Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    we can do that, but remember that death recordings lag,so we will never really know how many there were on a actual day,week, or month.also, again, what defines when the spike or peak is over,a 25,50,75% reduction?again it will vary state to state, some will drop much earlier than others.

2. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Because the technical briefings are primarily about "variants of concern" as the report titles' imply. Not vaccines. There's variation throughout those reports on what specific information they provide. They're not clearinghouse data. You can find hard data on the UK here

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That was NYTimes data. I had looked at it yesterday when someone used it make the claim that New York was seeing a huge spike and Florida wasn't. I try to use the same data source as the person I'm talking with so that we are looking at things the same way.

If we are using worldometer, they have 1,948 as our number of new cases for the 13th and 9,435 for the 20th.

Worldometer goes into the details and pulls out which day the cases should be recorded on when the state dumps them all on one day. The NYTimes just reports them as the state reported them.

Both datasets tell the same story.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I did not see a breakdown of the vaccinated verse the unvaccinated on quick glance? That is what some of the old technical briefings provided...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    New Vaccine on the way ( Sorry if this was covered )

SILVER SPRING, Md. – A series of recently published preclinical study results show that the Spike Ferritin Nanoparticle (SpFN) COVID-19 vaccine developed by researchers at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) not only elicits a potent immune response but may also provide broad protection against SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern as well as other coronaviruses.

Scientists in WRAIR’s Emerging Infectious Diseases Branch (EIDB) developed the SpFN nanoparticle vaccine, based on a ferritin platform, as part of a forward-thinking “pan-SARS” strategy that aims to address the current pandemic and acts as a first line of defense against variants of concern and similar viruses that could emerge in the future.

Series of preclinical studies supports the Army’s pan-coronavirus vaccine development strategy

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gogator7444

gogator7444 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Example: We had county officials sending people to kids baseball games secretly taking pics of parents & kids to make sure masks were up and chairs 6 ft apart, OUTDOORS. Teams would be fined and risk losing their permits to play for the season if there wasn't compliance. Have you played baseball? Seen how far apart they stand? Know what it's like to have someone walking through taking pictures of kids? Let me tell you it's creepy. Players constantly looking around nervous to see if they were being watched. At one point we had to produce our licenses to show we were allowed to be there as only immediate relatives were allowed to attend. After having my address questioned enough I started carrying utility bills too.

Meanwhile the county executive was having pizza parties and golf outings with his buddies unmasked & large groups, having hockey games, etc.

I'll trade you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Wearing PPE in a surgical field, etc, is standard practice. You can't substitute full shielding to protect an open cavity.

If given the option to have a nurse in PPE or a vaccinated nurse, hands down I pick the PPE. Covid isn't the only thing you can catch that's deadly especially when your immunosuppressed like me.

Now, there has always been the option of either the flu shot or PPE for those that have had flu shot requirements. There is no option here. No PPE, no testing, it's either Vax or fired.

For the general public...yeah there are those that won't do either. Okay that's their choice. Protect yourself. That's the only part of the equation you can control with any disease.

8. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Unfortunately the UK isn't providing that info on their data website as of right now.

Yes, some of the old tech reports did, but vaccinations were never the main focus. The reports vary with the specific issues they address.

9. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Funny that we can't get such a simple and important piece of data.

10. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    is that you hair salon nancy, boat riding gov. of michigan, french restaraunt newsom, karaoke mayor of san francisco,pennies for the peasants, pounds for the rich.

11. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Hang on. He's scrambling to find a remote island that has the data he wants. It won't be generalizable and may have to do with dental patients from 2015, but you'll get "the" data. Or maybe you won't.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    In mandating vaccinations, hospitals are saying to the patient, you don't have to choose. Just as healthcare workers must wear ppe, they will have to be vaccinated. Unlike the flu, the reasoning for mandates is that we are in a pandemic. The flu is seasonal and we haven't had pandemic spread since 1968 w/Influenza A.

The thing about vaccines and prevention is that it's not only about individuals protecting themselves. At high enough rates of protection, there are herd or community immunity benefits. With large numbers of people eschewing vaccinations, they aren't only affecting themselves, but others around them, often inadvertently due to the nature of covid transimissabilty.

If this virus didn't spread easily (or airborne) and wasn't deadly like it is, the response wouldn't be as urgent or acute. On the *softer side* so to speak, there's a reason why from the outset, public health experts raised immediate concerns. Infectious disease can be disastrous, and from the very beginning they recognized the grave potential from a few novel cases. Two years later, we can understand why.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Then why do you insist on cherry-picking NY data?

15. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I assume because there’s lots of people on this board living in NY…or not

16. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    No I'm in western NY. o_O

• Like Like x 1
  17. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    not talking about you,, about all the hypocrites, like you know who ex-ny gov.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  18. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    i focus on new york because some have compared it to what desantis was/is now doing, just showing that the policies of new york, ie mask mandates, vaccine mandates, forced business shut-downs just did not work, yet florida doing the opposite is doing better, go figure allowing people to live freely is actually better than forcing.

19. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    We'll have to agree to disagree on the risk/benefit ratio of firing qualified medical personnel during a pandemic.

As to the response, the moment Faucci said masks weren't needed I'd turned to my daughter wide-eyed and said "Is he NUTS?!?!?".

We are still in this 2 years later due to a combination of factors. The truth of the matter is that this is now part of life, like the flu. For someone like me the flu on a regular basis can be DEADLY, hence why folks like me, those at risk, etc get the flu shot. Until it can be a certainty that getting vaccinated STOPS the spread I can't support firing people over not getting it when they could get tested/wear PPE instead. Giving research/science time they could probably come up with a more effective option. I'd be happy to change my stance then.

20. gogator7444

Nov 24, 2021
    Buffalo NY
    Oh!...duh. sorry :)