Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Coronavirus in the United States - news and thoughts

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorNorth, Feb 25, 2020.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I have never been in bad shape, but I watched my dad go through a really tough time a few years back. They had to live with is for a month due to hurricane repairs on their home.

I watched him struggle with things that could have been prevented younger

It opened my eyes...and his thankfully.
    He has tested positive this week as well and will begin antibody treatment tomorrow. He has had lung issues most of his adult life for reasons we don't know

I say all that to say, that I changed a lot about how I eat and how much time I spend in the gym and tonight I am really glad I did, as at 5 days in , I am just experiencing very minor symptoms compared to many.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  2. tilly

Thanks man. Yeah. It's starting to spike on this end of the state too. Couple that with the roller coaster 75 degree one day...30 degree the next junk and everyone is experiencing something. So testing is hard to schedule.

3. coleg

coleg GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2011
    Odd, I was certain that Florida had a large number of covid deaths in assisted/ long term care facilities. In fact Florida leads the nation in that category. They must have all been sneaking out at night so's they had it coming. Right?

4. tilly

Look I am pro vax, but the fact that the breakthrough cases are spiking proves this isn't doing what they hoped at the onset.

I get that science isn't perfect and I respect that, but hopefully we all get healthier in general and the vax works well enough to keep making things better.

I trust that it will.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Diesel350z

Diesel350z GC Legend

Apr 29, 2007
    If the vaccine didn’t work as you claimed then we would be seeing just as many vaccinated hospitalized or dying as unvaccinated regardless of age or conditions. The unvaccinated elderly are many times more likely to be hospitalized or die than the vaccinated elderly.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    My dad had bypass at 53. That was life changing for me. Still in my 20s I was ignorantly invincible. Then at 28 years old (November 2008) the scale hit 197 and while I was active…I knew I was not doing what I needed to do. I am now just under 160 and ran the Turkey trot 5K in Palm Coast in 18:53. It is not easy to be healthy. It really is a commitment. The Love of My Life (My Wife)/my daughter being born in March of 2008 followed by my other two kiddos/my dad’s circumstance make that commitment easier though!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    booster or how long since your second shot?

8. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    You can say this countless times and they will never acknowledge it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009

About 25% of the population is over 60. 74% of the adult population is considered overweight. Plus whatever other preexisting conditions not included in those two.

So bravo. You have correctly asserted that more than half of the population has a majority of deaths. We eagerly await the results of the peer review of these stunning revelations.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Who exactly is they?

Hopefully you survive your inevitable natural immunity booster.

11. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    over 800k dead americans and hundreds of thousands of health care workers would vehemently disagree with you

• Like Like x 1
  12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I don't know what an ID guy is but clearly you are asking the wrong ones.

It is quite simple. As a general rule, higher doses, whether immediate or cumulative, tend to bring about a stronger antibody response. Also, for many, the two doses were given more than 6 months ago and the antibody response has waned. Boosters are more recent and as such will still have antibody response at this point.

What is not definitively known is if the booster will increase the long term immunity once the antibodies have waned. To date the 2 dose regimen in most cases still gives substantial protection against severe disease and death. 6 months to a year from now, will the 3 dose recipients have more protection against serious illness and death than the 2 dose recipients? That isn't definitively known yet.

I think one hint that the 3 dose will improve long term immunity is overall the Moderna vaccine scores better than Pfizer, and Moderna was a substantially stronger / higher dosage vaccination. Plus I think it was spread out a week more between dose one and two.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    so if your son gives your parents covid and they die from it do you think that might impact him or he will just think they were old, no real loss. do your parents wear seat belts?

14. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I guess I have to ask you too. Who is "they"?

15. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    ID= Infectious Disease.

All multi dose vaccines give some protection even with the first dose. No maybe there is small protection vs Omicron and they just don’t have data yet.
    Also as immune response varies from subject to subject the number of shots varies for good immunity. Some people have excellent immunity from one dose of Hep B
    the reason it’s 3 shots is because that’s how many is needed for the vast majority for good immunity

16. tilly

I was late to the party. 2nd shot was August.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. tilly

The people giving us some forecasted numbers that were a bit too optimistic.
    A vaccine that truly blocked 90% +/- of infections for starters. It hasn't worked out that way

18. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Unvaccinated comprise about 83% of all cases. Vaccinated 17%. (Hospitalizations and deaths of vaccinated comprise about 7%).
    That's pretty damn good, no? I mean, not quite 90% for cases, but not exactly far off either.

19. RIP

RIP I like touchdowns Premium Member

Feb 2, 2015
    That was against the alpha strain and it was true. Delta and omicron changed the game.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Those were not "forecast" numbers. Those were the numbers from the clinical trial, as well as the real world results of the vaccine for several months. The vaccine initially shows 90% efficacy, which begins to reduce after 6 months or so. Of course that was against the original strain. Obviously Delta variant was a different animal which chipped away at that, and this one also seems even more evasive of any prior immunity. That being said, sounds like the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine still have some effect even against Omicron, particularly with the 3rd dose. Though how long that lasts is anyone's guess.