    again, if you are fully vaxed and it is doing what is is suppose to do, and you wear a mask, how are you at risk? you are at risk because the full effectiveness of the vaccine is not yet known, so you can choose to live your life in fear, or in the open.maybe 2 years from now studies will show how effective the vaccines are.

• Like Like x 1
  19. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    but was this vaccine built off of previous ones with it's type of structure? is it the same as swine flu or hong kong bird flu or different?

20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Flu shots are different every year. So, no, you don't have more than a year of data for each flu shot.