Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Glad I didn't booster yet...just got email from my doc saying for me to get the full dose 3rd versus a booster since my immune panel is lower than last set. Good thing I'd already arranged for time off work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Also in the middle of this pandemic & the back & forth, take a pause today to remember those not around this holiday, spare a kind thought for those who have lost someone, are ill/have someone ill, etc.

Regardless of point of views, etc, take a moment to wish a peaceful holiday. Merry Christmas.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  3. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    of course it is.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    so you resort to insults, mods, intervein here please

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    take it from one who has been there, do not be the 2nd person to insult someone, it does not end well, just e-mail a moderator and point out the violations and force them to do something.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Honestly who cares about the avatar. I don't. You can argue either way about it being political. If it offends the mods they can do something about it. It doesn't bother me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011

I’ve never cared about the avatars. It’s something a child does. I just thought it was interesting that this new stickied rule pops up and he changes his avatar to something that is still clearly political.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    So ban him a week for the avatar violation and you a week for calling them jackasses (for the record, I am not arguing with the accuracy of your "assessment" of those particular posters)

9. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Don’t really see an increases anywhere close in relation to their rise in cases.
    Hospitalizations always delay cases so this could change but by now there should be an obvious trend.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Then why come that idiot Fauci's out there telling everybody to booster, booster, booster? More ready, fire, AIM from that fool. I already got boostered and I'm done getting jabbed.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  12. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Because in my case I'm still on low-grade chemo, have lupus/RA, so I fall under immune compromised. My white counts are lower than what my doctor would like currently, so in MY case the booster wouldn't offer adequate protection, plus I was vaccinated in February so I'll be closer to a year than a number of folks.

Incidentally I was told from day 1 I'd need at least a booster due to my issues so the whole booster/3rd dose wasnt surprising for me. YMMV & decisions should be made with your own doctor who knows you & your health history.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    I didn't mean it as an affront to your decisions about your health. I'm just ticked at how they rushed this booster out and now they're already hedging on its efficacy. Cha-ching.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    No worries. It seemed like you didn't know why I was getting a 3rd full dose versus a booster so was explaining.

For the record people should still be consulting with their doctors. Fauci can say whatever he wants but no one person's case is the same & he is not their doctor.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The Pfizer booster is a full dose; the Moderna is around half of its full dose.
    https://sharedsystems.dhsoha.state.or.us/DHSForms/Served/le3898B.pdf

Once again the key isn't complete prevention although that would be the ideal, it's prevention of severe cases and the boosters are apparently effective at doing so although actual data is somewhat limited at this point in time.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  16. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Omicron is spreading like wildfire through South Florida. Most everyone I speak to has either had the virus or been boosted. Some in all categories. Those who have had a prior immune response are getting mild cases. Colds from which they function. Everyone I hear from says the same thing. One friend told me that he has a cold and that he would otherwise work or play golf. But since he hasn’t cOVID, he is isolating. For me, I am vaccinated and boosted and will never know if the illness I had in March and April 2020 was COVID. But, my view is that I will do what I want, but wear masks indoors around others. I think in a couple of months, we are going to see very few cases. It is not a bad thing if Omicron turns out to be a mild cold. That is what Coronaviruses eventually become. And, it certainly helps if our immune systems are educated by prior exposure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    For the reasons noted in my post in thread 32057, I am tired of the mask and vaccine debate. If you are not vaccinated, and you don’t have a medical reason for avoiding it and you refuse to wear a mask, that is on you. You are playing the odds. Just know that the fact that you can post here still proves only that you gambled and won. A bunch of unvaxxed chise to live free or die by being hospitalized and dying at a level of 1000% higher than the vaccinated. That was what numerous studies found. That is what 10 times means. If you can’t look at that statistic and you still think that breakthrough infections prove that the vaccines don’t work, then you are beyond help at this point. Because the science had been explained repeatedly here. And the statistics on serious illness have been explained. I had an experience yesterday where someone asked my friend why he wears two masks. And why get vaccinated when there are breakthrough infections and she had one. I said I would answer her questions. When I started to explain having trained immune response and lower viral loads, she just interrupted with a smug, arrogant look on her face and started talking about therapies. As if therapy after illness is a better option than steps that prevent serous disease and spread. And I went off on her attitude. Because I don’t like smug arrogance from those with little knowledge or understanding who ask questions that they don’t want answered. Same debates here. And I am done with them. I just feel bad for the immunocompromised who are exposed to bigger viral loads and risk by those who choose to increase that risk for others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The answer to the health care worker wearing PPE versus being vaxed is a non starter. PPE is not mutually exclusive of vaccines. Do both to protect others.

19. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    My booster vs full is because I got Moderna. Dr is recommending 3rd full Moderna not the booster for me.