Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

In all honesty, I have no idea what a good number of tests is. I do know that according to Dr.Ashish Jha who has been tough on the POTUS and our testing that we had 45.000 yesterday. That would put us at 1M tests in less than a month. (He called for 3x more in fairness. Nearly 3M in the next month if he had his way)

He called for a National Quarantine the other day, but he says he now sees "light at the end of the tunnel."
    I know it will get discounted because he said those things on Fox. (I saw it on twitter because I find the guy to be a great level head on the matter) and note he is on MSNBC quite often as well. He says the next 10 days will be huge, but Social distancing may very well be going its job.

For those unaware: Ashish Jha is an American health scholar, currently the K.T. Li Professor of International Health at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    and that is a bad thing?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    The tweet was stated as FACT is all. A lot of fact pumping going around these days. First victim of a crisis is the truth!

4. tilly

You mean the one defending his own butt? C'mon man I genuinely respect you as a poster, but That would mean one in every 360 people got tested in a month. You and I both know that seems crazy. If that is the case, why wasn't that the lead story every night? That would be a HUGE story. Fact is, most of us had no idea that many infections and deaths were even happening.

5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I agree. He shouldn't have said fact if he didn't know it was definitively true. Based on your numbers, it does not seem to be true.

Not if they were including people internationally (who used the Obama admin's test to develop their own). Regardless, ElimiGator provided numbers that I can't refute. I can't verify Klain's claim, so I conceded the point.

6. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 3
  7. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    maybe just be careful what you post from now on. Thx.

8. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You don't get banned for your opinions

9. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Two things. My sister is a physician in Florida with 30% lung capacity due to life long asthma. She has continued working b/c that is who she is, but a person in her office came down with symptoms. They cannot get a test for that person - in a medical facility. That is absolutely criminal in this wealthy country and personally infuriating.

Second, I am not like my sister. I am a business guy. I shorted corporate debt b/c corona virus or not, corporate america grossly over extended on high yield debt to buy back stock and leverage gains. I bet against them and am making money now - but the Government just announced they are buying bond etfs to "support the bond market." WHY are they focusing on supporting bad decisions by corporate debtors more than testing? Completely screwed up...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No kidding....just listen to Trump on a daily basis.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    And for every selfish beyond words grandchild that approaches his or her grandparent with that thought, I hope their inheritance gets left to some cat museum.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Ha! No, I didn't. I chose not to bury my head in the sand and pretend that he wasn't asking people to read between the lines. It's amazing the lengths you'll go to avoid acknowledging that we humans don't have to be told something verbatim to understand the implications of it.

If I see a white bouncer let in 20 white guys wearing striped shirts and then tell the one black guy in line that he's not allowed in because he's wearing a striped shirt, I don't need for that bouncer to have said, "You're not allowed in because you're black" to know what he means. Similarly, I don't need Dan Patrick to literally say, "Grandparents should sacrifice themselves for their grandchildren's economic prosperity" to understand that's what he's advocating.

That tweet isn't going anywhere. And those of us who aren't willing to do mental gymnastics understand his message.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Nic

Nic Premium Member

Jan 26, 2010
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    I know that, it was a joke.

15. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    I am now. Really haven't posted much in the last month or so. I have a bit more in the past week . But I know who to respond to and who not. There's several here that whine and in my opinion try to get others banned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    1) Comparing early H1N1 stats to Covid19 is inaccurate. The flu season doesn't peak until winter time. This means until that time, comparing either the mortality growth rate and the testing frequency would give give a false impression.

2) Reopening businesses won't mean much if we continue to have widespread community transmission. People aren't gonna just flock to restaurants, gyms, etc. if we're still having hundreds of deaths a day, which is probably where we'd settle at if we reopened businesses in a week. In any case, I think Trump will hold off on it for a little while longer. Most likely the daily mortality will be in the several hundred range in a week and trending up, and he wouldn't be able to make a convincing argument on why the timing is right until the rate starts to fall.

3) The viral load matters. This is a big point that not many talk about. Being exposed to a few viral particles aersolized in the air is not the same as a heavily infected guy coughing in your face. So don't pay much attention to stuff like it can float in the air, or it can stay on a cruise ship for 17 days, and stuff like that. You're most likely to catch it by someone coughing very close to you or touching things the droplets land on within a short period of time. Wash your hands, wear a mask if possible, and keep your distance, and you're most likely gonna be fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Yes

18. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ask your parents and in-laws if they’re willing to gamble a 10% chance of giving up 10-20 years of their lifespan so their grandchildren don’t have to live through a recession and then get back to us. Frankly, that assertion is one of the dumbest things I’ve read. Asteroid hitting Earth? Sure, I could get behind that. It’s unrecoverable. A recession? GTFO. Anyone advocating that is doing so for partisan reasons, antiscience, or can’t properly weigh trade offs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Just curious, if she just assumed she has corona and quarantined herself for 2 weeks and took OTCs for her symptoms, would she be doing anything different than if she had a positive test?

20. tilly

I quoted CNN.
    He quoted a thin skinned partisan who got called out.

Which one sounds more like fever to you?